Author Topic: X-20 Dyna-Soar launcher, MPC re-pop Titan III  (Read 6310 times)

Offline stevegallacci

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
X-20 Dyna-Soar launcher, MPC re-pop Titan III
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »
MPC has re-released their old (1970s) Titan III and Vostok kits, originally as either flying rockets or static display models. They were kind of basic, but not bad actually, the Vostok was in 1/100 scale, a nice middle size build, and could be a Sputnik 1 or Vostok 1 launcher. The Titan III, though claiming to be 1/100 scale, was actually closer to 1/120, with the complication that the Titan core was a bit over-size in diameter where it should be actually just the tiniest fraction smaller in diameter than the solid strap-ons.
The re-releases don't have the flying option, but are other wise pretty much the same as the original.
Since I can't resist the chance to do something other than out of the box, I'm building the Vostok as a Soyuz launcher, and more relevant to this site, the Titan III in its original intended role as the launcher for the X-20 Dyna-Soar. So all I have to do is scratch build the X-20 and adapter. So here is where things pretty much stand. The X-20 is built-up out of bass wood, the elements soaked in thin CA glue to have a hard, easier to finish surface, as is the adapter. I'll be casting the new parts, and can do copies if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:21:20 PM by stevegallacci »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: X-20 Dyna-Soar launcher, MPC re-pop Titan III
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »
Looks really good Steve, hope to have the chance to see it when you bring it by Emil's to show it off. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 02:35:32 AM »
Yeah, I'll be bringing it by as it progresses. You can email or call (206-280-6740) for a rendezvous.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:03:34 AM »
You're off to a wizard start, Steve! This one's going to be fun to watch!

Amazing work on the X-20 & connector, too!

Brian da Basher

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
Brilliant start, I look forward to some more of this build!! 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Scooterman

• Professional A-4 Stalker...and stealer of Rule 3.
  • Even his underwear is embroided with Skyhawks...
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 05:41:21 AM »
Steve, the X-20/Titan is one of those projects that I would love to do.  PM inbound!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 01:23:31 PM »
That looks absolutely gorgeous so far.  I'm having to resist the temptation to buy two and do one this way and the other as a MOL launch.

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 12:49:28 AM »
Doing the MOL was going to be my next build, but that has been tempered by the kit's inaccuracies, mainly the over-diameter Titan core, which throws off the look of things. On the other hand. if the kit were re-considered as a 1/110 scale model,  stretching the core length to compensate, and making replacement strap-ons (without the over-done field joints) that would be useful. And if I did a 1/110 scale X-20, everything would match up nicely. I'll likely do a 1/100 Titan family eventually to go with the Vostok, as well as accurized parts for the Vostok. But for now, as fun builds, the OOB build is just fine.

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »
Up date. I've stared casting resin copies of the X-20 in 1/120 scale and adapter for the stock MPC kit Titan core. The kit Titan is 1/10 inch/2.5mm over diameter for those who care.

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »
An additional thing I've started is making patterns for an improved 1/200 Titan family to go with with the old 1/200 man in space kit set. The smaller subjects, Titan, Atlas, and Jupiter are kind of small, as will the Vostok/Soyuz that I'll also pattern, but I'm going with the scale so that that the N1 and Nova variants won't be too unwieldy big.

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »
X-20 done. This is a resin copy of the machine and the adapter I've cast up for the Titan III. I've dona a batch of them and have them available for $25 including CONUS mail.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »
Looking good Steve.  Will you be bringing that to the show on Saturday? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
Since I'll be driving "Miss Daisy", Wayne Fiomigo, I can't really commit to doing much at the show, as he is old and frail and may need to go back home early. I've volinteered to do judging, but even that is a risk. Trying to bring models to display, not knowing if I'd need to immediatly turn around and leave, just isn't worth it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 02:06:11 AM »
No problem Steve, always good to see you with or without models in hand :) 

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 04:14:39 AM »
Here's a snap of the complete stack.
The Titan is purely out of the box, no modifications of the sometimes chunky kit parts. Most of the roll stripes and panels are decal material instead of trying to mask and paint.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:17:38 AM by stevegallacci »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 04:54:22 AM »
I like the look of 'er!

Nice work, Steve!

Brian da Basher