Author Topic: Hinamaru Havoc II  (Read 34433 times)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: Hinamaru Havoc II
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2013, 01:28:26 AM »
I've just seen this thread. I LOVE that quad-prop powered SR-71, it's a total hoot, superb work. :)

Where did that uber-long canopy come from?

Thanks Camthalion and PR!  :) Its a 1/48 Dinah front windscreen with a modified 1/48 F-14 Revellogram Canopy  8)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2013, 03:16:03 AM »
Having a built-in 1/48 scale filter I'd never have figured those out, a nice bit of scale mixing.  :)
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2014, 04:19:02 AM »

Some stuff brought back from a visit home.  :-\  Godzilla cat there for scale

-David Fincher

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2014, 05:59:31 AM »
Japanese Lightning ? was it a 2-seater with radials ?? :D

Saw somewhere a P-38?? with a Dinah cockpit grafted on.

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2014, 09:00:15 AM »
Japanese Lightning ? was it a 2-seater with radials ?? :D

Saw somewhere a P-38?? with a Dinah cockpit grafted on.

You remember that? Well the good news is I brought that one back too, and I am taking a look at finishing it. I have had to try and figure out where I was when I left off and what to do next!!  :-\

I grabbed this one too and hope to do complete soon. Its going to be in a Modeller's alliance GB (shelf queen II) hence the phone in the picture.
I got this idea from the late Chris, AKA PanzerWulff I PMed him about it and asked to use his idea way back in 2010:

I used the Tamiya "Birdcage" corsair in 1/48 for mine,the japanese didn't have a way to do bubble type canopies so the framed canopy looks more the part.the other major appearance change was adding a spinner for the prop it changes the lines of the corsair's nose and make it feel different than the unspinnered prop.Other than that I built the kit oob and painted it in IJN colors.It's cool that my "Kaizoku"(japanese for Pirate) inspired you to do one I can't wait to see it
Chris

his original thread is here:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,11392.0/highlight,panzerwulff+corsair.html

hoping to finish this one as a tribute to him even though he is not here to see it. 

Here is the P-38/Dinah I'm entering it too:

Cool picture I found:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:10:06 AM by taiidantomcat »

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2014, 11:06:28 PM »
That was one of my favorite Panzerwulf builds and I think it's great your paying him homage like this, Mr Tomcat.

I especially like the scheme in that picture you found and I think that'd be a great way to kick it up a notch!

Watching with great interest,
Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2014, 09:25:06 AM »

Scheme based on this Ki-84 by Steve Hustad who does marvelous 1/72 scale Japanese fighters. Look at that!! ^

So this is kind of a weird one, because its one where I am actually "working backwards" painting everything and then going after the cockpit! Unfortunately this is just not going to be a contest winner, Its being built from spare parts from a 1/48 scale zero, (remember this is a 1/72 scale corsair!) I don't have any proper landing gear, and I am just happy to make it a solid 3 foot model/weekend project. I plan on going with an even better rendition of Chris's Corsair in 1/48 in the future where I can do it up right from the start. Its kind of disappointing but its going to look better finished on a shelf than languishing boxed in a basement.

Weekend project goes on! I picked a pretty solid color but it stayed tacky for 72 hours, so the Monday deadline was blown on step one

Masked off the anti-glare. Like all good masking there is a 60 second to 1 second ratio of masking to painting. This took about 5 minutes to mask and 5 second to paint!

Green prop on! The flat coat should tone it down a tad later on

Slightly blurry pic of the Decals. These fought me like crazy I went through 3 decal sheets and all of them fractured or vaporized. This forced me to have to use larger sized Meatballs on the fuselage than the wings which sucks because they would have been perfect reversed :( They are too small on the wings and too big on the Fuselage! Doh! but it is what it is, I was happy at this point to get anything.  Never has been putting on 10 decals taken me 90 minutes!!

With Canopy fitted for a check to see how it all looks

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »
The new canopy and spinner really do a good job of making it look more Japanese. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »
For a "dodgy" build, it looks pretty good to me! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2014, 02:38:17 AM »
Nice.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2014, 12:31:09 AM »

Using a pencil to "make metal"

Not as much paint chipping as on the Ki-84 that inspired the scheme, but I like it

I was shocked at how user friendly that silver pencil method was!

Brush painted the underside. This was one of those excellent bench sessions where everything worked out exactly as you wanted and it was wonderfully refreshing to be building a model.

The prop fought me a bit on the yellow tips and masking, but its looking very good:

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2014, 02:11:20 AM »
Nicely done.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2014, 03:01:48 AM »
The paint chipping looks just right to me!

I feel your pain about the decals. Sometimes I'm lucky if one in four are passable.

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »
I love your 2 on-going P-38 Lightning... VERY interesting, thanks! :-*

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2014, 04:40:57 AM »

Finished.

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2015, 05:13:41 AM »
I have moved and am starting a new job, along with the rug rat, which continues to exist... I thought it was just a temporary M-F 9-5 gig, but apparently its much longer hours, like 24/7/365 for 18 years. 7 months down at least. SWMBO says I can teach him to drink and curse someday as a reward, but boy does 10 years seem like a long way away. With life getting so crazy I can't even set up my bench, I'm still trying to unpack and organize and I have a ways to go (maybe months) before I am settled in. But I am dying to do SOMETHING! So I found my old Japanese P-38, and I am going to rescribe it, and get it refurbished. No idea how far I will take it exactly, and what I will alter but it should help get the ball rolling. In the meantime I am also going to try and sketch and even give some pixels a shot to keep the creative, sleep deprived juices flowing.

"Before" shots

Engine. I am going to drill a new hole so the new props will be centered to make it look more like a radial

these are the implements of desctruction, bagged so I can move to a fresh flat surface and get something done an hour at a time before packing things away.

Some Flags I downloaded and then altered in Paint. Its basic, but its something I was thinking they could be IJA unit flags, for infantry or armored divisions:

pretty simple to do just took what others had done and added a spot.

In other news, I have unpacked my japanese military books and had forgotten just how many I had, and how many are extremely in depth so there is a lot of ideas to find. I also checked my computer and through a lot of right click saving and other DLing have over 7,000 japanese pictures over the years including whifs  :)

-David Fincher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »
 :-* Weird Japanese P-38... Is this a Lightning with radial engines? Will there be huge spinners with no frontal air-intake? (to justify the rear coolers on the booms) I know some rare radials were liquid-cooled, is that the explanation? or artistic fantasy? ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2015, 02:39:05 AM »
I thought it was just a temporary M-F 9-5 gig, but apparently its much longer hours, like 24/7/365 for 18 years.

Good to hear life is going well albeit busy.  If you didn't know the above beforehand...well.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »
I thought it was just a temporary M-F 9-5 gig, but apparently its much longer hours, like 24/7/365 for 18 years.

Good to hear life is going well albeit busy.  If you didn't know the above beforehand...well.

That can change in a heartbeat. Make hay while the sun shines!

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2017, 01:56:45 AM »

Blast from the past that will be stripped down and given new life here soon hopefully  ;)

I'm also looking into a few simple projects I can do that will demonstrate some concepts I have been curious about for a while

-David Fincher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »
Yeh! Yeh! Given the news in the F-15ski thread, it ain't gunna happen! ;)

You think one's a handful! Ha! ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2017, 03:19:43 PM »
WOW taiidantomcat!
I love all of your creations, they are amazing...

Unfortunately there are so many pics that dio not appear any more in the first half of this thread...

It would be great if you could share them with us again!

Ciao!

Antonio