Author Topic: B-66I שָׁדַד Shadad  (Read 4747 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
B-66I שָׁדַד Shadad
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
Another late entry. In a similar theme to apophenia's B-58i Ariyyáhu, there once was the B-66I שָׁדַד or Shadad. The Destroyer.

Take a few surplus B-66s, replace the two Allison J71-As with four TF34-GE-2s, add the B-57G "Tropic Moon II" FLIR/LLLTV nose, include the usual Israeli indigenous upgrades along with some GBU-10, GBU-12 and GBU-16 Paveway IIs and you have a nice and quiet, long loiter time bunker buster.

Start with an Italeri B-66, TF34As from S-3 Vikings, FLIR/LLLTV nose from the Italeri B-57G, bombs and drop tanks from Hasegawa and spares box.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:43:34 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: B-66I שָׁדַד Shadad
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »
Can't wait to see it!

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:56:31 PM »
This sounds really cool.  Can't wait to see it in the flesh (plastic)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 12:30:17 PM »
I like it! Especially the switch to four engines  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Acree

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 03:21:24 AM »
Hey BG!  I had completely forgotten about your project when I decided to start mine - I should have known those ideas were not original to me.  But I figure our projects are different enough to not really be seen as competing.  I hope you don't feel like I hijacked your idea - if I did it was unintentional. 

How is your project coming? 

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 06:43:42 AM »
Hey Chuck!!!

No worries at my end. Its all good. This could be the beginning of a B-66/A-3 SIG. I don't see myself building any of my B-66s/A-3s OOB.

I'm not that farther ahead of you. My idea is only 1 week older than yours. I was away on business travel this week so nothing got done. And I'm away again the week of 8th. Ughh!!

Engines are near completion but not painted. Cockpit is still being built and painted. I still need to work out the placement of the engines, weapons carriage and drop tanks. I want to also add bumps, lumps and an IFR.

So my build will be a race to the finish time.

Carl

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:31:37 AM by The Big Gimper »

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline Acree

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 05:28:24 AM »
What are you doing for IFR?  The real B-66 had a detachable probe for probe-and-drogue style refueling, but I propose that it would have changed if the aircraft had remained in service, in line with other TAC aircraft.  I'm thinking that a flying boom style IFR receptacle would have been added during the re-engine or some other major mod.  I am attempting to source my IFR receptacle from an A-7D (which is probably sitting in my mailbox right now). 

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 06:50:34 PM »
What are you doing for IFR?  The real B-66 had a detachable probe for probe-and-drogue style refueling, but I propose that it would have changed if the aircraft had remained in service, in line with other TAC aircraft.  I'm thinking that a flying boom style IFR receptacle would have been added during the re-engine or some other major mod.  I am attempting to source my IFR receptacle from an A-7D (which is probably sitting in my mailbox right now).

I'm going to use a probe-and-drogue approach.  This way the IAF can use existing A-4s and C-130s with buddy pods.

Offline Acree

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 11:29:55 PM »
Ahhhh!  Makes good sense.  My A-7D receptacle works like a champ for me. I'll post pics on my own thread tomorrow.