Author Topic: FIAT CR.42 DB (Daimler-Benz Inline)  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
FIAT CR.42 DB (Daimler-Benz Inline)
« on: May 09, 2019, 04:39:21 AM »
The FIAT CR.42 DB was a failed attempt to "revitalize" the obsolete biplane design ala installing an early production Daimler-Benz DB 601A 1,010hp V-12 inline engine, the sole prototype MM.469 built in March 1941 flying for the first time at the hands of FIAT's Valentino Cuz shortly thereafter. During flight testing 326 mph was attained breaking all previous biplane speed records and according to Guinness Worlds Records still stands in May 2019. Impressed with the type's performance the Regia Aeronautica Italia (RAI) ordered 150 "DBs" but soon cancelled it presumably to concentrate on Aeronautica Macchi C.202 & Reggiane Re.2001 monoplane aircraft production.

The 1/72 scale resin Italian Kits Wings IKW7205 + Italeri FIAT CR.42 injected-plastic donor kit conversion build came off remarkably well despite fears of grossly misaligned fuselage joins. The resin casting's starboard side is slightly off center, landing gear a few millimeters higher, wings appearing off center. Nearly all resin kit castings I've worked with had similar misalignment issues this one not amongst the worst fortunately!

Information regarding the FIAT CR.42 DB via the Internet is sparse, two port-side period photographs was all I had available to accomplish the kit build. The MM.469 prototype appears to had been painted the three-color Giallo-3, Verde-3, Marrone-1 over Grigio RAI Mimetico Schema C1B typical of FIAT-built aircraft of the day, used Humbrol, Testors & Model Master enamel paints to replicate it, water decals taken from a number of SKY & Tauro Model Decal Sheets as well. The two Internet photographs of MM.469 do not show a Fuselage Fascio nor the MM.469 serial having been painted on the fuselage so left them off though a House of Savoia crest was applied on the Distintivo di Guerra white rudder cross.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:11:23 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: FIAT CR.42 DB (Daimler-Benz Inline)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 04:47:26 AM »
My what lovely spats you have there!
 :-* :-* :-*
Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 05:52:42 AM »
Beautiful build which I will use as an inspiration and guide when I build mine from the same starting pieces.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 12:20:34 PM »
Very different and very nicely done  8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:47:18 PM »
Very nice! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 02:39:15 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 03:53:02 AM »
My what lovely spats you have there!

Indeed. And a lovely build all around  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 12:15:58 AM »
That is gorgeous!  :-*
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 03:00:27 AM »
I wish someone did a 1/48 version of this.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Maybe...
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 07:40:34 AM »
I wish someone did a 1/48 version of this.
...if Italian Kits Wings (IKW) in particular wants to, do know they're going to rerelease a "corrected" Daimler-Benz powered FIAT G.50V conversion kit next year hopefully, it likely will be the last FIAT-anything airplane model I'll build.

Just started on the IKW/Italeri FIAT CR.42B (Biposto - twin seat) trainer conversion build immediately afterwards comes the Special Hobby G.55B both in post WWII Aeronautica Militare (AM) "silver bird" livery to accompany my Macchi C.205M. I'd roundly debated whether to build Merlin-powered FIAT G.59 variants, they didn't come into production till after Daimler-Benz engine stocks were used up c.1947 so am passing on them the C.205M being my only "Italian Merlin". The only other post-WWII Italian aircraft build in AM livery will be the fictional RS Models Reggiane Re.2007 jet fighter it likely being the last "Italian" I'll build - ever - in 2021.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:21:47 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Maybe...
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 02:51:54 AM »
if Italian Kits Wings (IKW) in particular wants to, do know they're going to rerelease a "corrected" Daimler-Benz powered FIAT G.50V conversion kit next year hopefully, it likely will be the last FIAT-anything airplane model I'll build.

I was hoping IKW would release a 1/48 version given their 1/72 one but nothing has happened.  I even asked them directly about it years ago.  I also have been frustrated in their related Cunarmodel brand teasing for many years re the 1/48 Piaggio P.180 Avanti
 and A129 CBT Mangusta (see bottom of the page here)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Hmm...
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 06:21:22 AM »
I was hoping IKW would release a 1/48 version given their 1/72 one but nothing has happened.  I even asked them directly about it years ago.  I also have been frustrated in their related Cunarmodel brand teasing for many years re the 1/48 Piaggio P.180 Avanti and A129 CBT Mangusta...

IKW did tell me they're going to rerelease a "corrected" 1/72 FIAT G.50V kit; need their Savoia-Marchetti S.75, will watch for it also. I'd requested them to produce a 1/72nd Macchi C.206, no reply - yet - I'd also asked SEM Model, they're not interested though they'd marketed the C.204, C.205N-1 & N-2 - sad!

Fifty-plus years ago I'd never thought as many "Italians" would come on market as have been over the last 25-odd years, all I wanted then, i.e. in 1968, was the Reggiane 2000, asked Revell U.S.A. then in Venice, California to produce it along with number of other subjects including the Heinkel 177, wrote it on Dad's 1947 Royal typewriter, twin sister's hubby owns it now. Italaerei would market the 2000 c.1970-71 after I'd quit building, Revell's excellent 177 kit decades later though Airfix's stalwart offering was already out by then, sadly I didn't build it at the time, did so in 1982 et.al. years.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:24:35 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »