Author Topic: Matthews Aviation Art  (Read 57770 times)

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
Re: Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2017, 12:00:45 PM »
Three more images from today's work.  I've modeled a scoop here, followed by a few bulges there, and the ventral fin at the bottom.  I was also able to clean up a couple things in the mesh to make it easier to pull the UV maps once it's time to texture it.  Going smoothly, all in all.

I'm glad my client only wants profile shots, since that's really going to cut down on modeling time.  For now, anyway.  There are other variants that were also requested, but I can use this model as a base for those.   

This is still split in half, with a symmetry modifier in place (which accounts for any wierdness going on at the tip of the intake cone.

I still have one more scoop to model near the exhaust and the vertical stabilizer, and a couple more bulges, then it's going to be time to collapse the model and start cutting-in the canopy and glazing. 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »

This is the final image before I started cutting edges for the canopy and glazing.  This is actually the part that gives me fits.  I can either "collapse" the model with a smoothing modifier, which enhances the number of edges and polygons on the mesh of the model, or I can try to do it in its "simple" form and see how the edges and polys behave when I add the smoothing modifier afterward.  I'm trying the latter, which may also have the benefit of making the shape of the canopy more accurate.  After dealing with the canopy I'll most likely model the gun, on the starboard side of the aircraft, and then I think I'm finished before pulling UV maps for texturing.  I also added a bit of detail to the inside of the exhaust.  I'm hoping the rest goes smoothly.  Not bad, for four days work.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
A bit more MiG.  Now with a clear canopy:

At this point the model has been collapsed after the canopy was formed and the glazing was cut into the mesh.  I made that clear to better distinguish it.  I also gave it a very basic bare metal finish so my client could get an idea of how it's going to look after I fully texture the model for him. 

The next thing I'm going to do is give the glazing and canopy frame some depth, then create a basic cockpit and ejection seat.  Then it'll be time to start pulling my hair out doing the UV mapping so I can texture this bird.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2017, 02:33:10 AM »
Looking good.

Would love to see you modify this into a operational Ye-2 variant at some point in the future.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2017, 11:03:01 AM »
Looking good.

Would love to see you modify this into a operational Ye-2 variant at some point in the future.

He asked for a few different variants (for which this will serve as a base), but that wasn't one of them.  I'm sure after I'm done with the job I'll be using the model in my own artwork, so perhaps I'll modify it then.  He also wanted a MiG-23 and an IL-28.  I'm not certain I'll have everything he wants finished by the November deadline he requested, but I'll complete what I can between my "real" job and family commitments.  If my boys were still playing baseball it would be a real time crunch!  Ha!

This morning before work I was able to cut the canopy from the mesh and created its shell, so it has two sides and more depth.  Next will be a very rudimentary cockpit tub and ejection seat.  I'll post more images in a couple days I'm sure  :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:04:55 AM by john_matthews129 »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
This could be fun if he asked for a Ye-7/1 (MiG-21PF nose but with MiG-21F canopy and aft glazing without the bulge the MiG-21PF and all subsequent MiG-21 variants had).

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2017, 10:16:57 PM »
This could be fun if he asked for a Ye-7/1 (MiG-21PF nose but with MiG-21F canopy and aft glazing without the bulge the MiG-21PF and all subsequent MiG-21 variants had).

The client requested profiles of the MiG-21PFM, MiG-21R, and MiG-21Bis.  He also wanted profiles of the SU-20, SU-22 Fitter F, SU-22M4 Fitter K, and the MiG-23 to round-out his Russian aircraft.  I'm thinking those are the ones which may be important to his story, whatever that may be.   

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2017, 07:54:39 PM »
So sharp and metallic :-*

I've never been able to get such results in my renderings, hats off to you :icon_alabanza:

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »
So sharp and metallic :-*

I've never been able to get such results in my renderings, hats off to you :icon_alabanza:

Hey, thanks!  What you see on the model now is just a very simple metal tone with a bit of reflectivity thrown in.  The actual look of the finished texture will look more like the one I used for the XB-51 illustrations. 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
Been a while since I posted any progress on my client's MiG-21.  I made a metal shader for it after unwrapping the model and mapping it.  After that came adding areas of varied reflection and gloss values, which seems to always involve a lot of tinkering with gray scales to get anything satisfactory. 

The surface is still a bit too reflective and mirror-like.  So that has to be toned-down.  You can absolutely get lost playing with each and every value to create the metal and really lose track of what works quickly if not taking notes.

So those were the first set of images I sent to my client after finishing the renders.  He and I have since exchanged emails regarding trim colors, insignia colors and sizes, and the color of numbers on the plane.  I'm glad to get the input, most certainly, since I want him to be happy with the finished product.

He also requested missiles, so this afternoon I modeled ATOLL missiles and racks for the plane.  I also tinkered with the metal finish and changed the trim color to his satisfaction.

The missiles were easy to model and texture, so that part went pretty quickly.

I'm finished now until I've heard back from my client regarding his choices of number styles, stencil types, number colors, and variations of his chosen insignias. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2017, 02:23:49 AM »
Interesting roundels - I don't recognise them.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2017, 06:12:08 AM »
Interesting roundels - I don't recognise them.

Those are part of the story my client's writing, and one of the elements of the illustrations he wanted  :smiley:

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2017, 06:17:46 AM »
A bit of weathering along the panel lines, changes to the fuselage numbers, and minor changes to the insignias...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2017, 01:37:15 AM »
Those are part of the story my client's writing, and one of the elements of the illustrations he wanted  :smiley:

Ah ok.  I was starting to question my recognition skills. ;)

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2017, 10:11:54 PM »
Here's the final version:

Now I move onto the second plane for the same client, a MiG-21 PFM.  The 3D model of the first variant is saved so it can be modified for this variant.  Will begin work on that Sunday.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »
Sweet! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2017, 01:42:19 AM »
That is lovely! Perfect balance of shiny BFM and Soviet-scruffy  :D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »
Beautiful work!  I presume this is a later model with the four-hardpoint wing and a blanked rear glazing?  Or one derived from some Chinese J-7 interations?

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2017, 05:06:45 AM »
That is lovely! Perfect balance of shiny BFM and Soviet-scruffy  :D

Sorry it took so long to respond!  Thank you very much! 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2017, 05:15:14 AM »
Beautiful work!  I presume this is a later model with the four-hardpoint wing and a blanked rear glazing?  Or one derived from some Chinese J-7 interations?

Thank you so much! 

Yes, the later model  As a matter of fact, I did sling some ATOLS underneath since that's what my client asked for:

Here's the next one I'm doing for the same client.  No texture as yet.  He's asked that the finish be duller, with a bit more weathering:

After I've finished a few details this one's pretty much ready for UV coordinate mapping and texture work.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2017, 07:29:53 AM »
My "day job" has been hectic.  About all I've felt like doing is flopping in front of a TV and watching a movie after work lately.  Working on the MiGs is relaxing, too, though, so I've been able to get some texturing work done on this variant:

Somewhat darker shades than the previous variant, and the weathering at the panel lines stands-out a bit more.  Here's a 3 View:

This is an odd time of year.  No daily baseball games!  The regular season is over.  :o   No post-season ball games until later this week!

I'm going through withdrawals...   :-X

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
Great job so far John  :smiley:\
Do you take into consideration the MF version?
Cheers

MLS it's still on if you like soccer. ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:56:56 AM by AXOR »
Alex

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2017, 02:47:48 AM »
...This is an odd time of year.  No daily baseball games!  The regular season is over.  ...

Looks like that will be to our benefit  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
Great job so far John  :smiley:\
Do you take into consideration the MF version?
Cheers

MLS it's still on if you like soccer. ;D

Thanks very much!

Funny you mention that; I'm working on the MF right now.  It shouldn't take very long to complete modeling on that one since I'll just have to make modifications to this variant.  That'll end the fighters for awhile.  I was asked to also make three Russian airliners and a couple bombers after completing the MF/Bison variant.  I'm enjoying the work, that's for sure (more importantly, my client is happy with the illustrations).  Then I want to finish my F-105, which sits forlornly in the recesses of my computer and beckons to be completed. 

MLS?  I'm not as big a fan of soccer as my former next door neighbor.  He's from Turkey.  He dated a gal from Germany.  I guess it was four years or so ago teams from both countries were playing against each other in the FIFA World Cup finals, and, lemme tell ya,  things got pretty spirited/heated over at his place for awhile.  Ha!  There was a group in St. Louis which tried to get attract MLS into coming here, but they weren't able to come to terms on a stadium with the city government.  I'm sure it'll happen in the future though.  It would certainly be good for the region since the sport is popular.  Thank goodness for post season baseball!  Although, its just delaying the inevitable-the dead period of time between no baseball ( :o) and the day pitchers and catchers report for spring training. 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »
...This is an odd time of year.  No daily baseball games!  The regular season is over.  ...

Looks like that will be to our benefit  ;D

Thanks so much!  Yep, late fall/winter (my boys and I renamed winter to simply "no baseball") will be spent building a back log of models (Monogram 1/48 B-58, Hasagawa 1/32 F-5 and F-16A, Revell 1/24 Gemini, and a Revell 1/32 P-47D) with the boys, and my 3D illustrations.