Author Topic: Belgian Vickers Wellesley  (Read 1913 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Belgian Vickers Wellesley
« on: April 23, 2020, 04:27:47 AM »

In the summer of 1939 the Belgian government was concerned that it's military air component was lacking in heavy bombers, but few were available. Britain offered some Vickers Wellesley aircraft, and six were taken on strength before the outbreak of war. When it became obvious that even more modern designs such as the Fairey Battle were unable to compete with German aircraft, they were taken from front-line units and used in the training role. The 3rd Air Regiment operated all of the aircraft, and painted their engine cowlings in a colourful red to offset the drab camouflage colours. As the country was overwhelmed they returned to Britain to serve out the rest of the war in various roles.

This is the Matchbox model, built straight out of the box. National markings came from the Airfix Fairey Battle.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Belgian Vickers Wellesley
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 05:11:02 AM »
@The Rat - Now I am thinking you had a missed opportunity to adapt those panniers to hold a battery of machine guns or cannons to give your Wellesley a strafing option. 
Looking good! :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 05:39:43 AM »
That looks good! I can just picture Jeff's idea... with a poor sap squeezed into each pannier so they could load the cannons...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 06:31:06 AM »
@Frank3K- LoL, had not considered a gun servant' when I posed that idea.  That would be a very cruel and unusual experience for anyone tasked to perform that job. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 08:10:55 AM »
That looks good! I can just picture Jeff's idea... with a poor sap squeezed into each pannier so they could load the cannons...

;D ;D ;D
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 08:58:19 AM »
@Frank3K- LoL, had not considered a gun servant' when I posed that idea.  That would be a very cruel and unusual experience for anyone tasked to perform that job.

It would depend on where the plane is based. In a Flemish area, well of course the gun servant would have to be French! and vice versa.

Offline Spey Phantom

• 1/144 addict
  • the modeler formerly known as Nils.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 03:50:09 PM »
terrific build  :smiley:
on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:
-various 1/72 TinTin aircraft
-1/72 Eurocopter Tiger (Belgian Army)
-various other 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 03:15:27 AM »
Very nice.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.