Author Topic: Pimp My Gun and Pimp My AirSoft  (Read 62415 times)

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
Re: Pimp My Gun and Pimp My AirSoft
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2012, 03:50:26 PM »
Compared to that photo, it looks perfectly in scale.  Other pics I'd seen of the XM8/M320 combo made it look a shade smaller (& I mean a shade) but they were art of the weapon rather than photos.  With that, your profile looks perfect against the photo & given the photo is 'real', I concur.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 06:11:00 AM »
The XM8's choice of muzzle-brakes/flash-hiders kinda puzzles me, too.

Both M16A2-style and G36-style ones exist, and I am confused as to which one the definitive infantry/grenadier carbine was to use.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 08:01:32 AM »
G'day Donny,

From what I've seen, the 'carbine' variants have the G36 type flash suppressor, whilst the AR, LMG and Sharpshooters have an M16 type cage.  The only art I have for the grenadier variant is attached to a carbine with the former flash suppressor.

As for 'definitive', since the weapon was never fielded, one could surmise that either would be appropriate

Here's some more from me:

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 08:36:51 AM »
This photo depicts a carbine without grenade launcher.

Anyway.  I guess I can consider the XM8 Grenadier completed.  Whew~  8)

Running low on ideas...... couple of minor alterations of what I did in the past now......

===============================================

See here.

I remember someone other than Z-M doing a side-folding AR in 5.56 x 45 mm...... but I can't remember who.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:39:06 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »
Once again, real pic vs art seems to suggest that the M16 flash hider was the preferred device.  Either way, we'll never know given the weapon won't be fielded.

The only problem with an M16 based receiver is the buffer tube, which precludes any sort of collapsible stock beyond the types we've seen available (eg: Std, Crane, LMT, etc).  A side folder can't work because of the tube.

Whilst 5.56mm NATO carbines have been built with side-folders and other types of stocks, they won't have that receiver design.  Your two pics highlight this rather nicely.  The upper 'CAR-15' type stock shows the buffer tube quite correctly in position with the stock collapsing onto it, whilst the lower pic with the side-fold stock neglects to remember the tube or suggests a Z-M style gas system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-M_Weapons_LR_300

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2012, 04:47:53 AM »
Some more for me:

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2012, 08:23:48 AM »
The upper 'CAR-15' type stock shows the buffer tube quite correctly in position with the stock collapsing onto it, whilst the lower pic with the side-fold stock neglects to remember the tube or suggests a Z-M style gas system.

That "other" side-folder, IIRC, preserved most of the original AR's "look".  Granted, it's ancient memories now, and this impression can all be memories playing tricks on me.

Anyway...

... going the Z-M way somewhat after all...... the problem I was having is that I want to preserve the look of the M4/CQBR's front sight post- it's to me in majority of the cases too iconic to get rid of (and I want to stay close to the source of inspiration, too), so I made the rear sight a permanent fixture as well.  :D

Further comments would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:28:23 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2012, 03:47:30 AM »

This one has its upper receiver modelled after one with side-mounted charging handle.  I couldn't find any photo of any example that has a forward assist though...... maybe the product line just doesn't have one.  :dizzy:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:41:25 PM by dy031101 »

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2012, 06:02:07 AM »
Nifty stuff Donny.  I had to have a giggle about the comments regarding the GP-25/M-4 combo though.  It's art of an anime type figure and one responder is asking why the combo?  Obviously not a whiffer!

Anyhoo, here's some more of mine:

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2012, 07:34:39 AM »
Something old, something new, nothing borrowed and it sure looks cool...

Decided to see what I could do with the good old Thompson M1A1 sub-machine gun with the following additions and modifications:

Heavy barrel
Front sight
Quick point rear sight
Quick-Detach sound suppressor
Handguard with front grip and flashlight
Picatinny Rail on the top of the receiver to allow other accessories to be mounted 

It looks quite menacing and will surely be a show stopper in any fire fight or attempted burglary 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2012, 07:37:07 AM »
I think if it had a folding stock of some description or perhaps a skeleton stock, one would think it to be some new design rather than a Thompson.  Great work Jeff.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2012, 07:42:39 AM »
I was toying with the idea of a folding stock but was not satisfied with the selection or types that were available.   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline dy031101

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »
Different gun and different accessory, but I'm thinking of this when doing the following picture:

I wonder if LWRC M6A4 can take aftermarket RIS......
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:58:27 AM by dy031101 »

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »
^ What's that behind the bi-pod? Some kind of fore-grip? Looks odd.

I was toying with the idea of a folding stock but was not satisfied with the selection or types that were available.

Don't know whether PMG has it, but how about the "MP 5 foldable visor helmet stock" by Brügger & Thomet? It's specifically designed to facilitate weapon aiming by an operator equipped with a helmet with big visor (as often used by SWAT teams).
In case of the Thompson, it'd look suitably modern, but still retain the Thompson's peculiar look of the "low-slung" stock.

Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline dy031101

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »

The so-called angled fore grip.

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2012, 09:18:22 PM »

Moritz, it's a Magpul AFG (Angled Fore Grip).  See here: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG411/117

I actually think they're a bit odd as one can grip the forestock on most longarms without recourse to another grip and the shooting position seems even moreso off to my mind.  Magpul's explanation is a 'Theory Based' product rather than a modification of an existing one, but I'd suggest that would lead to major issues in training in the first instance let alone retraining for experienced shooters.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2012, 02:05:16 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up, chaps!
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline Scooterman

• Professional A-4 Stalker...and stealer of Rule 3.
  • Even his underwear is embroided with Skyhawks...
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2012, 02:06:58 AM »
Something to keep the birds off the fence......................at 1400 meters!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2012, 02:28:50 AM »

Don't know whether PMG has it, but how about the "MP 5 foldable visor helmet stock" by Brügger & Thomet? It's specifically designed to facilitate weapon aiming by an operator equipped with a helmet with big visor (as often used by SWAT teams).
In case of the Thompson, it'd look suitably modern, but still retain the Thompson's peculiar look of the "low-slung" stock.

That folding stocks looks like it might work for the modified Thompson. 

In that second image I notice the 'operator' is packing a large frame revolver on his hip with a flashlight attachment affixed to the butt of the weapon.  Any idea if this is a .357 Magnum or something larger like a .44 Magnum?  Looks like a stainless steel or alloy frame since it is lighter color than the surrounding holster and certainly not blued steel. 

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2012, 03:20:55 AM »
The guy is a member of the MEK (Mobiles Einsatzkommando) Hamburg, the SWAT unit of Hamburg's Polizei. They use Smith & Wesson K-Frame .357 Magnum revolvers. One source says models 13/65, another says models 19/66. 
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2012, 05:13:05 AM »
The guy is a member of the MEK (Mobiles Einsatzkommando) Hamburg, the SWAT unit of Hamburg's Polizei. They use Smith & Wesson K-Frame .357 Magnum revolvers. One source says models 13/65, another says models 19/66.

Can not see the rear sight on the weapon so it is a tough call.  It could be either frame type (Model 19/66 or Model 13/65). 

Wikipedia - Smith and Wesson Model 19/66
Wikipedia - Smith and Wesson Model 13/65

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2012, 05:53:10 AM »
Morning Gang,

Here's the last of my PMG thus far:

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline dy031101

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2012, 06:24:40 AM »

Alright folks, I'm out of readily-floating-in-my-head inspirations now.  :D

But by all means keep yours coming.  8)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:11:46 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2012, 03:20:24 AM »
I realized that I haven't butchered the SR25......

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:35:49 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2012, 02:01:15 AM »
Some variations of the SPR (or my best imitations thereof):

Mod 0

Mod 1

With my usual fascination for heavy stocks on marksmen's rifles......  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:38:16 PM by dy031101 »