Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905667 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #1200 on: September 19, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »
M.A.D.: Thanks for that.

My laptop is in the shop right now, so I must wait to see what data is recoverable. If the original B-58A sideview is still there, I'll have a go at an RAAF Hustler.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #1201 on: September 19, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »
M.A.D.: Thanks for that.

My laptop is in the shop right now, so I must wait to see what data is recoverable. If the original B-58A sideview is still there, I'll have a go at an RAAF Hustler.

Thank's for your consideration apophenia!
After - what 81 pages of profiling, is it any wonder your poor laptop is in the workshop!
My thoughts go out to your laptop  ;)

M.A.D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1202 on: November 18, 2015, 03:49:05 AM »
Playing with Nakajima Ki-43/Ki-44 blends by the Tachikawa Hikoki K.K. ...

(Top) Tachikawa Ki-43 Ame-koh (American): a 'dissimilar air combat training' derivative adapted to a US Allison V-1710 engine (captured at Clark Field). To maintain the centre of gravity, the cockpit was moved aft (and fitted with a Ki-44 Shoki canopy). The IJAAF decided that Ki-61s Heins would be adequate for DAST needs and the contract was cancelled.

(Bottom) Tachikawa Ki-72 Arashi (Storm): Having employed the abandoned Ki-43 Ame-koh airframe for armament-fitting trials, designer Shinjiro Shinagawa hit on the notion of installing a heavier radial engine. The new Mitsubishi Ha.112-62 'Kinsei' 14-cylinder radial was chosen for this purpose. The result was the Ki-72 Arashi. [1]

In its 'productionized' form, the Ki-72 featured the 1,500 hp Kinsei engine, stronger Ki-44 main undercarriage, and and enlarged fin and rudder. Actual production of the Ki-72-I was transferred to the Manshūkoku Hikōki K.K. at Harbin to allow Tachikawa to focus on Ki-63 airframe development.

[1]  The Ki-72 designation had been previously applied to what would become the Tachikawa Ki-55 II 'Ida' advanced trainer.

Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1203 on: November 18, 2015, 03:54:58 AM »
interesting
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1204 on: December 24, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »
'Kamibako' - Tachikawa wooden versions of Nakajima's Ki-62 & Ki-63 [1]

Having passed on its improved Hayabusa - the Ki-72 Arashi - to Nakajima subsidiary Manshukoku, Tachikawa Hikoki K.K. was free to take on fresh work. Tachikawa was commissioned by the IJAAF to help develop Nakajima's next fighter project, the Ki-62. Tachikawa's part would be to provide an alternative Ki-62 structure composed largely of 'non-strategic' materials.

The resulting design was designated Ki-62mo (for 'mokusei' or 'wooden'). Test articles constructed by Ohji Koku K.K. of Ebetsu on Hokkaido, showed that a plywood-covered, spruce-framed Ki-62mo would add 270 kg to structural weight. This prompted a revised design which combined Nakajima's wing shape to a new welded steel-tube fuselage clad with wood. The latter would take the form of two pre-formed veneer panels sandwiching narrow-diameter bamboo canes.

Once it was apparent that Kawasaki could not (or would not) provide the 1,175 hp Ha.40 V-12 engines, Nakajima abandoned the Ki-62 in favour of the radial-engined Ki-63 project. Tachikawa followed Nakajima's lead but was further along in its wooden structural study than Nakajima in productionizing its fighter.

With the radial-engined Ki-63, the Tachikawa and Nakajima designs began to diverge. For its Ki-63mo-I, Tachikawa intended to install the 1,300 hp Mitsubishi Kinsei (Ha.112-54) 14-cylinder engine driving a 3-bladed propeller. Two 12.7 mm Ho-103 machine guns would be synchronized to fire through that prop disc with another Ho-103 installed in each wing.

[1] Kamibako means 'cardboard box' or 'paper carton'.

More to come ...

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #1205 on: December 24, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
Cool stuff! Glad to see you're profiling again.  :)

That Ki-62 has a distinct Heinkel look going on around the cockpit and front end.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1206 on: December 25, 2015, 02:41:06 AM »
Interesting

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1207 on: December 25, 2015, 05:30:41 AM »
Thanks folks.

That Ki-62 has a distinct Heinkel look going on around the cockpit and front end.

Cheers 'north. I pinched the nose from an obliging Ki-61 Hein with a nod to the Aichi Seiran for the radiator. I'm not sure how accurate online images are of the Nakajima Ki-62 ... but 'wood panelling' aside, I haven't strayed too far from them.

I've never seen the Ki-63 project depicted. For my Ki-63mo-I, the cowling and prop came unchanged from the Aichi E16A Zuiun floatplane.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1208 on: January 02, 2016, 09:38:58 AM »

The Ki-63ru - Saru mo ki kara ochiru (Even monkeys fall from trees) [1]

When the Ki-63mo-I concept was presented to the IJAAF, a spanner was thrown into the works. In addition to 'non-strategic' material construction, Army planners now also wanted to take advantage of Tachikawa's experience with high-altitude designs. The wooden Ki-63 now had to have an exhaust-driven turbo-supercharger.

The revised Ki-63ru design featured a  turbo-supercharger mounted in the starboard fuselage ducting compressed intake air along the fuselage portside to the intake manifold. To balance this bulk to aft, the Mitsubishi Ha.112-58 engine with an extended prop shaft and multi-blade cooling fan was introduced forward. This engine cooling fan allowed for tighter cowlings, in turn, improving aerodynamics.

The Turbo-supercharged Ki-63ru-II - Tachikawa's Tatsumaki (Tornado)

The IJAAF examined the Ki-63ru concept but rejected it poorly balanced and likely to lack performance at altitude. Revision of the design was done incrementally and in consultation with Army planners. In the first phase of what became known as the Ki-63ru-II Tatsumaki, a belly-mounted intercooler was added to the system to boost at-altitude performance. In the second phase, an entirely new wing was incorporated. This was a laminar-flow wing (the 'TH airfoil', devised by Tatsuo Hasegawa for the larger Ki-94 interceptor project) which served to shift the c/g.

For the final phase, a taller tailfin was also planned and cockpit pressurization was discussed. Despite this design resulting from IJAAF insistance, it was now apparent to Army staff that Tachikawa should concentrate its high altitude efforts on Tatsuo Hasegawa's Ki.94-II design with its larger turbo-supercharger. That was the end of the Tatsumaki.

Development work on the Ki-63 concept would continue but now as a low- and medium-altitude fighter intended to replace the Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa and, eventually, Tachikawa's own Ki-72 Arashi.

[1] The sense of Saru mo ki kara ochiru is that even experts make mistakes.

More to come ...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1209 on: January 03, 2016, 03:20:18 AM »
Nice work

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1210 on: January 04, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
Cheers Greg!

'Kamibako' - The Tachikawa Ki-63mo-III Ookaze (Strong Wind)

With the cancellation of the turbo-supercharged Ki-63ru-II project, Jiro Tanaka handed further Ki-63 development over to a team led by Shinjiro Shinagawa. Much of the work on the Ki-63mo-I was revived but Shinagawa retained the Ki-63ru-II's 'TH airfoil' laminar-flow wing and the engine cooling fan. Both features were seen as useful in balancing the weight of a wooden rear fuselage and newly-specified cockpit armour.

The section of the 'TH airfoil' also lent itself to installing wing-mounted armament. Provisionally, standard armament was planned at two cowl-mounted 12.7mm Ho-103 machine guns with a further four wing-mounted 12.7mm guns. An alternative interceptor armament was proposed with two cowl-mounted 12.7mm Ho-103s and a 20mm Ho-5 cannon in each wing.

Wind tunnel testing of models suggested that this new Ki-63mo-III would benefit from more tail area. A new fin and rudder were designed (based roughly on that of the Ki-63ru-II) and the opportunity was taken to move the tailplane forward on a shortened rear fuselage. Details had also been made available of Nakajima's progress on their version of the fighter - now redesignated as the Ki-84.

The Ki-84 was to be powered by Nakajima's 18 cylinder Homare engine. This new engine would not be available in time for the Ki-63mo-III but Tachikawa adapted Nakajima's ejector exhaust stub to their fighter's 14-cylinder Kinsei engine. The tailwheel design was also changed - from a Ki-44 unit to a forward-retracting type which, if hydraulics were damaged, would fall into place under its own weight. All of these features were adopted for the Ki-63mo-III prototype.

More to come ...

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #1211 on: January 08, 2016, 02:20:52 PM »
Belated congratulations for this Ki-62/63 interesting family! :-*

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1212 on: January 12, 2016, 09:58:38 AM »
Cheers Tophe.

(Top) Early production Ki-63mo-IIIa on tropical field trials at Krakor Airfield near Phnom Penh. Flown by WO (Rikugun-Jun-i) Kosuke Tsubone, this pre-production Ookaze is in standard green upper and blue-grey lower camouflage ... but has lost its tailwheel doors.

The Ki-63mo-IIIa was armed with two cowl- and two wing-mounted 12.7mm Ho-103 machine guns.

(Bottom) Ki-63mo-III-Kou flown by Captain (Rikugun-Tai-i) Taii Hideaki Inayama in the air defence of Tokyo. The Ki-63mo-III-Kou introduced a pair of 20mm Ho-5 cannons in the wing positions.

More to come ...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #1213 on: January 14, 2016, 07:37:13 AM »
Wow! :icon_surprised:

Good stuff, dude! :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1214 on: January 16, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »
Cheers Vombatus antiquis ... and a few more Ookaze.

(Bottom) Ki-63mo-IIIb were normally armed with six 12.7mm Ho-103 machine guns (2 x synchronized, 4 x wing-mounted) but this aircraft had only one gun in each wing. In place of the extra wing guns, four under-wing rocket launch rails were mounted. Each Tachikawa Heiki (Tachikawa Weapon) rails carried a Type Ro-3 (Ro-San Dan) anti-aircraft rocket.

This Ki-63mo-IIIb was flown by 3rd Chutai, 52nd Sentai from Clark Field on Luzon. Intended for Ro-3 service trials, most of these fighters flew with the rocket rails removed to achieve higher speeds and better manoeuvrability.

(Top) Ki-63mo-IIIc, the first variant with all-cannon armament (2 x synchronized 20mm Ho-5 and another 2 x Ho-5 guns in the wings). This variant also introduced a weight-reducing finish of bleached woodwork and pearl-grey over metal parts. This Ki-63mo-IIIc belonged to the 3rd Chutai, 70th Sentai based at Kashiwa near Tokyo in April 1945.

The unknown pilot has claimed one B-29 destroyed. But, on 06 Aug 1945, this Ki-63mo-IIIc was destroyed on the ground by strafing P-51Ds of the Iwo Jima-based 21st Fighter Group.

More to come ...

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1215 on: January 16, 2016, 12:32:47 PM »
Thanks for this addition.
But... do you know the even more incredible Ki-62.5? A twin-fuselage plane like the P-82 Mustang, with a Ki-62 in line engine on the port side (front on the profile, maybe without pilot/canopy) and a Ki-63 radial on the starboard side (behind on the profile)... Please show us how it was, or... I may be forced to show it myself... ??? ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1216 on: January 17, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »
Thanks Tophe.

I don't know the Ki-62.5 but it must have been a close relative of the twin-fuselaged  Ki-62.75  ;)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1217 on: January 17, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »
Uh? With no (external) tailplane, your Ki-62.75 seems obviously a twin-fuselage fighter  :-* :-* , thanks, but this is not obvious to see on the profile. That is why the half-radial single seat (on the fuselage behind) was my fitst thought, but you are the designer, engineer Apophenikawa!
Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:42:07 AM by Tophe »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1218 on: January 19, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »
Dying Days ... the Last of the Tachikawa Ki-63mo Ookaze fighters

The final production variant of the Ookaze was the Ki-63mo-IV. This series standardized all of the improvements of earlier models while introducing a 'universal' wing able to mount a wider range of armaments. An identification feature was the enlarged oil cooler bath and, on later
'IVs, a starter dog on the spinner tip.

The Ki-63mo-IV raised armament to 6 x 20mm Ho-5 guns but few of this initial production model were built due to Ho-5 shortages. Most were completed as Ki-63mo-IV-Kai with underwing gun pods. Almost all Ki-63mo-IV-Kai carried Ho-203 37mm cannons in their underwing pods (with upper surface 'blisters' covering the drum magazines). A handful of Ki-63mo-IV-Kais were trialled with 30mm Ho-155-II guns.

(Bottom) Tachikawa Ki-63mo-IV-Kai, 2nd Chutai, 102nd Sentai, Miyakonojo Airfield, southeastern Kyushu, April 1945. Armed with 2 x Ho-155-II 30mm underwing cannons, this aircraft also features some cockpit area replacement parts. This fighter was flown on several operational missions before being lost to a B-29 tail gunner on 13 June 1945.

The Ki-63mo-IVa model was fitted with plumbed underwing racks as standard. From the factory, the Ki-63mo-IVa was armed with 4 x 20mm Ho-5 guns. However, many frontline units removed the two wing cannons to improve performance when carrying underwing stores. Although intended for use as fighter-bombers, most Ki-63mo-IVa went to the Shimbu-tai (Special Attack Units) to be expended in suicide attacks.

(Top) Ki-63mo-IVa of the 57th Shimbu-tai (Special Attack Unit) based at Chiran, southern Kyushu. Carrying one underwing fuel tank and one 250 kg Type 92 HE bomb, this fighter was destroyed on the ground by B-25s attacking from Okinawa.

The Ki-63mo-IVb was to standardized on 30mm Ho-155-II wing guns, the Ki-63mo-IVc with podded 37mm Ho-204s. Neither of these Ookaze sub-types reached production.

More to come ...

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #1219 on: January 19, 2016, 04:42:19 PM »
Great job. :)
Much as I like appearance of camo, wonder if that scheme ever did effective camouflaging. ???

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1220 on: January 22, 2016, 09:27:53 AM »
finsrin: I suppose the blotches broke up the outline. But, applied over silver or natural metal ?  ???

Setting Sun ... the End of the Tachikawa Ki-63mo Ookaze fighters

One final Ookaze variant was complete ... but by Nakajima rather than Tachikawa. This was the sole Ki-63mo-Vb. The Tachikawa Ki-63mo-V series were powered by Nakajima's 18-cylinder Ha-45 Homare radial. A complex engine, the Ha-45 was also surprisingly light and compact for its output of 1,900 hp. This dictated slightly longer engine-bearers than those employed on Nakajima's metal Ki-84 Hayate fighters.

Priority was given to the cannon-armed Ki-63mo-Vb. The wings of this variant were modified to accomodate the new 37mm Ho-203 37mm cannon within the wing structure (rather than in underwing pods). The prototype Ki-63mo-Vb was completed in early June 1945 and transferred to Nakajima to have its engine and its Ki-84 cowling fitted on 09 June 1945.

On the following night, B-29s of XXI Bomber Command dropped vast numbers of HE and incidiary bombs on the Tachikawa factory (target code-name 'Modeller'). The raid was devastatingly effective. The plant buildings were largely destroyed and wooden structures stockpiled for Ki-63mo construction were perfect tinder for the incidiaries. Tachikawa Hikoki K.K. had effectively ceased to exist. [1]

At war's end, the completed Ki-63mo-Vb was found at the Tokyo plant of the Nakajima Hikoki KK. Collected on behalf of the USAAF Technical Data Laboratory (TDL), the 'Homare Ookaze' was prepared for flight testing. However, on its first flight, the engine seriously overheated and the USAAF pilot made an emergency landing. On touch-down, the starboard main undercarriage leg collapsed and a wing was heavily damaged. The Ho-204 guns were removed and the airframe scrapped.

[Top] Tachikawa Ki-63mo-Vb prototype repainted in USAAF TDL markings. Tokyo, September 1945.

The Ookaze was more thoroughly tested by US forces. Using the remains of five different Ki-63mo-IIIb airframes collected at Clark Field in the Phillipines, theTechnical Air Intelligence Unit–South West Pacific Area (TAIU-SWPA) was able to create a single, flyable Ki-63mo-III. With the war over, this fighter was sent first to Yokohama Naval Base and thence to the USAAF Air Depot at Freeman Field, IN.

[Bottom] Tachikawa Ki-63mo-IIIb in TAIU-SWPA markings, Clark Field, Luzon, August 1945.

[1] Also destroyed were the facilities of Showa hikoki kogyo KK. Showa had been working on the L2D5, a wooden DC-3 derivative. Tachikawa assisted Showa with the installation of the 1560 hp Mitsubishi HA-33 Kinsei radials in their wooden Tabby.

... Fin

Offline apophenia

Dornier Do 355
« Reply #1221 on: January 28, 2016, 10:19:19 AM »

In October 1944, Dornier lost control of their P 254 mixed-power Do 335 development. The following month, Dornier proposed a scaled-down version, the P 275. This aircraft would retain the P 254's DB 603 in the nose but the tail Heinkel He S 011 turbojet was to be replaced by a Walter HWK 109-509 liquid-fuel rocket.

The RLM accepted the P 275 interceptor for development as the Dornier Do 355. Ordered to use as many parts from existing aircraft as possible, Dornier incorporated many Do 335 compenents as well as the canopy from Heinkel's pending Volksjäger and the tailwheel undercarriage of the Focke-Wulf Ta 152 series. The prototype Do 335 V1 was completed in late February 1945.

The Do 335 V1 made two successful flights using only its piston engine. The third flight was to begin with a 'scharfen start' to accelerate take-off. Instead, as soon as it was lit, the Walter HWK 109-509A motor exploded ... killing test pilot Robert Moßbacher and completely destroying the aircraft.

Dornier had intended to produce the P 275/I as the Do 355A Pfeilspitze (Arrowhead) interceptor powered by a DB 603LA and a Walter HWK 109-509A. The P 275/II with Jumo 213E-1 and Walter HWK 109-509C would become the Do 355B. Production of both interceptor variants was cancelled after the tragic loss of the Do 355 V1.

Rather than waste the energy already expended on the Do 355, the RLM asked Dornier to complete the second prototype as a schlachtflugzeug or ground-attack aircraft. This was done with the Walter rocket engine being displaced by FDSL 131 barbettes (from the Me 410) manned by a second crewman. The nose-mounted armament consisted of three 20mm MG151/20 cannons (with an optional 30mm MK 103 in a Motorkanone installation).

Dornier had wanted to resurrect their 'umbrella' airbrake for divebombing attacks but the RLM insisted upon a 'wobble-mounted' MG151 for additional tail protection. A Rückwärtswarngerät (tail warning radar) was planned although this was never installed. Offensive armament was to consist of three 250 kg bombs or a single, centeline bomb with two 300 litre drop tanks on underwing racks.

Dornier intended to produce the new schlachtflugzeug as the Do 355C Säbel (Sabre). The prototype Do 335 V2 was flown by test pilot, Hans Werner Lerche, on 9 April 1945. The aircraft performed well but, during the test flight, Dornier's airfield at Oberpfaffenhofen was attacked by B-17s of the 398th Bomb Group and heavily damaged. The Säbel prototype was due to be ferried to the Rechlin Erprobungstelle for official evaluation but, perhaps due to fuel shortages, this never happened.

In any case, it was clear that the German collapse was near and that the Do 355C would never enter production. The US Army overran the Oberpfaffenhofen factory in late April 1945 and found the sabotaged Do 335 V2 among the ruins.

NB: These profiles began life as an unsuspecting Do 335 V14 by the inimitable Simon Schatz.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1222 on: January 29, 2016, 02:37:22 AM »
 :)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1223 on: January 30, 2016, 01:55:34 AM »
Very surprising, and nicely enriching the Do-335 family...

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1224 on: February 02, 2016, 10:34:39 AM »

British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) Basalisk Tactical Strike/Reconnaissance Aircraft

In 1955, Vickers submitted its distinctive Type 559 for the OR F.155. In its original Type 559A form, this fighter featured twin 'stacked' De Havilland Gyron PS.26/1 turbojets flanked by a pair of 5,000 lb.s.t. DH Spectre Junior liquid-fuelled rocket motors. Armament consisted of two Vickers Red Hebe or DH Blue Jay (Firestreak) missiles mounted above the mid fuselage.

Air Ministry concerns about armaments installation drag prompted the revised Vickers Type 559B. The Type 559B differed in having the two Gyron D.Gy.1 jets mounted side-by-side in a widened rear fuselage. Below the wing, a horizontally-arranged DSpe.D.1 Double Spectre filled the lower rear fuselage. Forward of the rocket motor was a new weapons bay to enclosed the guided missiles.

Neither Vickers OR F.155 proposal was accepted but an AirMin official did suggest that the Type 559B might make the basis for a submission to GOR.339 for a Canberra bomber replacement. This put Vickers-Armstrong in an awkward position since the firm was already backing the advanced Supermarine Type 571 for GOR.339. Accordingly, Vickers made two proposals.

The Supermarine Type 571 would form the more advanced TSR.2 submission, while the Vickers Type 559C would become the 'interim' TSR.1. Compared with its fighter ancestor, the Type 559C would have no titanium in its structure. Nor would it carry booster rocket motors. The emphasis was on simplicity of structure with durability as a secondary consideration (since it would be replaced quickly by the more advanced TSR.2 design).

The prototype Type 559C emerged in July 1961 as the BAC Basalisk. Shown is a Basalisk TSR Mk.1A of No.249 Squadron out of RAF Akrotiri in early 1965. This 'Basil' is dropping an inert Red Beard 'shape' on a Cypriot beach target before pressing on to the Larnaca Bombing Range for its second drop.

NB: This Basalisk began as 2010 Vickers Type 559 artwork by Kevin Jongen