Author Topic: HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
Re: HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2023, 05:02:04 PM »
Great concept, great execution - perhaps a C-130 battleship next?  ;)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2023, 07:08:02 PM »
Thanks, mate! :icon_alabanza:

Um, I don't think so. If I didn't have two new-mould Buccaneers in the stash, this old-mould would not have been quite so ... available.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2023, 11:58:44 PM »
Those last pictures look like it’s exploring an underwater cliff. Just add some bubbles, a blue filter and a giant squid!

Might look good with one of the Bandai mecha dolls Ultraman subs.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2024, 10:08:27 PM »
You all thought this was dead, didn't you!? :icon_sueno:

Mojo went for a bit of a holiday, still struggling with it** but I have managed to finish the scribing & apply paint (that last happened this evening).

I need to pull off some masking to see how it's gone &, if it's OK, I may post a photo or two tomorrow ... Maybe. ;)

[**: The modelling room is a mess, to the point that it's next to impossible to do any work in there, because I got fed up with, & distracted from the clean-up. So, when this build is finished, I will be cleaning the damned room out & tidying it up so I can actually enjoy my modelling!]
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2024, 09:02:21 AM »
By the way, I hope no-one was hoping for Boring-Grey as a colour scheme on this because I'm allergic to Boring-Grey, & this beast is a long way off it! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2024, 11:02:05 AM »
Photo's have been taken! :smiley:

Unfortunately I can't log onto SmugMug at the moment to upload them. :icon_crap:

I'll try later, to see if the issue has been resolved. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2024, 12:24:36 PM »
Told you it ain"t Boring-Grey! ;D

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2024, 12:40:58 PM »
That’s awesome! It makes the build!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2024, 01:09:12 PM »
Thanks, mate! :icon_alabanza:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2024, 02:05:09 PM »
One of those models that deserves a movie to star in  :-*

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2024, 03:05:03 PM »
Thanks, Bill! :icon_alabanza:

Unfortunately, I think the era of the submarine adventure movie/series is gone. :icon_crap:

Movies: 20,000 Leagues under the Sea; Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea; The Atomic Submarine; Around the World under the Sea;

TV Series: SeaQuest DSV; Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea;

OK, maybe there's room for another TV series, but you'll notice that there hasn't been a new one since the mid-1990s, probably because no-one can see any money in it. ;)

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was a favourite of mine when I was young ... very young.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2024, 04:51:43 PM »
Stunning paint job and build, if I hadn't been following the build I would have difficulty in identifying the original kit  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

There was a series called Viligent recently on the BBC series gritty murder investigation  on a submarine

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2024, 05:40:04 PM »
Thanks, 'Mog! :icon_alabanza:

You probably mean "Vigil", but that's a crime drama rather than adventure series. ;)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2024, 11:29:04 PM »
 Now that came out beaUUUUuuutiful!

Nice to know somebody else remembers THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE - I was watching that again just recently.
 (And you can find a lot of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on youtube.  ;) )

Offline Claymore

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2024, 02:48:27 AM »
Mate, it has been well worth the wait! What a stunning paint job and innovative camo- what was your inspiration?  :-*  :smiley:

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2024, 06:11:23 AM »
Thanks, 'Mog! :icon_alabanza:

You probably mean "Vigil", but that's a crime drama rather than adventure series. ;)

Quite right, my bad, guilty as charged  ;D ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2024, 06:37:20 AM »
Told you it ain"t Boring-Grey! ;D

Fantastic scheme!  :-*
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2024, 02:29:38 PM »
Thank you very much, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Unfortunately, Craig, I don't actually remember "The Atomic Submarine", I remembered its name but not the movie.

Claymore: In part it was SeaQuest DSV but, mostly, it was remembering flying over the ocean & noticing that the colour of the sea wasn't monochrome dark blue & that white-caps criss-crossed its surface. and having seen the pale silvery-blue of the surface of the ocean looking up from below, criss-crossed by ripples of light.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 06:47:29 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2024, 02:52:35 PM »
I love the undersea camo! It looks great!

"The Atomic Submarine" movie from 1959 is online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGEgFY4hA4

Not good, not terrible.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2024, 06:48:26 PM »
Thanks, Frank! :smiley:

Think I'll give the movie a miss, though. ;)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2024, 11:37:19 PM »
Thanks, Frank! :smiley:

Think I'll give the movie a miss, though. ;)

Ah, Frank beat me to it. It's also available on the TUBI streaming site. Frank's right, it isn't a great movie, but I give it 'E' for effort, as my Dad used to say. The miniatures and the plot were deserving of a better budget, but the acting and direction were...  :-[

Offline Claymore

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2024, 02:47:58 AM »
Claymore: In part it was SeaQuest DSV but, mostly, it was remembering flying over the ocean & noticing that the colour of the sea wasn't monochrome dark blue & that white-caps criss-crossed its surface. and having seen the pale silvery-blue of the surface of the ocean looking up from below, criss-crossed by ripples of light.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2024, 05:24:45 AM »

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So true!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2024, 04:36:47 PM »
It just works... super good in all respects.

The nod to Seaquest and your quite valid RW observations make it even better.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2024, 04:58:35 PM »
Thanks, BT! :icon_alabanza: