Author Topic: Mk VIE General Wolfe  (Read 5324 times)

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
Mk VIE General Wolfe
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:34:42 AM »
From an idea by Sharlin... The model itself is from a later stage in Sharlin's TL that has not yet been written and indeed may never feature at all as this was more my development from Sharlin's original idea for a medium tank looking somewhat like the OTL Valentine (Mk VI Picton).

In Sharlin's TL the Mk VI Picton is the standard British medium tank of the early to mid period of a war -more or less in a parallel timescale to WW2 - where Britain and Germany are allied against a French/Russian coalition. The Picton looks, superficially, like the OTL Valentine but has a larger 3-man turret mounting a 57mm 6pdr gun and a more powerful engine to give it better performance and speed.

My development was to fast forward Sharlin's war a couple of years to the point where the Picton was becoming obsolete and was presumably replaced by a more capable beast. Given the alliance with Germany and the Germans penchant for converting obsolete panzers into StuGs, I proposed that Britain might take a leaf out of their book and do something similar with the Picton. Having had little experience in the StuG-field the British decide to copy and licence build the highly successful StuG III conversion kit. The result is the Mk VIE General Wolfe. In British service, the General Wolfe (or Wolfe for short) is a highly capable and successful tank destroyer and is allocated to the Anti-Tank Regiments of the Royal Artillery. Whilst somewhat cramped inside, it is nonetheless extremely popular with crews and infantry alike.

The model depicts 'Briton' a vehicle of A Troop, 288 Battery, 102nd Anti-Tank Regiment (Armoured)(Northumberland Hussars) of 2nd Armoured Division and comprises of parts from a most excellent MiniArt Valentine Mk III, an old Tamiya Stug III, some plastic/styrene card and a few bits and pieces from the spares box. Great fun and I think she looks really cool... so there!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:34:31 AM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: Mk VIE General Wolfe
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:25:50 AM »
Nice  :) This came out really, really well  :-*
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:28:30 AM by taiidantomcat »
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Claymore

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:50:52 AM »
Thank you indeed good sir.  :))

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:54:51 AM »
Wonderfully executed sir!!!  Just needs an MG on the roof  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Claymore

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 04:50:20 AM »
Wonderfully executed sir!!!  Just needs an MG on the roof  8)

Thank you indeed.  :)  I decided in the end to go with a slightly earlier copy of the StuG III and hence the squared off mantlet as opposed to the 'pigs head' type - it somehow looks more British.  I also wanted to keep the lines more in keeping with other British AFVs of the time which, generally, did not sport permanently mounted external MGs.  The loader will have a Bren which he can fire from the roof as and when he has to.  It is currently tucked away inside so is not shown...  anyhoo that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:18:55 AM by Claymore »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:36:07 AM »
.. slow to pay attention here..  :o
Both are really nice.. the build on the Wolfe, again, to your usual standards
I must say though, prefer the Picton over the Wolfe actually

As an aside , the naming of British vehicles after British Generals is a good meme... imagine what a Crauford Light Tank or an Uxbridge Heavy Armoured car may look like.
A whole gammut of goodness right there

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »
Much coolness   :-* :icon_beer: :icon_beer:

The changes to the rear deck are very smartly done.
I'd like to see the Picton in plastic later some time too ..........

cheers
Brent

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
Very nice! :D

Love the Picton (I'll 2nd the desire to see it in plastic) but the Wolfe is pretty neat, too! 8)

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »

As an aside , the naming of British vehicles after British Generals is a good meme... imagine what a Crauford Light Tank or an Uxbridge Heavy Armoured car may look like.
A whole gammut of goodness right there

A Montgomery MBT perhaps?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 05:14:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, all much appreciated.

I was having a bit of a StuG appreciation moment and had all of the bits at hand too so the Wolfe muscled its way on to the build list.  I really like the Valentine as a base chassis and the MiniArt kit was a charm to work with so I suspect that the Picton will not be that far behind when I can get round to buying another kit.  However, everything is kind of hanging on notification from work which may have me off to a foreign field for an extended period of time in the not too distant future.  :-X
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:14:41 AM by Claymore »