Author Topic: Pimp My Gun and Pimp My AirSoft  (Read 62541 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: Pimp My Gun and Pimp My AirSoft
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 02:59:30 AM »
M16A2 has a lengthened stock (16mm longer, according to Wikipedia) compared to the M16A1.  Would someone tell me why?

I actually PSed it from a M16A1 a while ago, just adding an aftermarket grip and an A2 stock now.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:09:19 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 04:10:22 AM »
Troops with longer arms???
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 04:36:35 AM »
Troops with longer arms???

The thought does cross my mind, but then I start wondering why they waited until A2 to take it into account......
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:42:24 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 07:20:52 AM »
Perhaps it also stemmed from the original AR-15's 'survival rifle' origins.

Anyhoo here's some more PMG stuff:

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

Rifled slug shotgun as an unorthodox combat weapon?
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I see......

Dark grey shell is a slug, whitish-grey shell is a CS gas canister, and the green shell is meant to depict a FRAG-12......

Just for fun......

I'm wondering, though, how easy it would be to modify the CS gas and grenade shells for spin stabilization so that they can be fired out of a rifled slug shotgun......

Wikipedia states that modern shotguns tend to be able swap between rifled and smoothbore barrel in under a minute...... then would the installed optics require adjustment after each barrel swap?

Would the QLB-06/QLZ-87B grenade launcher be an alternative?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:15:25 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 01:50:37 PM »
In truth, the various shells have significantly different tactical applications, so trying to streamline them into one system would be disadvantageous in my opinion.  A scoped shotgun is obviously appropriate for slugged ammo, but the scope becomes superfluous for CS or FRAG-12 applications.  Equally, a tactically equipped smoothbore is inappropriate for a slugged round.

Swapping out barrels & sighting blocks is the obvious choice for one platform.  Not that hard, but one wouldn't take both into the field, unless you had a dual barrelled weapon perhaps.

Realistically, a slug round isn't that advantageous over other conventional weapons.  It'll hit hard, true enough, but with limited range, how is it any better than an M4 or other AR?

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 10:29:12 AM »
For my PMG gallery, the day I added to it an AR fed by AK-47 magazines was after 2011's Boxing Day......

But for me, it was Tuesday.

The top one is modelled after the newer (and allegedly more expensive) MARCK-15 Hydra, whereas the bottom one is modelled after AR-47 lower receiver, which is said to accept "simpler" non-proprietary 7.62 x 39mm upper receivers (Hydra is designed for proprietary uppers from the same company, albeit available in variety of different calibres).

I found neither lending themselves well to the use of M203 though- AR-47 due to the AK magazine's curve, and MARCK-15 does not appear to accept aftermarket RIS.  Granted, my amateur fascination prefers muzzle-launched rifle grenades......

=======================================================

In truth, the various shells have significantly different tactical applications, so trying to streamline them into one system would be disadvantageous in my opinion.

Realistically, a slug round isn't that advantageous over other conventional weapons.  It'll hit hard, true enough, but with limited range, how is it any better than an M4 or other AR?

I see.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:46:07 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 03:58:43 AM »
Here's some more from me:

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 11:11:17 AM »
In truth, the various shells have significantly different tactical applications, so trying to streamline them into one system would be disadvantageous in my opinion.  A scoped shotgun is obviously appropriate for slugged ammo, but the scope becomes superfluous for CS or FRAG-12 applications.  Equally, a tactically equipped smoothbore is inappropriate for a slugged round.

Swapping out barrels & sighting blocks is the obvious choice for one platform.  Not that hard, but one wouldn't take both into the field, unless you had a dual barrelled weapon perhaps.

Shotguns are both a favorite and  speciality of mine. I will admit that I am about 20 years behind ,when I was using them in combat we had buckshot and slugs :zombie: However ,my brother was a cop of 35 years and I have always loved the shotgun as a combat weapon so I am kind of up on stuff.
First off no military shotgun needs a scope of any kind. Scopes, for shotgun slugs, are strictly a hunting application to make the most accurate shot to not cause suffering to an animal.
Second , the most accurate shotgun slugs available are only good out to a maximum of about 125 yards. Any good ghost ring iron site will give you all the combat accuracy you need.
On barrels. A properly set up, back bored , smooth bore ,well choked barrel with nice sights is sufficient to make slug hits on a torso out to 75 yards.
I had  an 18 inch, back bored ,barrel that would keep 8 00 buckshot in 14 inches at 50 yards and shoot 5 inch groups with Brenneke slugs at 100 yards.
Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
Does anyone have a more-clear picture or even just line drawing of this combination?

(This scheme looks like it would work great for CQBR and Colt SMG......)

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
Thanks for the info John.  I'd seen discussions in some magazines back in the 80s about the use of slugged shotguns as 'sniper' type weapons in an urban setting, but perhaps that was just the musings of the writer rather than a serious thought.  I've always been led to believe that a rifled barrel is the most appropriate for a slug round rather than the conventional smoothbore, but since it can be used, different ammo types become a possiblity.  Once again though, the range of the round versus any conventional round tends to detract from its effectiveness.

Donny, the CAR-15 & 203 was a combo I first saw in the 80s, prior to the introduction of the M4.  The photo, however mentions it as an M203PI which is the Product Improved model.  The rifle is definitely an older, pre M4 weapon, as evidenced by the barrel & fixed carrying handle.  The mount itself is a PI mount instead of the standard mount seen on the weapon in the 80s because it's fixed below the foreguard of the weapon rather than replacing part of it.  As for it's application, pretty much any modern AR can be tooled up to hang a 203 off, even bullpup weapons or MP5 SMGs.  See here: http://m203pi.com/home.htm

Regards,

John

Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 12:08:44 AM »
I was just wondering if there is a mounting method that looks a bit more tidy than attaching to the short rail.

But I suppose the rail would probably still be fine, being used to display a Shirke SAW configuration in a picture below.

The bottom picture looks as if it's based on the XM177......

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 05:27:30 AM »
Donny,

The PI rail is quite adequate, especially with shorter 9" barrel on the 203.

The XM/203 combo is an odd one as the mount doesn't look like the normal mount from that era.  I wonder if it is a civilian conversion or even another military's.  I have seen a Vietnam era XM mounted with a GL, but can't recall if it was an early XM148 or 203 (I do suspect the former though).  The pic in question is within my references, but they are in storage.

Anyhoo, on with more PMG stuff:

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 01:03:20 PM »
The XM/203 combo is an odd one as the mount doesn't look like the normal mount from that era.

Timeframe of its existence does not concern me so long as it is "eligible" within the premise of a Half-Life doujin......  :D

Anyway...... if PMG had implemented wooden textures as a colouring option, it'd have gone well with this one:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 01:15:15 PM »
Any H&K G11s coming guys?

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »
Greg,

None of the Pimp sites have G11s available at this point.  For myself, it's a bit 'plain jane' as there'd be little you could do with it beyond maybe a different sight or GL.

And with that, here's some more:

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 07:54:34 AM »
Yup, Maverick is correct on it not existing in any of the PMG templates.

I do wonder what the circled item is (wondering if it is essential enough such that a Picatinny rail can't take its place)......
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:56:34 AM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »
As I understand it, the item you have circled is part of the magazine for the gun.  You probably wouldn't want to mount anything there anyway, unless it was separate to the magazine.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 08:10:28 AM »
It would appear that you are correct (see attachment).  Dang.

Then I personally can only think of Picatinny rails on the scope rings themselves for now (when someone implements the rifle in PMG)......

====================================================

Only the HK416 did not go through Photoshop (although for the second one the extent is limited to a laser effect from the old app)......  :dizzy:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 03:07:59 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 08:42:36 AM »
Took a break and tried out the new version of PMG this afternoon.  It is a bit on the conservative side since I was learning what I could do with the features. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline dy031101

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 07:53:52 AM »
Please scroll a bit further down for the pic.

I like look-alikes.  :D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:03:54 PM by dy031101 »

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »
I like the 203 parts on the EGLM of the ACR.  For some reason, the 'real' EGLM/SCAR combo looks clunky to me.

Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 04:52:35 AM »

New item is on top- XM8 in grenadier form.  SCAR and ACR were kept alongside...... well, maybe for comparison.

Even though it's just my best guesstimation based on photos, it was a pain in the butt to modify......

(Belated) Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:38:43 PM by dy031101 »

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 08:55:07 AM »
Always thought the XM8 was a nice looking weapon.  Pity they deep-sixed it.  But then the SCAR-L got dumped too which was a bit of a surprise.  I'd suggest though Donny, that the GL looks a little large on the weapon.

Here's some more of mine:

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2012, 09:09:12 AM »
It burns me out......  :dizzy:

I would appreciate some guidance.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:46:08 PM by dy031101 »