Author Topic: Falklands anniversary build - Panzer 35  (Read 5737 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Falklands anniversary build - Panzer 35
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
The US Army also gifted captured armour to allied nations in recognition of their efforts during the war in Europe. One such recipient was Argentina, whose Ejército Argentino received five German tanks which went into immediate service. These served Argentina well although only one of the five, a Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf.F (also known as PzKpfw II or Panzer II) numbered 35, survived the decades to remain in service when the nation went to war with Britain in 1982.

The invasion of the Falkland Islands – long claimed by Argentina but held by the UK – took place on 1/2 April 1982 and saw marines, frogmen and amphibious commandos land on East Falkland to take the capital Port Stanley under the codename Operacion Rosario. Panzer 35 was expected to play a key part in the aftermath and accordingly was airlifted to the airport at Port Stanley (now Puerto Argentino) aboard Lockheed C-130 Hercules TC-69, the first Argentine aircraft to land in the renamed Islas Malvinas after the invasion.

The crew of Panzer 35 – driver Voluntario Segundo (Volunteer Second Class) Chico Tonto, loader Cabo Primero (First Corporal) Viejo Carnicero and commander/gunner Capitán (Captain) Gerente de Banco – were tasked with patrolling Puerto Argentino and, in particular, defending Government House. Large stores of ammunition for the tank’s main 2cm gun, the coaxial MG34 and the pintle-mounted 50cal machinegun were transported from the mainland and taken by truck to a depot in the town for their use. They were advised by their commanders that, due to the nature of the ground surface on the islands, they should remain on sealed roads at all times.

However the young Tonto, whose previous military vehicle experience had been limited to driving a Camión de la Basura Mk.IV around the Comando Sanitario y de Salud del Ejército base where he was formerly stationed, turned off Airport Road too early. As a result the 9.5 ton tank only made it a few dozen metres before becoming bogged down in the peaty ground in the early hours. Capitán Banco made some very heated disparaging remarks to the young driver, these being heard by most around the airport due to Banco’s distinct, loud voice.

Determined to make the most out of a bad situation – and recorded as repeatedly telling his young comrade “¡No entre en pánico!” – Carnicero suggested to Banco they could use the accident to their advantage by making the immovable tank into a fixed weapons emplacement. After relaying Carnicero’s proposal to General de Brigada Mario Menéndez, the new Argentine Governor of the islands and commander of the Guarnición Militar Malvinas, Banco ordered his men to dig in. For the next month the watched their comrades fortify the town and airport, commanded to maintain their post and remain vigilant.

On the night of May 1 the crew were launched into the war proper, woken by the Black Buck bombing raid carried out against the airport by an RAF Vulcan bomber. One of the big delta’s 21 bombs landed mere yards away from the tank, causing blast damage to its hull and more than a little temporary deafness to the trio sleeping within. Further damage was done later that morning as Harriers also struck the airport. Panzer 35’s attempts to shoot down the attacking jump-jets only brought attention to them, resulting in rockets being fired at their position. Soon Tonto had been dispatched to dig up even more peat and soil in an effort to disguise and protect the partially-sunken vehicle.

Sporadic attacks by British aircraft continued against AFB Puerto Argentino, the crew of Panzer 35 always making the most of any opportunity to return fire. Eventually their stored ammunition was brought to them, but in a cruel twist of fate the cargo truck, too, became bogged down and was spectacularly destroyed in a British airstrike after only a handful of shells and ammo crates had been transferred to Panzer 35.

A few days later Menéndez surrendered and the Islas Malvinas became the Falkland Islands once more, and Banco and his crew were captured by the British troops. But Banco had a surprise for the British: convinced the British would take the tank as a war prize after their gallant actions in defence of the airport, he had Carnicero booby-trap it with a time-bomb. Triggered a few hours after their capture, it rendered Panzer 35 completely unusable. When told of the booby-trap by a visibly proud Banco the CO of the British unit reportedly said "We thought you were just in a bunker, we've never seen anything about a tank".

The wreckage of Panzer 35 remains in the peaty ground near Port Stanley Airport, a silent testament to its dogged crew. Its actions became the subject of folklore back home and it has been fondly remembered as “El valiente Panzer de la Guerra de las Malvinas” – “The valiant Panzer of the Falklands War”.

Many thanks to pigflyer, who included a Matchbox 1/76 Panzer II kit in a recent goodies box to me and was the basis for this build. The camo grass is Citadel Mordheim Turf.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
Re: Falklands anniversary build - Panzer 35
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
Great stuff  :)

Having done a couple of tours down in the Falkland Islands back in the early 90s, it would have been great to have been able to see the remains of Panzer 35.  8)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:36:39 PM »
Superb, great storey too. Loving the 'real' piccies.   :icon_beer:
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 06:49:53 AM »
Nice one, Zac! The backstory was a ripping good read too!

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
Thanks gents! It was a quick, easy and fun little build.

Having done a couple of tours down in the Falkland Islands back in the early 90s
Okay, I'm gonna need to hear more about that. Mount Pleasant, I'm guessing?
Zac in NZ

Offline Claymore

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 04:10:53 AM »
Okay, I'm gonna need to hear more about that. Mount Pleasant, I'm guessing?

Yup, the Sqn I was on at the time (26 Sqn RAF Regt) did a couple of tours as the Resident Rapier Sqn (RRS) at RAF Mount Pleasant in 1992 and 1993.  There were 8 x Rapier B1(M) Fire Units permanently down there and the Sqns rotated through.  Great fun and very similar in climate and appearance to the Outer Hebrides off the west coast of Scotland.  Happy days...  :))
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:21:49 AM by Claymore »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »
Rather impressive, especially for a tiny little thing like that! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 07:10:10 AM »
It IS tiny!

Claymore - that's amazing!
Zac in NZ

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 03:49:12 AM »
 :o
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 07:35:55 AM »
That's a beautiful little thing and the small size makes your work all the more impressive.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 10:51:01 AM »
Thanks gents!

I'm surprised and a little disappointed no-one's guessed or translated the names of the hapless crew...
Zac in NZ

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 11:39:29 AM »
Thanks gents!

I'm surprised and a little disappointed no-one's guessed or translated the names of the hapless crew...
Well, assuming my rusty Spanish is still reasonably good, the driver's name translates as "Boy Fool" and the loader's name translates as "Old Meat".  Not sure what the commander's name translates as.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »
It's really a joke for British forumites  ;)
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
Zac in NZ

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
Thanks gents!

Well, assuming my rusty Spanish is still reasonably good, the driver's name translates as "Boy Fool" and the loader's name translates as "Old Meat".  Not sure what the commander's name translates as.

Volunteer Second Class Chico Tonto : Dumb Guy (not you, Guy, but Chico)
First Corporal Viejo Carnicero : Old Butcher
Captain Gerente de Banco : Bank Manager

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »
DON'T PANIC!

Private (Alzheimer's moment)

Corporal Jones

Captain Mainwaring
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 03:44:45 PM »
...and, of course, the driver, 'stupid boy', Private Pike.  ;)

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 04:42:25 PM »
 ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
And Corporal "Don't Panic" Jones

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 05:40:37 AM »
 :)

I think a joke loses impact if you need to prompt it!
Zac in NZ

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
Yeah, well, my Spanish ain't that good. :-[

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 12:14:56 AM »
Yeah, well, my Spanish ain't that good. :-[

This may help:

! No longer available