Author Topic: Project MIDNIGHT SKY Part 1  (Read 2102 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Project MIDNIGHT SKY Part 1
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »
Hi all,
After being inspired by a dramatised retelling of the "James Incident" of 1994, I've decided to model the chief two aircraft involved.

In early 1992 a chase plane was needed for MIDNIGHT SKY, in order to keep tabs on the prototype, and the only aircraft which came close to matching its performance was the F-15F prototype.

I managed to obtain a document regarding the XF-15F's transfer to HAWC:

Unfortunately my camera has no battery so I can't offer any photos of the build so far, but I'm using a 1/72 Academy F-15E to represent "Cheetah" and work is well underway - cockpit painted and in, and airframe together. This weekend I hope to fill and sand the wings to (sort of) show the aeroelastic, mission-adaptable wing. The biggest headache will be the 2D nozzles - others have done them in the past, luckily I have plenty of reference photos saved and lots of Evergreen sheets!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
Re: Project MIDNIGHT SKY Part 1
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:05:59 AM »
Nice!

This should be fun. :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 05:48:24 AM »
Yes, you've got my attention!

What is the Mango King up to? Only time will tell...

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »
I may start DreamStar from an old F-16 I have....I emailed Mr Brown asking for ideas of what she looked like, including scans of my own sketches, but no reply yet.

Tomorrow's Saturday here, and Cheetah and DreamStar will be on the bench along with my F-111K.  8)
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates