Author Topic: dy031101's Mental Notes  (Read 318302 times)

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Another Shipbucket Alteration
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 05:16:36 AM »
Great one. Love the Sea Tornado

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 05:30:21 AM »
Thanks.  I am inclined to start thinking of Shipbucket drawings as something that is like a "small and simple, but illustrating an idea" kind of thing.  I like that.

Granted, a 3D model can be more detailed, but they are like a plastic/resin/diecast model in that they take time and attention to detail to make, just not occupying physical volumes......
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:47:07 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Two More Shipbucket Alterations
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »

I always wonder what if we put Gearing FRAM mod. and DDG-1 Gyatt together...... then I want to protray it as part of an European-influenced navy, so Otomat SSM was added.  The launcher is a hybrid of Mk.10 and Mk.26 put together by the ship's operator country; target illumination for SM-1MR is actually meant to be provided by two STIR-180s emplaced side-by-side.  I originally wanted to keep two twin 5" forward but then realized that I didn't quite know where else to put ASW torpedo launchers, so one of the main gun turrets was replaced by a Sea Vulcan and the torpedo launchers.

I want to do this one as a Nike-Phoenix ship after elmayerle mentioned it.  I did start out from the Albany class cruiser drawing, but I intended it as a merely-Albany-influenced newly-built (maybe somewhere in or after the '70s, and maybe not even made-in-USA) vessel.  I figure that with a more-compact fire control system, the superstructure wouldn't have to be that tall...... except for the smokestacks I guess.

Expect further minor adjustment to this...... first off, I don't know if I'm happy with keeping the original style of bridge superstructure- I always thought the Russian Kirov class has a cooler-looking style to it and am a little bit tempted to emulate.  Two, I wonder what kind of European-influenced sensor suite would be as close as I get or better to the American NTU (granted, since I'm going for the Nike-Phoenix anyway, the question "why don't you just go for NTU" is bound to surface somewhere down the road).  Third, either that ASROC launcher amidship would be modified to fire Harpoon missiles, or it has gotta go and be replaced with dedicated AShM containers......

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:37:04 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline JP Vieira

• What-If World
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »
Thanks.  I am inclined to start thinking of Shipbucket drawings as something that is like a "small and simple, but illustrating an idea" kind of thing.  I like that.

Granted, a 3D model can be more detailed, but they are like a plastic/resin/diecast model in that they take time and attention to detail to make, just not occupying physical volumes......

Agree. I enjoy both working methods (it depends on my mood): either more detailed or faster but still very effective.
I am also developing a method of illustrating some ideas (particular scenes) in a less time-consuming way.
Thank you

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Keeping Brainstorming
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »
Keeping brainstorming...... now adding more of elmayerle's idea (by the virtue of Rockwell VFX's AWG-9).  I'm also hoping that some minor cosmetic change to the bridge can "give off a different feel to it".

I don't know why I felt the urge to replace the 5" guns with the Japanese 100mm/L65...... I just did feel it.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:18:49 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- My Thought Spins Off / Vikramaditya or Kreml?
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »
Yesterday it came to me...... the Rockwell VFX for some reason kinda reminds me of the MiG-29......

Well then, it just might go well with a carrier that reminds me of either Vikramaditya or Kreml, too.

Two questions in the meantime:

1. does anyone know how the Rockwell VFX would have carried the AIM-54?

2. Vikramaditya or Kreml? (See poll: the WIP went Vikramaditya for now but surely I can still push it either way.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:54:48 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »
It seems I am the first one to vote, dy. I was not understanding the words but Google helped: Indian carrier of Sea-Harrier or Russian classical carrier, right?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »
It seems I am the first one to vote, dy. I was not understanding the words but Google helped: Indian carrier of Sea-Harrier or Russian classical carrier, right?

Vikramaditya is the ex-STOVL aviation cruiser converted into a more-traditional STOBAR configuration for India's upcoming MiG-29.

Kreml as linked to in my post is the speculative configuration of what turns out to be Kusnetzov.  Before the real Kusnetzov showed up, the West thought it would simply have been a bigger and badder Kiev class with catapults.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:24:23 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- My Thought Spins Off
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »
It appears that Kreml votes outnumber Vikramaditya, so here it is:

It's meant to be a companion ship to the Nike-Phoenix missile cruiser, and the embarked aircraft are already armed with long range missiles, so the aviation cruiser itself does not carry area air defence weapons.  Instead, the ship's onboard armaments are intended primarily for anti-ship (Harpoon missiles) and anti-submarine (ASROC) warfares.  And because it's a companion ship to that Nike-Phoenix missile cruiser, I was going to use the Japanese-made 100mm/L65 guns again but ended up thinking that a more-optimised AA gun might be more useful, hence the ultimate choice of the 76mm guns.  The ship is intended to have two "internal" type deck elevators like the Kiev class or the Giuseppe Garibaldi.

Now putting the Kreml next to it:

...... okay.  Maybe I should have used the Tomahawk ABLs instead of the Harpoon launchers......

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:38:50 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- My Thought Spins Off Continued
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »

Added below-waterline parts to the aviation cruiser and replaced the Harpoon launchers...... inside the modified Armored Box Launchers is a twin-tube for a fictional evolution of Rb08 as a counterpart to P-500 Bazalt SSM used by the Kiev class (maybe all that is left of the Rb08 is the general external appearance).

Think of its angled deck as in the configuration of the one used by Vikramaditya except, since it launches non-STOVL aircraft without a skijump, for the presence of two catapults and associated blast deflectors.

I was having an intellectual exercise on what an exportable Kiev class cruiser would have been like but was stuck after putting Volna launchers in place of the Shtorm systems.  I wonder how potent those post-2000 Pechora upgrades could have made the Volna system......

==========================================================

A while ago I heard that MEKO 360H2 was actually one of the candidates for the Taiwanese project that ultimately led to the local construction of O.H. Perry class FFG.  Hum......

Granted, the 12-round SM-1 launcher falls far short of the 40-round capacity of O.H. Perry; I frankly don't know how or if the ROC would have actually armed the MEKO with SM-1 missiles (considering there would have been no ROCN O.H. Perry in this case, however......); the four 40mm/L70 positions would have been quite some counter to the PLAN of the old though.

The electronics remain mostly unchanged (except for the removal of the dedicated FCRs for the 40mm since 40mm guns in ROCN are an anti-FAC weapon rather than a CIWS) as the ROCN had a history of using Dutch products on their warships, too.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:04:37 PM by dy031101 »

Offline JP Vieira

• What-If World
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
Looking great

Offline dy031101

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »
This is...... a couple of "antagonist" vessels.

Although primarily intended for anti-submarine warfare (hence a glider-delivered-torpedo launcher at the stern), this class of destroyer is actually also armed with a turbojet-powered evolution of the Termit AShM, making it capable of contributing in fleet actions.

Anti-surface warfare version of the destroyer illustrated in the top picture.  SAM launcher is relocated aft, and the 5"/L40 DP gun as well as the glider-delivered-torpedo launcher gave way to two twin 5"/L50 turrets that are more powerful against surface targets but only nominally capable of AA use due to their very slow training speeds compared to the truly-DP 5"/L40.

========================================================================

Maybe I should come up with a wider variety of ships to carry the evolved Rb08 for fleet actions, too...... or a version of it as LACM......
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:08:26 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Another Aircraft Cruiser
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »
Notes for the picture:

Another aircraft cruiser- this onet has six 15"/L42 guns, four in two twin turrets and one in a casemate on each side, as a bombardment weapon with a range of about 32000 yards.

In sorties involving anti-aircraft manoeuvres, the cruiser can embark F7U-4 Cutlass interceptors, version re-equipped with J54 (a.k.a. Avon) turbojets, a stronger double-extensible nose undercarriage leg (so that the forward fuselage can remained lowered until catapult launch for easy crew access), and a TV camera that enables the two-man crew to visually identify target for Sparrow missile attacks.  It is also known to operate the somewhat more-versatile F5D Skylancer air-superiority fighters (with a frequently-exercised secondary role of surface attack using bombs and rockets), the compact H-2 Seasprite helicopters, and E-1 Tracer AEW aircraft.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:37:06 AM by dy031101 »

Offline JP Vieira

• What-If World
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09:25 AM »
Your boat designs are great

Offline Rafael

• El capitán del Cartón
  • Head of the Venezuelan Brigade
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 12:32:35 AM »
Ditto!!!

And this heavily armed Aircraft Cruiser means business
I don't take life seriously. I'm not getting out of it alive anyways.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 06:09:56 AM »
Thanks.  ;)

Re-arranged things a little to increase the number of CIWS from two to four (each icon is now denoting a pair, port-and-starboard of the superstructure and the stern).  And the F7U-4 now uses bridles like everyone else on the ship.

Would keeping some fire control radars around help the Simbad launchers in their operations?  Or do they really need only the 3D air search radar and nothing could be gained with anything more?

People might also wonder why this cruiser has sonar despite a lack of ASW weapons...... maybe utility/transport Seasprites outfitted with torpedo pylons to carry out vectored attacks could be the weapons.

=======================================================================

And an old one of mine:

All previously-posted aircraft cruisers (excluding that Kreml with Russian Red Star in #35; it was there just for comparison) in this thread are actually meant to go with this one in a Strangereal-like parallel worlds setting, hence the rather liberal mix of equipment of various origin for those ships  ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:50:54 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Just some very fast one today......

Alterations are rather limited in scope here.  Just the CNGF-UK from the Never Built section with hull of Horizon from the Real Design section.  Just figured that since they share common origins......
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:26:28 PM by dy031101 »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »
Nice! That Dauphin looks a little lost on the Forbin deck though (compared with the Merlin anyway)  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline dy031101

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »
That Dauphin looks a little lost on the Forbin deck though (compared with the Merlin anyway)  ;)

Better?  ;)

Yeah, I probably should have modded the upper drawing with a NH90, too, even if just for comparison purposes.

=========================================================

This is meant as the alternative to the destroyer armed with navalized HAWK missile here.

Due to the location of the loader, the launcher faces toward the helipad for reloading.  And the hanger is now of a telescoping type.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:32:58 AM by dy031101 »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
Better?  ;)

Yeah, I probably should have modded the upper drawing with a NH90, too, even if just for comparison purposes.

Much!  My comment was aimed more at  Marine nationale's RW capabilities than your excellent image. Now if NHI could just deliver on time ... ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline dy031101

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2012, 08:03:57 PM »
Just...... some of the stuff you might see again in the future.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »
Looks like some interesting Vigi developments there.  Any chance of seeing a KA-5 derivative of the RA-5C?  That's on my list of projects along with an EA-5.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 08:15:03 AM »
Looks like some interesting Vigi developments there.

I remember that once upon a time, I saw a line drawing of an interceptor version of the Vigilante armed with AIM-54...... and I don't mean the NR-349.

My memory tells me that it has VG wings...... but now all I could find is the attached picture.

And I am still thinking hard on what kind of ships I ought to put them on  :icon_meditation: