Author Topic: Westernising a SCUD TEL  (Read 5026 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Westernising a SCUD TEL
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:51:32 AM »
Ok folks,

Suggestions required!  How do I Westernise (or better yet, Americanise) a SCUD TEL?

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
Re: Westernising a SCUD TEL
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:15:31 AM »
Hey Greg,

How about...

The front end from a US Army HEMT truck?

Computer controlled drone version?

Drone/ZELL launcher?

An armoured box launcher for a theater ballistic missile?

A larger bore MLRS system?

Ground based antimissile laser system

A railgun artillery system?

Tracked drive system?

'Terracruzer drive sytem'?

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:37:08 AM »
Tractor from the Atomic Cannon kit or the Terracruzer/Mace kit. I'd go for the latter
Replace the full width cab with a narrowed assymetrical arrangement, like some mobile
cranes. I've also seen them on cement and rubbish trucks.

Use the rest of the body panel and suspension bits attached to a new build frame,
or steal one from a semi kit, to fit out the rest of the vehicle.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 04:10:29 AM »
The easiest thing, I think, is going to be the camo.  Go with an overall tan or the NATO 3 color.

After that, you can do some structural changes that would do the trick.  First of all, I'd replace the missile nose cone with something more like a Pluton or ATACMS.  Next, I'd do something with the fins.  At least cut them down to be small like a Pershing II.  Alternatively, make the flip out or just eliminate them altogether.

Next (and a relatively simple change), I'd look at armored shutters on the windows, like the MLRS or HIMARS.  That shouldn't be too hard and should really change the appearance.  You may also want to make the right windshield vertical or sloped slightly back just to change the profile.  The forward-angled windshield isn't too common in the West (not as common as Soviet bloc large trucks).

Other ideas that would make it seem less Soviet, but are more difficult:

New tires.  Some wheels more like a Oshkosh product.  Western tires have totally different treads, usually blockier.  The tires themselves also have more vertical walls, typically.

Finally, the most extensive change you can do to "Westernize" the Scud is to hid the missile.  A lot of Western designs put the missile in a box, like the Pluton, ATMOS, Patriot, or MLRS.  Soviets generally exposed it or put it in a tube or leave it exposed (the look cooler in May Day parades).

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 05:42:12 AM »
I'd update the cab by making the right hand side a multi-crew control cab without windows. In back, I would mount a couple of armoured box launchers for ground launch cruise missiles.

Of course... to go really out there..

Replace the missile with a rocket -boosted, multi-stage deep earth penetrator. Something like a GBU-28, something for the Army when the USAF types won't deal with a deep bunker. :)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 06:04:34 AM »
...ummm...paint the little red stars white?

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 07:34:46 AM »
replace missile with MGM-140 ATACMS (or build a long rectangular box that would fit around an ATACMS  ;) or a pair of them...) . When the FWP nations joined NATO, their artillery remained almost unchanged except the guns were reworked for NATO calibres. So, drawing a comparison to the scud, I would say keep the launcher etc and westernize the rocket.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
I think the most obvious way would be to convert it to a semi-trailer configuration.  Western armies tend to shy away from overly long, single vehicle TELs.  They are less manoeuvrable and if a breakdown occurs, the entire launcher is immobilised whereas if it's a semi-trailer configuration you just back a new tractor into place and you're good to go.  The major advantage of big, multiwheel TEL's that the Russian's favour is cross-country ability on poor roads (like those of Eastern Europe/Russia) whereas most Western nations have excellent paved roads so the semi-trailer configuration works for them.

I'd recommend as others have, using a HEMTT configuration (if American) or a MAN/Faun Elephant type configuration (if you're Western European).

Putting the missile in a box would definitely make it look less Russian.  Adding some datalink aerials would also make it look less Russian.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 10:20:10 AM »
How about replacing the Scud with a "four pack" launcher of GLCM's (ground-launched Tomahawks)?  The launch pod has a unique trapezoidal cross-section that would fit nicely  in changing the look of this.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:31:27 AM by elmayerle »

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 10:24:36 AM »
Take a look at the ground launched Tomahawk (US Navy cruise missile) system for some ideas.  Think they were 4 pack launchers like the early USN ABLs.
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »
Planning something in 1/48 folks...

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
Ah, 1/48. Get the Arii kit and slap one of these on the back:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/accessories/brengunbrs48003reviewpp_1.htm

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »
I don't know what scale the kit is, but if you can fit the canted 4-pack launch pod for the GLCM, that would be a nice touch.  Or, you could stretch the TEL and use it as a Pershing III TEL - Pershing III was a Pershing II with a zeroth stage added on the bottom to raise it to small ICBM status.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 03:06:41 AM »
Ah, 1/48. Get the Arii kit and slap one of these on the back:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/accessories/brengunbrs48003reviewpp_1.htm

Have two of those already…they will end up on pylons under the wing of something...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 04:17:35 AM »
Replace the original SCUD missile with a large cannister of similar dimensions to the original missile and call it an upgrade to a new weapon system that was designed to replace the SCUD missile.  As for physical details, well, leave that to their collective imaginations.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:35:55 AM »
Replace the original SCUD missile with a large cannister of similar dimensions to the original missile and call it an upgrade to a new weapon system that was designed to replace the SCUD missile.  As for physical details, well, leave that to their collective imaginations.  :smiley:

So, almost like the RSD-10 Pioneer/SS-20 Saber?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Today at 03:20:44 AM »
So, almost like the RSD-10 Pioneer/SS-20 Saber?
Pretty much but with eight wheels and a substantially shorter missile container. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:29:12 AM »
One could potentially create something from this kit:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Today at 03:41:45 AM »
Scale-O-Rama.  Mate the 1/35th scale SCUD TEL with the 1/72nd scale SS-20 Sabre missile container and it might be an easy what-if.