Author Topic: Mister Turquoise  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Mister Turquoise
« on: February 25, 2018, 05:43:31 AM »
This is the Masterbox "World of Fantasy giant Bergtroll". It's supposed to be in 1/24. It was on deeeep discount over the holidays.

Unusual for a Masterbox kit, the fit was poor and the details (especially on the face) were a little soft, especially for a roughly 4" tall figure.

I made some slight changes in the pose and added a triangular blade and brass ring to the club. I also got rid of his harelip and bald spot. He's still ugly.

Here he is pre-shaded:

I originally went with a slightly blueish flesh tone, but decided to add some layers of blue ink to match the boxtop. I don't like the new color, but my wife does, so it stays this color.

Compared to a 1/35 figure, who's clearly commenting on the sad state of Mr. Turquoise's diapers:

Ugly mug:

I have another one of these kits (which includes a 1/24 woman and a midget). When I build it, I'll spend more time refining the details on the face (especially the eyes).

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:46:20 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Mister Turquoise
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »
You could always go with a "Brave Heart" theme and claim the troll was from Scotland.

That could explain away the turquoise skin color... :P
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 04:55:39 AM »
Beautiful work.

Jeffry, your comment reminded me of one of Randall Garrett's early "Lord Darcy" stories, "The Muddle of the Woad".

If y'all have not read these stories, detective stories in an alternate universe where magic, rather than science and technology, developed, I most highly recommend them.  I particularly recommend the collection published by Baen Books as that one catches some stories the other collections miss.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 07:39:47 AM »
Thanks guys - I didn't think of a Scottish theme. McGibson Sugartits?

I was originally thinking of setting this guy (either in blue-ish or red skin color) against several Tamiya 1/35 Samurai, as some sort of Japanese demon. Maybe some day.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 12:16:10 PM »
Like it, but see what you mean about the soft detail, the facial features are not the best I have seen from Masterbox. I hope their new Sci Fi range is a bit better

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 01:06:34 AM »
I get a face like that every Monday.

Great stuff, Frank! You really captured the fearsome look of that beast!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 05:23:17 AM »
Thanks guys. It was a dissapointing build in some ways.

Brian - I actually deepened the mouth, teeth and nose. I should have done the eys and the rest of the face as well.

The new science fiction series seems OK. Some of the details (like fingures and weapons) have soft areas, but the faces look well sculpted and have enough detail for the scale.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:28:29 PM »
I am strongly reminded of Sanda and Gaira from War of the Gargantuas

The soft detail on the face isn't too evident in tehe loger shots, but I see what you mean in the close-up.
Still, pretty good looking build, and nice to see giants getting more attention - it's been naught but bloody dragons for decades...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:31:12 PM by Dr. YoKai »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 02:36:19 AM »
Craig - that pretty much looks like this guy.

The Modelling News has a build of the new SF figures: http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/02/build-review-at-edge-of-universe.html

I think I'll start one this weekend. The women have slightly mannish faces, but that may be lack of paint.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 03:44:44 AM »
I am strongly reminded of Sanda and Gaira from War of the Gargantuas

The soft detail on the face isn't too evident in tehe loger shots, but I see what you mean in the close-up.
Still, pretty good looking build, and nice to see giants getting more attention - it's been naught but bloody dragons for decades...

OMG. I remember watching this documentary. It so so sad the way we treated the Gargantuas.  ;D
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »
Tarquin the Turquoise Troll ... Ain't nothin' wrong with a turquoise troll, a pastel pink troll on the other hand ... ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."