Author Topic: Grumman FB-2G Grebe - FINISHED - pic's pg.5  (Read 24528 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: Grumman FB-2G Grebe
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 06:47:01 PM »
Awesome styrene surgery!!!

Did you flip the wings or just the engines to get the top-wing mount?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »
Thanks guys! :icon_alabanza:

The nacelles have been flipped & fitted to the opposite wings, I've also cut off the front of the nacelles & re-attached them right-side up, & I've fitted the rear section of the nacelle (a separate unit) up the right way ... hence the big V-shaped gap at the rear.

Now, back to the PSR! :o
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »
There is movement on this but it's the slow & painstaking scratch-build construction of a "Catalina"-style main-gear system.

So far pretty happy with the results but still a fair way to go.

I might do photo's tomorrow, if I get the chance, just to give you a sneak preview.

:)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 04:53:06 AM »
Here they are;

Landing gear (still a WiP):

The Grebe with wings dry-fitted:

Cheers, All! :)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 05:50:18 AM »
Very nice job on that landing gear Guy   :) :) :)  The top strut should have a hinge in the middle, when doing my Sunderland's gear I had thought it was a hydraulic cylinder but then I had an opportunity to look at a real Catalina/Canso gear while at a museum and saw that it was a rigid strut with a hinge midway, where the strut folded in half as it retracted.  There was a cylinder too, but it attaches to the top wish-bone like this below
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:57:27 AM by kitnut617 »

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 06:35:38 AM »
This is looking so good it makes me want to build one!
Grumman greyhound fuselage with the six blade turbo props and a t tail?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:12:39 AM by kerick »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 04:31:19 PM »
Very nice job on that landing gear Guy   :) :) :)  The top strut should have a hinge in the middle, when doing my Sunderland's gear I had thought it was a hydraulic cylinder but then I had an opportunity to look at a real Catalina/Canso gear while at a museum and saw that it was a rigid strut with a hinge midway, where the strut folded in half as it retracted.  There was a cylinder too, but it attaches to the top wish-bone like this below

Yeah, mine's a long way short of the white-metal stuff but it will, soon, have an imitation joint on the main strut - when I've worked out the best spot for it (probably the middle). :)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »
This is love king so good it makes me want to build one!
Grumman greyhound fuselage with the six blade turbo props and a t tail?
With right pieces combined the right way as on FB-2G;  "it makes me want to build one."  --  too.
Is extra interesting cuz I worked on flight line that included S-2 Trackers. 
Enjoy progress pictures.  Keep posting. :)

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2017, 03:55:15 AM »
Very nice work!
I love the cockpit and the new shape of the fuselage!
Brilliant!

Antonio

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 03:58:55 AM »
Yeah, mine's a long way short of the white-metal stuff but it will, soon, have an imitation joint on the main strut - when I've worked out the best spot for it (probably the middle). :)
This might be a bit late but what about the Grumman Albatross landing gear?  Not quite the same as the Catalina but it did fold up into the sides of the fuselage. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »
Thanks for that, Jeff! :)

I hadn't looked at the Albatross landing gear for some strange reason but, looking at it, I appear to have come up with a bit of a cross between it & the Catalina gear (mostly Cat, thuough). ;)

So, I'm happy with my idea, I just need to execute it correctly, now. :-\

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 12:01:53 PM »
Right! Getting to a point where photo's should follow in a couple of days.

Had to rebuild the landing gear (a measurement error meant they were too short).

Wheel wells are done, floats & struts are done, wings & tail are on, comm's dome fitted to the tail & EPIRB/PLB locator domes fitted to the wings.

Still a tiny bit of PSR & some odds-&-ends to be fitted, then I'll hit it with a coat of grey primer & take some photo's.

Thanks for your patience! :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
Photo's:

There is still some touch-up & fix-up work to be done (primer's good like that ::) ) but, pretty much, ready for the (very basic) paint scheme.

Decals are another issue. Printing my own has become a non-event. I may be able to wing it with what I have, though. We'll see.

She's going to be a "Royal Australian Navy Coast Guard" SAR bird.

Cheers! :icon_beer:

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 04:59:58 PM »
Looks better and better  :)
Alex

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 01:13:25 AM »
That is some amazing work with the landing gear.  Along with the rest of this project it has been quite a metamorphosis from two kits with different scales in to this almost finished project. 

Bravo Zulu! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 02:10:35 AM »
Damn!  That is looking great.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2017, 02:17:01 AM »
Damn!  That is looking great.

Yeah! the transformation is brilliant  :-*

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 02:23:32 AM »

impressive !

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 09:00:40 PM »
Thanks heaps, gents! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2017, 03:10:16 AM »
It's coming together seamlessly!

Fantastic and it was a blast catching up!

Brian da Basher

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2017, 10:35:52 AM »
Will it be yellow like a CL 215 or red and white?

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »
I am loving this

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »
Impressive work, so cute and neat!
 8)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »
Thanks, guys! :icon_alabanza:

kerick: Still working on the colours but ... "Yes!" :-\

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »
Two colours on. Two to go. :)