Author Topic: R.A.N Grumman Tracer AEW  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
R.A.N Grumman Tracer AEW
« on: May 14, 2020, 03:48:37 PM »
R.A.N Grumman Tracer AEW

When the Royal Australian Navy took delivery of an older ESSEX class carrier from the US Navy in 1969, they also took on an airgroup of aircraft.  Grumman Trackers, Tracers and Vought Crusaders and Douglas Sky Hawks.  The Trackers were ASW assets, the Tracers AEW aircraft and the Crusaders were fighters and the Sky Hawks strike aircraft.

This model depicts a Grumman Tracer in 1982.  It is flying as a member of 817 squadron, part of the complement of HMAS AUSTRALIA.  In 1981 the decision had been taken to change the radial engines for turbo-prop engines just had occurred for the Trackers.   This enabled commonality to be continued.  The aircraft had a substantially greater range and higher speeds and altitudes.  With revised avionics the range at which it could detect a fighter was also much greater.

The Kit

The kit is a resin one from Brazil.  It was made of the toughest resin I have encountered.  The Turboprops were from Germany.  A great deal of work went into fitting the turboprops while changing it to one with the wings folded was also the result of a great deal of work.   It is not a kit I would recommend.  I was aware that there was also a Mach-2 kit but had built several of those before and didn't think it would be worth the effort.   Appears I bit off more than I could chew!   Painted with a hairy stick and the decals came from the spares box.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: R.A.N Grumman Tracer AEW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 01:34:43 AM »
Great concept ... and love the big 'roo decal on the radome  :smiley: Is this the GIIC resin kit Brian?

I've also seen GIIC called 'Liberty Quality Models' and 'Liberty Kits Brazil'. Compliments on their kit quality are hens' teeth. General outlines seem to be good but component fit appalling. Was that your experience too?

I see that RVHP Models (maybe OOB?) put out a resin conversion set for the Hasegawa Tracker some time back. The size of that radome had me thinking that vacuform would be a way to save weight. Maybe Falcon should redo its Tracer conversion with vac radome and resin struts?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: R.A.N Grumman Tracer AEW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 03:43:08 AM »
What scale?

Good job - I plan on doing virtually the same turboprop Tracker one day
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.