Author Topic: Coops213's profiles  (Read 62675 times)

Offline coops213

• The next Über Engineer...
  • Needs a better tag line...
Re: Coops213's profiles
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »
A couple more, Israeli Air Force:

Angolan Air Force:

Chris

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
Wicked!
 :D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »
Nice schemes Chris.

Two minor concerns regarding the Israeli machine:

Was the GR.3 operational in 1973?  I think it was the late 70s when it came onboard.

The colour scheme looks like the later, lighter 3 tone used by the Israelis for their F-16s rather than the darker used on their earlier aircraft like the F-4.  Once again, whether they were using that scheme in the early 70s is debatable.

All said though, nicely done.  Particularly like the weathering on the Angolan machine.

Rgards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline coops213

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »
Nice schemes Chris.

Two minor concerns regarding the Israeli machine:

Was the GR.3 operational in 1973?  I think it was the late 70s when it came onboard.

The colour scheme looks like the later, lighter 3 tone used by the Israelis for their F-16s rather than the darker used on their earlier aircraft like the F-4.  Once again, whether they were using that scheme in the early 70s is debatable.

All said though, nicely done.  Particularly like the weathering on the Angolan machine.

Rgards,

John

Yeah, probably sneaking the GR3 into service a little early. The earliest pictures I can find are 1977.

Regarding the scheme, I was pretty sure the colours changed at some point. However the only references I could find (Don Colour, IPMS Stockholm, Hasegawa instructions) all call out the same colours. These were Brown FS30219, Tan FS3531 and Green FS34227 fo all different types (F-4s, A-4s and Mirages). I then grabbed the RGB values for these colours from Simmers. Do you know what colours were used in the earlier scheme? I'd like to revise the profile, I think it'd look better with the darker colours.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 02:19:50 PM »
Just look at the closest to real-color photos you can find and RGB or eyeball it.  Places like Simmers and that are wrong as often as they are right.  I use them as a basis, but rarely trust them completely.

Thanks,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »
Maybe the GR.3 was introduced as a result of Israeli requests - similar to the Mirage 5.

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2012, 04:17:19 PM »
Chris, from my references:

Early 3 tone: FS30219, FS33531, 34227 over 35622

Late 3 tone: FS30219, FS33531, 34424 over 36375

Source: Israeli Air Force - 1967-2001 (SAM Colours & Markings Vol 4)

HTH,

John
Regards,

John

Offline Gekko1

• He makes his own decals...seriously!!!
    • Studio Gekko
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 12:54:09 AM »
Very nice Harriers!

Cheers

Richard.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2012, 06:48:33 AM »
All lovely but that RAAF Sea Harrier is truly gorgeous!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Wulf

• Does a lot of real world stuff..the deviant!!!
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »
too many great ideas there  ;D

beutiful work  8)
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »
Luvverly stuff!  :-*

I've thought about building a Spanish AV-8A and painting it in Ejército del Aire (instead of Armada) colours. Colour scheme like their "ground attack" Mirage F.1s (CLICK!), but in a rather faded version (where the sand looks kinda yellow-ish), as often seen on their F.1s.

West German Harriers wouldn't look too bad either, not just for the Marine. Say, the VAK 191 B was cancelled, but there was still a requirement for a VSTOL fighter-bomber.

The Swedes were also keen on being able to disperse their fighters throughout the country.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:56:45 AM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »
All this got me thinking of this idea of Thai AV-8S, if you are interested in doing a GR.1/AV-8A/AV-8C variation...... kind of not what-if (because after all Thai did operate the Harriers in real-life) but kind of is what-if (because the fleet was never that operational in Thai service).

Basically, what would have been the best air defense loadout (not limited to what the Thai actually bought in real-life) that a radarless AV-1S could carry?   Since the carrier aircraft would lack a fire control radar, it'd rule out everything that requires mid-course or terminal targetting-update/guidance, leaving just WVRAAMs.  ASRAAM is designed for a relatively-longer effective range and faster approach speed, but Wikipedia entry suggests that IRIS-T (which Thai did purchase in real-life as part of their Gripen deal) can shoot even further (~25km, compared to ASRAAM's 18km?).

Then came the question as to whether any or all of the advanced WVRAAM would need to be slaved to a fire control radar to exploit their maximum effective ranges...... without a fire control radar, would all of them (ASRAAM, IRIS-T, AIM-9X, and Python-5) be more or less on an equal footing?
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 10:33:21 AM »
Just a couple thoughts, a Harrier GR.3A with the Av-8C's LIDS added to the GR.3 and a Sea Harrier FRS.1A with similar modification.  I could see the first in RAuxAF markings and possibly the second in markings of a similar FAA squadron.

DY031101, how about the Thai's getting a bunch of Harrier GR.3 nose sections and replacing the LRMTS unit with a FLIR/IRST unit?  Not quite a radar, but still capable of cueing the WVRAAM toward a target.

Offline coops213

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 05:07:30 PM »
All great ideas guys, thanks. Moritz, I was just thinking about doing a Spanish F.1 style Harrier!

I think I'll give the AV-8A/C a shot, essentially it's just trimming down the nose further and removing the RWR. Right?

I've also been psyching myself up to modify my FRS.1 profile into an FA.2. It's probably a less drastic change than FRS.1 to GR.3. Anyway, that'll open up some new profile possibilities.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 12:23:36 AM »
Yay! Spanish harrier!  8)

<...>I think I'll give the AV-8A/C a shot, essentially it's just trimming down the nose further and removing the RWR. Right? <...>

At least that's what Esci has for different parts for AV-8A and GR.3. That and a long blade aerial on the spine for the USMC version and a shorter, chopped aerial for the Spanish Harriers.
I like the AV-8A/GR.1 because the short nose gives them even more of a hawk-ish look. Coupled with the tucked-in cockpit, high back and down-turned wings, they kinda resemble birds of prey.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2012, 01:41:24 AM »
DY031101, how about the Thai's getting a bunch of Harrier GR.3 nose sections and replacing the LRMTS unit with a FLIR/IRST unit?  Not quite a radar, but still capable of cueing the WVRAAM toward a target.

Didn't think of that...... I suppose that's one way one way to do it (I placed missile range as the prime consideration).

Oh now I have an idea inspired by Coops213's other R-60-armed Harrier- Kopyo pod on the centreline station of some export AV-8A and/or GR.3?  >:D

I've also been psyching myself up to modify my FRS.1 profile into an FA.2. It's probably a less drastic change than FRS.1 to GR.3. Anyway, that'll open up some new profile possibilities.

If you do it, I'll officially place my ROCN request on the table.  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:44:13 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2012, 02:22:02 AM »
Kopyo pod on the centreline station of some export AV-8A and/or GR.3?

I like your thinking!

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »
Should you decide to do AV-8A's/Matadors/Harrier GR.1's, how about a Finnish example with Soviet weaponry or an Argentinian "Matador" based in the Malvinas and armed with Sidewinders on the outboard hardpoints, "Martin Kingfisher" ASMs on the inner hardpoints, and the guidance pod for the ASMs on the centerline hardpoint.  I've got both of these on my "to do" list.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
dy03101, there's also the "Maritime Harrier" radar nose that was trialed on a DB Harrier GR.1 (one of the first ones, with six blow-in doors instead of eight) before they decided to go with the more extensive redesign as the Sea Harrier FRS.1.  I've always thought it'd look good on a 1st generation Harrier trainer for Sea Harrier operators rather than the mixed training of Hunter T.8M's and Harrier T.4N's.

Offline coops213

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »
Should you decide to do AV-8A's/Matadors/Harrier GR.1's, how about a Finnish example with Soviet weaponry or an Argentinian "Matador" based in the Malvinas and armed with Sidewinders on the outboard hardpoints, "Martin Kingfisher" ASMs on the inner hardpoints, and the guidance pod for the ASMs on the centerline hardpoint.  I've got both of these on my "to do" list.

Great ideas! I particularly like the Malvinas based harrier. Do you have any reference pics of the Kingfisher ASM?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
I think Evan is referring to the Martin Pescador missile.

Offline coops213

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2012, 07:15:07 PM »
I think Evan is referring to the Martin Pescador missile.

Ah thanks. There doesn't seem to be much out there about them.

I've redone my Israeli GR.3 with new colours. There's more contrast between the green and brown which helps them stand out a bit more. I also gave it more time period appropriate weapons.

Another IDF Harrier, in modern colours:

And an Indian GR.3, toting Sea Eagle missiles:

Chris

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
Nice stuff Chris.  The Matras on the Indian bird are a nice touch.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2012, 02:11:54 AM »
The Indian GR.3 is great - it is one of those things that you may even pass of as real at a chance. 

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2012, 02:18:23 AM »
Chris, your latest trio of harriers are real knockouts.  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.