Author Topic: 1/48 Sea Beau  (Read 36955 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/48 Sea Beau
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »
Man, those panel lines... :(

Yeah! just horrible -- and German style tires (tyres)   ???  not seen any photos of any Brit aircraft that had tires like that during the war.

Can't say I'm a fan of the over-worked panel lines but the tyres look like the kit supplied parts & the resin bulgies I have.

Actually, it's the tyres that are concerning me with my build at the moment.

What I have are the regular Beaufighter tyres, which are the round-walled, soft-sided tyres used for land operations. I'm wondering whether I should find some straighter-sided, hard-wall tyres for naval operations & I've had a bit of a look but everything I can find for naval aircraft of a similar vintage (right up to the Tracker) have a smaller diameter than the Beaufighter tyres.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I'll just have a go at modifying the kit wheels, unless I get lazy & just go with the kit wheels as they are (I won't be using the resin bulgies on this build because the bulge is very wide & shows the tyres must have been quite soft).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 09:28:04 AM »

but the tyres look like the kit supplied parts & the resin bulgies I have.

not sure why (see below)

What I have are the regular Beaufighter tyres, which are the round-walled, soft-sided tyres used for land operations. I'm wondering whether I should find some straighter-sided, hard-wall tyres for naval operations & I've had a bit of a look but everything I can find for naval aircraft of a similar vintage (right up to the Tracker) have a smaller diameter than the Beaufighter tyres.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I'll just have a go at modifying the kit wheels, unless I get lazy & just go with the kit wheels as they are (I won't be using the resin bulgies on this build because the bulge is very wide & shows the tyres must have been quite soft).

What diameter are they Guy ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:39:14 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
23mm or a touch over 7/8"

So, converted to RW; 80.5cm or 31.4"(+/-)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:42:50 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »
Sorry, I can't help there, I forgot this is 1/48 and I was going to suggest using something in that scale if it was a 1/72 kit. For my Sabre Mosquito I had made up some wheels which were to be as big as a B-25 wheel

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »
All good! :smiley:

Mind you, the photo you posted is good! It made me realise how over-scale the upper undercarriage parts are on the kit, which works in my favour, as I don't have to bulk them up for naval op's! 8)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 10:57:24 AM »

but the tyres look like the kit supplied parts & the resin bulgies I have.

not sure why (see below)

What diameter are they Guy ?

Those tires look like you could twist them around and make animal shapes out of them!! Did these aircraft have to land and take off in a marsh?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:35:24 PM by kerick »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »
Brit's tended to use low-pressure tyres for land-based aircraft as it allowed them to operate from grass/unprepared airstrips, where the spread of the tyres reduced ground pressure & stopped the aircraft sinking into the ground ... & the Beaufighter was a heavy beastie!

High-pressure tyres require a solid (concrete) runway for land-based op's, limiting where they could be used (during WW2) but are preferable for carrier op's when slamming onto a deck, when low-pressure tyres could "bottom out" & be damaged/blown out.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »
Waiting for "Home & Away" to finish, so I can venture back out to the modelling site.

Should be able to get the detailing work done to the decal stage, minus the Eduard 1/48 Ammo Belts 12.7mm which are working their way towards me via AusPost.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2018, 01:21:22 AM »
High-pressure tyres require a solid (concrete) runway for land-based op's, limiting where they could be used (during WW2) but are preferable for carrier op's when slamming onto a deck, when low-pressure tyres could "bottom out" & be damaged/blown out.
Because you're considering high pressure tires, they could be considerably smaller than the low pressure originals. There's no need to keep them the same diameter, in fact, it's probably more realistic if you end up with smaller diameter and/or narrower high pressure tires. That's one of the reasons that they keep jacking up tire pressure, to get the wheel and tires sizes down and save weight and stowage space.

A Skyraider is approximately the same weight so those wheels, for carrier use, would be about right. Get y'self a pair o' Spad wheels, that'll do the trick.

:smiley:

Paul

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 03:55:57 AM »
Or DH Hornet wheels
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:04:07 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
It's taken a bit longer than planned but that's normal.

Here are the internal mod's done so far. Still waiting on ammo belts & .50cal MG, whilst wondering if I should fork out for some resin seats.

A bit rough & spectacularly inaccurate but suitable for "busying up" the inside.

Cheers! :icon_beer:

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 06:15:10 PM »
The interior of your navalised Beaufighter is inaccurate?  ;D
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »
Yep! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »
Started working on the wing fold system ... This could take a while! :-\

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2018, 02:23:55 PM »
Interior is miiighty fine.
Wing fold system --- more power to you.  Seems like severe plastic punishment.  Speaking from experience cuz put myself thru plenty of that.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »
Thanks, Bill! :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2018, 02:58:43 PM »
[sound of wind whistling by at high speed]

Old Wombat:     So far, so good!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2018, 08:41:16 AM »
This is where I'm at with the wing folds.

Inner wing sections a couple of moves short of done. I have the connections for the outer wing hydraulics & electricals to fit & the tube support for the inner section of the hydraulic ram (the bit that holds the outer wing up when finished).

Once they're done it's on to the outer wings.

Thanks for lookin'! :thumbsup:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
That inner wing detail is most impressive! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2018, 05:04:17 PM »
Thanks, Jeff! :icon_alabanza:

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2018, 08:55:41 PM »
I agree, impressive detail, I think when you'll paint them they'll look the part

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2018, 09:46:29 PM »

Totally agree ----- and very interested in what you come up for the hinge itself ----

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 11:16:28 PM »
the tube support for the inner section of the hydraulic ram (the bit that holds the outer wing up when finished).
This is looking very good.

You might want to consider adding a mechanical stay brace as well as the ram, either in the wing fold area or between the wing and a hardpoint on the fuselage/wing, somewhere. Frequently wing folds have a ground-installed stay to support the wing in case pressure comes off the hydraulic system (or to allow you to purposely reduce hydraulics pressure on the ground to save weight in valves and actuators, etc.).

Just a thought from an aerospace engineering pedant.  ;D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2018, 12:20:16 AM »
the tube support for the inner section of the hydraulic ram (the bit that holds the outer wing up when finished).

This is looking very good.

You might want to consider adding a mechanical stay brace as well as the ram, either in the wing fold area or between the wing and a hardpoint on the fuselage/wing, somewhere. Frequently wing folds have a ground-installed stay to support the wing in case pressure comes off the hydraulic system (or to allow you to purposely reduce hydraulics pressure on the ground to save weight in valves and actuators, etc.).

Just a thought from an aerospace engineering pedant.  ;D

You mean something like these?

Well aware, having put a few in place in my time. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2018, 12:23:34 AM »

Totally agree ----- and very interested in what you come up for the hinge itself ----

The hinges or the fold mechanism? ???

The hinges are the little white bits protruding above the wings.

For the folding mechanism I'm cheating, big-time, & using the unused bits from the Tracker I chopped up to make the Grumman Grebe. ;)