Author Topic: Airfix 1/144 Saturn V - Apollo and Skylab  (Read 2857 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Airfix 1/144 Saturn V - Apollo and Skylab
« on: November 14, 2016, 06:24:18 AM »
Hi all,
I guess this is the best place for this?

I found a new Airfix 1/144 Saturn V Skylab kit for cheap online recently and jumped at it - it also includes the Apollo moon mission module bits, and even at retail is cheaper than the straight Saturn V. Great deal! I also got some resin bits from the UK - a little rough in places but better than the Airfix parts - as well as some masks and some decals, so I can do it right. Unfortunately the Airfix Command Module sucks (undersized and poor detail) so I glued it in place under the Boost Protective Cover and have a much nicer one coming via Shapeways.

The stack as an Apollo mission...

...and as Skylab. The model is designed to come apart so you can see each stage individually. For storage and fun purposes I'll leave it like that. This also means I can change the payload from Skylab to Apollo when I feel like a change.

Here's the completed Lunar Module and Command/Service Module/Launch Escape System assemblies. The markings on the Service Module are one big decal! There is the option of adding them individually but I figured this would work better.

The gold foil is standard kitchen foil crinkled up, cemented with superglue, and painted black and then Tamiya Gold Leaf. I had to add the "porch" on the LM as the kit didn't have it.

And here's Skylab. I was disappointed to learn that the only bits were for the stowed version, but I downloaded a paper model to show what it looked like unfolded (I love the look of Skylab, always have). That's kitchen foil again.

For now I've put it away as I need more masking tape - for PSR - and white paint. I'm having good fun!

The replacement CM is accompanied by a set of very nicely-detailed astronauts, who will go on the base to give some scale. The CM can also sit there, to show how much of this monster actually returned to Earth after its big trip to the moon.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:29:38 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: Airfix 1/144 Saturn V - Apollo and Skylab
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 08:40:37 PM »
Very cool!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 08:51:09 PM »
Nice work, Zac! I especially like your Lunar Module. The foil sure looks like the real thing!

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »
Thanks guys, it's been good fun so far!

Brian - it's a tricky thing. The Revell 1/96 set I got a while back included some gold foil, some folks use chocolate/candy wrappers, but I've found kitchen foil to be great. Dare I try it on the new CM to replicate the shiny finish...?
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
Some 3D-printed parts arrived from Shapeways today for the build! First up is a replacement Command Module:

I hope it shows up in the photos, the detail is superb on this. The surface is still a little rough but I can work with it - even like this it's miles ahead of the kit part. The heatshield is a separate part and man oh man are they thin!

Also in the stupidly-large box was a set of six astronauts in Apollo 11-style suits:

One seems to be Buzz Aldrin saluting Old Glory:

On Sunday I'll try painting Buzz and his mission mates, and try some prep on the CM.
Zac in NZ