Author Topic: 1/35 BR-52 - Germany's WW2 Workhorse  (Read 58243 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
Re: 1/35 BR-52 - Germany's WW2 Workhorse
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
greetings everyone

Well, after a few days solid of masking, painting, waiting for paint to dry, masking, painting and then the same process over again one more time, the first coat of paint is on and now you can see the scheme I had in mind.

I know some will not like it and that's fine - it won't suit everyone, but I personally really like it :)

There are a fair few fix ups to take care of but that'll happen soon enough. I also need to reattach bits that came off during the masking process.

Bear in mind, this is not weathered - it's just the base coats. I'll weather it accordingly once it's all together.

I also need to finish off painting the steam cylinders and I should do that tonight.

Anyway, enough talking, here's the pics:

As you can see, the end of the line (pun intended :P ) is not too far away - but yet far enough to keep me busy for a while yet.

Any and all input is always greatly received.

Till next time

MH
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2014, 12:25:23 AM »
Just wonderful!

The cabin inside is probably the most realistic I have ever seen!!! :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2014, 01:24:20 AM »
This is looking great. How did you do the darkened camo edges? Did you preshade the edges on the camo pattern before applying the color? The other pre-shading looks very good.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2014, 05:03:42 AM »
thanks guys - greatly appreciated
Frank, generally, I try not to use pre-shading much these days but go for post shading using lighter and darker shades of the base color - especially for weather effects llike rain streaks, grime build up and shadows etc. However, the edges on the camo pattern were preshaded this time if only to try and give the pattern some kind of depth. An attempt to make the splinters more effective in their use. The jury is still out on whether or not I achieved that, but I personally am happy with the results so far

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2014, 10:01:42 AM »
I really like that camo, especially how it's shaded around the edges.

The details in this project are absolutely mind boggling.

Brian da Basher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2014, 07:57:49 PM »
Thanks Brian  :-[

Well, I've made a solid start on the chassis ready to put the wheels and so forth on. Most of this weathering won't be seen and will be dulled down a bit before the final flat coat goes on.

I've been looking at pictures of engines and I've done what I've seen on a few operational engines - although some I really don't know how they kept on going as they were in such disrepair.

I've gone for a well used and hard worked engine that's been sitting out for a while. At least, I hope that's what I'll get..

Pics of where I am up to:

Most of the weathering will be blended in with a coat of track dirt and won't be seen (hopefully)

Tell me what you think. Don't be shy. If it's very wrong now  is the time to fix it :)

MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2014, 05:41:57 AM »
More Wow !

When does the Madhatter Masterclass on Train building book come out ?

Inspiring work and really looking forward to seeing it sometime.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
LOL - no book yet sorry Brian - and even if I did, I think it would end up being a comic book rather than serious print :)

Well, another post to add to the last one - I was too tired last night to take these

After looking at a fair few images of this area, I have decided to take the harder option and challenge myself with a rust job - a realistic one. Of course, my skills aren't quite there yet, but I enjoyed the challenge and think it came out looking like it should - well, to my eyes anyways :)

Well, that's it for this week most likely - unless I get some serious work done tonight - which at this point seems unlikely.

Please do feel free to offer constructive critique - I'll never learn to get any better if no one shares their views.

Thanks again

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
well, it;s a small update this week. I haven't had a lot of time to do anything but arrange and execute my child's birthday party. Fortunately, it went well and I still have my sanity.

As for the build -well, as I said - not a lot of movement - but I have finished the base painting and underside weathering. The frame still needs a touch up here and there to dull out the over rusted areas

Tonight, I will mate the boiler tot he chassis - so we'll see how that goes.

Here's where I am up to currently:

In that last picture, you can see where I have lightly rusted it, but I will dull that down some and around the axle surrounds etc on the chassis - clearly evident in the second to last picture.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll be back again later

Till then

MH

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2014, 02:50:00 AM »
Sure looks like you're well on the (rail) road towards another prize-winner!

I can't find enough superlatives to express my wonder at your paintwork & details.

Brian da Basher

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2014, 06:39:38 AM »
to paraphrase a Cricketing icon

Just marvellous that.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2014, 06:38:11 PM »
thanks guys - I'm sorry I'm a bit late.

Well, today, I visited a hobby shop today to buy some hard tipped and pointed cotton buds and I ended up walking out with the AFV Club 1/35 2cm Flakvierling 38 - four barreled flack gun. It's perfect to go on the back of the tender and just what I was looking for - without actually knowing it...!  ;)

I must say - it's a beautiful kit. You get turned metal barrels and some PE. Fully articulating/rotating barrel array folding side panels. It's awesome.!

I just need to get some figures for it. But that can wait..I can't paint figures to save myself, but I'll give it a go anyway. Might look a bit barren without them

In the mean time, I'm trying to put these bloody pipes on and they are giving me grief.   C:-)  I need another beer...

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »
Well, whilst the following is a small update in terms of photos, the work involved is a different story.

'll start with the walking boards that run the length of the boiler. It's all PE and it's been a PITA getting it to go together. Mind you - I am a novice when it comes to working with PE, so I think I can be forgiven for the profanities that came out during the build process.

I primed it Tamiya White, then a spray of Semi-gloss black, then Alclad Aluminum, then some spots of Durilium then some pale burned metal and then lastly some spots and lines of gun metal to make it look like it had just been banged together and weld-burn marks are evident. It's been semi-gloss coated to protect it and I am about to go into the shed to give it another black coat and then I'll wear it down so it'll look bette3r than just straight silver underneath.

Then I spent the large portion of Sunday night, Monday day sorting out those friggin awful vinyl sand pipes. Again, it was a case of Primer, paint, clear coat then paint. I kinda wasted my time really doing the metallic underneath because these pipes didn't get knocked around at all but they did catch a lot of crud in behind etc - so that'll be something to weather later.

Getting them to stick to the actual engine was surprisingly easy using good ol' super glue. I've read some horror stories about that part and it was something I was dreading - but I needn't have worried. I'll add the taps at the end of the build - along with a few other trinkety things that will easily break. All sub assemblies are now being put together and painted separately

And at long last - the wheels are on and it really does look like an engine now! Yay!

Quite the maze of pipes and so on in that last shot. Since taking these pics, I have added the cabin doors and the back of the cab. All the tape etc has been removed and it looks good! I am so happy with how this engine has come out so far Its a personal best for me. Hopefully, the K5 will come out just as good - although not as weathered as they weren't very dirty.

I reckon I am not very far away from the end. I still have the flak gun to build yet - but that'll come soon enough

Thanks for stopping in and looking. As always, please - if you have any constructive feed back - please drop a line
MH

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2014, 11:16:27 PM »
This looks beautiful! I like the worn and shiny wheel edges. How did you make them? Is that just plain aluminum/steel or did you use graphite on them?

I'd ask my wife to show me how to knit, but that's an equally exacting hobby. Maybe I'll just pick up crayons and coloring books...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2014, 02:18:58 AM »

I'd ask my wife to show me how to knit, but that's an equally exacting hobby.

One can get books to study…

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2014, 07:11:01 AM »
Just great work.

This is really coming together

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2014, 07:19:06 AM »
Nailed it!!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2014, 07:42:58 AM »
The only thing missing is the hiss of the steam and clouds of smoke from the stack at this point.  Really nice level of detail you have added to this locomotive. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »
hahahahaha - nice book!

Frank - the wheels were shot with Alaclad Airframe Aluminium and then once dried - masked with Tamiya tape. When you pull the tape off, it produces a worn but still shiny effect that works well. It's the only time when - if you mask un-clear coated Alclad - the effect is what you want.

Thansk you to all who have posted your comments - it makes the pain and effort of using photophucket all the more tolerable :)

Actually - Jeffry - I am planning on adding exactly that - steam and smoke once the engine is on it's diorama base. I have a planned dio for it - it will be towing the big K5 Rail gun behind it and I have a 32nd scale Tamiya Spitfire ready to build - so I intend on having a forced perspective dio where the Spit is attacking the train - including alternating flashing SMD's/fiber optics coming from the gun muzzels and then on the ground - have divets in the ground including little puffs of cotton wool to represent smoke tracking the bullets - and even thinking of having LED's inside the wool running on a chaser unit so it chases up the line of hits. The finer points will be worked out later - I havent even built the rail gin yet and certainly dont have the room for it yet - it would work out to be about 2 meters long

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »
Thansk you to all who have posted your comments - it makes the pain and effort of using photophucket all the more tolerable :)

Psst - use this: http://imgur.com/

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »
Awed! :icon_surprised:

Stunned! :-X

Shocked! :o

Mesmerised! :-\

Somewhat jealous! :icon_punal:

Simply brilliant, Madhatter. I'm not worthy! :icon_alabanza:

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2014, 03:18:10 PM »
OMG is toooooooooo fine a build  :o
Aint words to express my admiration :icon_surprised:
Feel like Old Wombat does.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous piece of work!!  This is just the start?  Damn, that finished diorama is going to really be impressive.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
Thank you very much for the kind words guys, it's very much appreciated
The doo won't take place any time soon. I just don't have the shelf space for such a huge endeavour yet. I'll still be building the K5 next, so I'll do a WIP if anyone is interested.
After that I may build either another 2199 ship, or maybe even the BV222 which I picked up recently for dirt cheap. Or maybe a Tamiya Spitfire, or BSG Pegasus or SU27 or ......  ;D

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »
After that I may build either another 2199 ship, or maybe even the BV222 which I picked up recently for dirt cheap. Or maybe a Tamiya Spitfire, or BSG Pegasus or SU27 or ......  ;D

;D ;D  Yes too much choice in the stash.
Pretty much guaranteed that whatever you do, your followers will come along for the ride.

Get back on the Galactica perhaps ?