Author Topic: You left the hack in the snow Yoong Sung  (Read 1397 times)

You left the hack in the snow Yoong Sung
« on: December 19, 2020, 12:42:15 PM »
Ok, I think this makes it two builds this year  :( , sort of better than zero.

Anyway.

I had an old Rare-Planes vac form Fairey Firefly I got in a swap about a decade or so ago that was languishing on the shelf of doom, plus some old South Korean AF decals from a T-6, so I decided to finish them both off.

First, to anyone who makes vac-forms on a regular basis, my hat's off to you. The airscrew, wheels, canopy, interior fittings, u/c components and ... well, most of it really ... were either useless or worse on this one, so if you do these and win you are a crazy AND talented.

Me, being only the first of the two, I decided to make this one an old South Korean Airforce hack used for rough-field snow touch and goes on jury rigged skis. Only trouble is that flight Lieutenant Yoong Sung left the thing out in the open when the first dusting of snow came around, so he's in the bad books and I get a chance to play around with some Windsor and Newton oil paints (and cover the yellowed canopy with some snow - I tried to put it in the sun to bleach it out but, after a week here in Brisbane it made no difference).

The skis are scratch built and replace the ridiculous button wheels, and hide plate iron wheel-well covers and spaghetti oleos.

The canopy was awful, the interior yawning (especially the rear position), so a light white dusting over the grime and grot underneath was welcomed.

Finally the spares box gave an aircrew and hub that nearly look ok, and the old Academy decals gave no trouble at all.

Colour scheme is (of course) just spurious, trying to use up some dregs at the bottom of Tamiya and Mr Color bottles I had hanging around.

And that's it for me and vac-forms for a long time.
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: You left the hack in the snow Yoong Sung
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »
Great work!  Definitely looks well worn and not lovingly cared for. :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 05:48:53 PM »
For the venerable Rareplanes Fulmar, that is a pretty good build. It was the only game in town for a lot of years in that space until the somewhat ordinary Vista injection release came out.
I have built it as well in days gone by and you are right, a lot of stuff needs to come from the spares box to keep some sanity.

Well done.

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 06:08:38 PM »
My first reaction was the weathering was a bit extreme, then i read the back story, my second reaction is perfect. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have only made one  vacform in my time and that was a disaster, so hats off to  you for making this one look so good.

I have at least three vacforms in my stash and it is unlikely they will ever get built !

Nice work on the ski's.

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 06:10:22 PM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 01:50:09 AM »
Outstanding. :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »
Ahh, Rare Plane and shirt button wheels take me back ... but not in a good way  :o

Great save on an old vacuform - especially the 'snow-covered' yellowing transparencies! Brilliant  :smiley:

And the backstory is hilarious  ;D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 11:44:50 AM »
Inspiring build combining a lot of bits with care and a great back story.