Author Topic: Hawker Typhoon/Tempest  (Read 28203 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Hawker Typhoon/Tempest
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2020, 12:44:51 PM »
That would be a subtle whiff that could cause people to go scrambling for reference books to confirm.. >:D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2022, 11:04:50 PM »
While looking for sprue photos (there are none) of the upcoming 1/72  KP Tempest MK.II/F.2/FB.2  I found this report on the Tempest performance and a comparison of it to the P-47 Thunderbolt. Very interesting.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/tempest/tempest-II-cfe.html

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Online The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2023, 10:59:42 PM »
Breaking news!

Another episode of: "attraction to a distraction"

Regarding a paper only Typhoon based design found on SPF (link below):

Early in 1940 the Air Ministry issued Specification F.4/40 calling for a two-seat, high-altitude interceptor to counter the threat posed by high flying reconnaissance Junkers Ju 86 P.

To meet this requirement, Hawker proposed the project P.1004, a 25 per cent scaled-up version of the Typhoon with a second crewman, pressurised cockpit and six wing-mounted Hispano cannons.

Early 1941 the Specification was revised as F.7/41 and the P.1004 was dropped in favour of the Westland Welkin.

P.1004 technical data

Power plant: One Napier Sabre Mk 1 S.M, 24 cylinder ‘H’, liquid cooled engine, rated at 1,850 hp, driving one de Havilland three-bladed constant-speed airscrew, wingspan: 52 ft (15.8 m), length: 39 ft (11.9 m), wing surface: 405 sq.ft (37.7 sq.m), estimated maximum weight: 13,930 lbs (6,319 kg) with 283 gal. fuel, estimated maximum speed: 380 mph (611 kph), estimated ceiling: 37,000 ft (12,280 m), rate of climb: 2,250 ft/min, armament: six wing-mounted 20 mm Hispano Mk.II cannons.

I believe this is buildable.
I would need a 6' fuselage inset starting at the end of the canopy.
The wing chord taper is good. Need to find/build the 4 1/2' extensions. Suggestions?

A MK.II could be built up using wing radiators (Tempest MK.I) or a radial engine (Tempest MK.II) . Need to research engine performance at attitude.

Attached are photos of the Brengun Typhoon MK.Ia kit overlaid on Justo's drawings (98-99% to 1/72 scale).

RAF-Hawker-P1004-02
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

RAF-Hawker-P1004-01
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

IMG-3122
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

IMG-3120
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

IMG-3121
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

SPF Source: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/anybody-got-drawings-from-the-hawker-p-1004-project.36496/

To be continued ....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 11:15:46 PM by The Big Gimper »

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Online The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2023, 11:09:37 PM »
 .... and now on to part 2

I have a copy of the Maintrack Tornado conversion.

This photo is a brain storming session on how to built Vulture engined Tornados, Typhoons and Tempests.

The top fuselage is the Maintrack conversion. Ughh! Uses the ancient Airfix Typhoon kit. Will get better Typhoon wings and exhausts from a Hurricane. Photos show a very close match. .
The middle fuselage is the Academy Typhoon MK.Ib. If I file down the exhaust stacks and replace with two from a Hurricane, it's a Vulture. The chin cooler is a bit small, it can built up if required
The bottom fuselage is the Academy Tempest MK.V. If I fill in exhaust stacks cut outs and replace with two from a Hurricane, it's a Vulture. The chin cooler is almost the same size.

Tornado-08
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

Brengun makes the MK.Ia so this is my starting place.
A quick check shows a bubble canopy can be easily substituted so there will be MK.Ib.
And maybe a MK.II and MK.III.

Mua ha ha ha ha!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 01:20:07 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2023, 12:49:39 AM »
I imagine Tempests might have been effective in some places in Africa and the Middle East between the end of WWII and at least the mid 1950s.

In the early post war years, the RAF had around half a dozen Tempest squadrons at their Middle East bases.

I know Britain transfered a bunch of Tempest Mk.II to India in the late 1940s.

RAF Tempests also were used against insurgents in the early years of the Malayan Emergency.

I wonder how the 1948 Arab-Israeli War would have gone if Tempests had been transfered to Israel.

The Tempest might also have been a useful machine in some of the smaller bush wars and border skirmishes in Africa.

Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/