Author Topic: Hasegawa SDF-1 Macross 1:4000  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Likes to reinvent the wheel
    • Deviantart page
Hasegawa SDF-1 Macross 1:4000
« on: May 25, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
I never thought I'd post a physical model on these forums.
A few week ago I went on a spending spree on Ebay and bought some toys, but I didn't read the fine print because I'm a dumb dumb. What I thought were display models turned out to be Scale Models with some assembly required.

I haven't tried to glue together a model in 25 years. So I reached out here for some help. I started the process this week.

I have very little idea what I'm doing. The instructions are in Japanese and I couldn't find the correct paint I needed so I had to fudge a few things. I made few mistakes along the way. It's a very slow process but whoever designed this model is a genius. It's so simple and modular in how it's all put together.

Any suggestions on how to clean brushes? So far what I'm doing is limiting my brushes to one color per. Or how about painting over old colors/mistakes, what's the best way?
If it wasn't for the camera option on my phone's translation App, I'd be completely screwed on the instructions. But the funny thing is, 3 very prominent colors of the model, red/white/blue are NOT mentioned at all in the colors list.

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Deviantart page
Re: Hasegawa SDF-1 Macross 1:4000
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »
Any suggestions on how to paint evenly? Or applying the decals. I have no idea how to even start that.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 11:21:39 AM »
Decals work best when applied to a glossy surface. If the paint you have used is flat finish then a coat of gloss finish is necessary. One option is a gloss clear spray from a spray can or brush on Pledge clear floor polish. It’s available in most grocery stores in the floor care aisle. It’s acrylic so it cleans up with water if it hasn’t dried yet. One bottle will last a very long time. Look up the Micro Scale method of applying decals. It involves using two different solutions to help decals stick better and conform to the shape of the surfaces it’s being applied too. Once the decals are on and have dried a few days you can spray over them with either gloss or flat, depending what finish you prefer.

With either spraying or brushing paint it’s better to go with a couple of light coats than one heavy one.

Cleaning brushes depends if you are using enamel or acrylic paints. Enamels have to be cleaned with a petroleum solvent like paint thinner or lacquer thinner. Acrylics are water based so can be cleaned up under running water. Much less smelly.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »
It's a treat to see you building models again!

I concur with the fine advice kerick gave except to note that flat clear coats are also available if you don't want your model all shiny.

Personally, I brush-paint and never mess with those. I'm a devotee of the great Kelly Johnson and just keep it simple which for me also keeps it fun!

Most of these types of kits I've seen reviewed are noted for excellent engineering (Robert, do you have a side-gig?).

Good luck! It looks like you're off to a fine start.
 8)
Brian da Basher

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Deviantart page
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 11:37:13 PM »
rough paint and assembly.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
Nice going so far!  :smiley:

For some tips for beginners, perhaps check out some of Quick Kits' videos on YouTube. LINK!
Some good advice to be found there and not too long-winded either.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Deviantart page
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 10:21:00 AM »
well, I've been able to slowly do some more work on it, mostly slowly painting it. I really am an amateur at this. The plastic model is wonderfully engineered, but the painting skill required to fully realize it is WELL beyond me. I mean some of the parts are so small, how the hell is anyone supposed to a single hair brush to apply paint? And the paint I'm using never spreads evenly. The blue paint come on smooth but the white I'm having to do 3 layers to make the color consistent but it builds up, you can see it in the pictures. Next model I'll try using spray pain instead, it's nearly all grey anyway.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 05:56:05 AM »
It's a treat to see an update on this one!

Looks pretty good to me so far, especially given the paint challenges you mentioned (that I may not have noticed otherwise).

One trick I learned for painting fine is to use a toothpick. You can even sharpen the point to get it finer. This works well for small dots (like on instrument panels) and short lines as well as wee lettering if one is ever that brave.

Good luck on the next stage!

Brian da Basher

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Deviantart page
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 09:55:41 AM »
It's finished. The decals were itty bitty and difficult to work it. Some minor ones broke so I had to remove them. As a final stroke of bad luck, before the final glueing my nozzel was jammed. So I squeezed and squeezed the super glue tube until... my fingernail punctured the side and made a mess of things. This was a good learning experience and hopefully I will pay closer attention to the instructions on the next one.

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Deviantart page
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 09:56:35 AM »
I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out. The subject matter is very near and dear to my childhood.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 06:27:51 PM »
That finished up quite nicely!

I'm no expert on macross by a long shot but it sure looks every bit the business to me.

Well done!
 8)
Brian da Basher

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 06:55:49 AM »
very nice work

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Deviantart page
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 09:14:24 AM »
I'm moving onto the next model. This time I'm spray painting it. Since the models are so similar, I have an idea what every piece is so I don't need to constantly hunt for it in the instructions.

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Deviantart page
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 11:07:58 AM »
Learning to use masking tape. Still came out messy. Paints are still globby no matter how carefully I try to paint with brush or toothpick.

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Deviantart page
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 11:10:48 AM »
And nearly finished it. Still have to do the ARMD carriers that attach to the sides. I made 2 massive mistakes that caused me to break the model and re-glue it because I put some parts in upside down. Another thing is that I lost a single piece before I even started painting. Not vital, just a cap on a shoulder joint.

What I should have done was ignored the paint scheme on the instructions and just did it blue and white like the original.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2019, 02:22:29 PM »
I've eyed this kit off a few times now with designs toward super detailing it but I just can't get past those thruster/feet things. They just look way to clunky for my tastes
Your doing a great job with these and have enjoyed checking in on your progress. Keep the pics coming
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Deviantart page
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 07:30:29 AM »
I've eyed this kit off a few times now with designs toward super detailing it but I just can't get past those thruster/feet things. They just look way to clunky for my tastes
Your doing a great job with these and have enjoyed checking in on your progress. Keep the pics coming

I'd recommend you not get the DYRL version. I broke the conning tower antenae just cutting them from the sprues. Also, this model added a large booster pod under the bridge area. That's why the main thrusters are a angled out a bit to make room for it. It's not enough room. The tolerances are too tight and you'll be rubbing paint/plastic trying to jimmy the leg assembly to the main body.

Also, as it turns out both models are not 100% accurate. If you look closely at the main gun booms there is a semi-circular intend on the bottom. It's missing from the scale model.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 12:15:01 PM »
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on buying one of these but I have a question about the ship itself. Are the "arms" maneuverable to any position you like? I'm thinking of having them facing forward as opposed to backwards. Is this possible?

Offline Wyrmshadow

• Deviantart page
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on buying one of these but I have a question about the ship itself. Are the "arms" maneuverable to any position you like? I'm thinking of having them facing forward as opposed to backwards. Is this possible?

The arms have quite a bit of movement for both models. I guess you could mount the shoulders backwards, there's nothing stopping you.

Personally I would like to get 2 more sets of each, and combine them because the parts are interchangable, then paint it in the original series Blue/White. The DYRL has fewer turrets on it so upgunning would be nice. Also the DYRL conning tower is a 1 piece and is half the size of the original.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:42:15 AM by Wyrmshadow »

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 10:06:55 PM »
I have another question for you, if you would be so kind? Is it possible to have the carrier arms out flat instead of on their sides? If you can, I'm going to buy one