Author Topic: Republic XFW-1 Seabolt  (Read 4773 times)

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Republic XFW-1 Seabolt
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:25:38 PM »
The Seabolt was an experimental multi-role aircraft tested by the Navy in late 1947. The Navy was interested in aircraft that could perform a wide variety of missions with minimal reconfiguration. The USAAF P-47N won some grudging admiration from naval planners as a rugged aircraft that had great range and speed, and could be versatile in mission requirements. The obvious modification was the V-tail assembly in a weight saving (range increasing) feature, and secondly, the engine combination came from the P-47J, which allowed speeds up to 475 mph.

Contra rotating props, a commonly tried application during this time period were also utilized, and were effective at eliminating torque roll on takeoff. Other less noticeable changes included an enlarged bubble canopy, which allowed the pilot to raise his seat for better visibility during carrier landings. The aircraft as pictured had its gun armament removed and was tested in the photo recon role. Even though testing was favorable, the Navy felt that the new Skyraider and follow on Skyshark programs would be sufficient to fulfill this need, and was therefore not adopted.  The airframe remained after testing at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station until it was scrapped in 1954.

This is the ancient Revell kit, with some Airfix and VEB items ground into it  ::)  It was thrown together quickly, and it shows.  Running for cover now in a serpentine fashion :o

Hope you all have a great day
Kem

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: Republic XFW-1 Seabolt
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:12:54 PM »
Very Nice. Are the props from one of the VEB 1/100 kits?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 07:02:15 AM »
 :-* Great addition to the P-47 family!

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 07:45:32 AM »
Cool take on the Sea-Bolt theme, nice work  :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 08:33:42 AM »
Other than a late 1950s Air Progress magazine article have not seen any references to it.
Would read A.P. in model room waiting for glue and paint to dry.  Was in basement corner without ventilation.  Glue & paint odors gave great model building atmosphere to room.
Congrats on your research and bashing skills to finally provide a styrene example of the forgotten XFW-1 Seabolt  :)

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 12:02:30 PM »
That looks neat.  Nice work

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 04:06:13 AM »
The V tail and new engine are genius modifications!

Love the way it looks in that dark blue on which those red-striped U.S. markings stand out nicely!

Brian da Basher

Offline b29r

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 10:58:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments, you are a nice group of folks here  :-*  Forgot to mention (in case you were wondering) that the tail hook installation is completely flush mounted when retracted  ;)  Also that the deck handlers were not overly fond of that turbo :( 

Big G:  Yes that prop was "borrowed" from the Tu-20, it has been returned  :(

Finsrin:  Modeling atmosphere takes on it's own meaning  :)

The poor little thing was massacre. . . I mean built. . . as a prototype for a 1/32 scale version.  This is provided I can figure out how to do the prop unit  :icon_crap: 

Thanks and keep on building those amazing creations!  BR, Kem

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 11:13:51 PM »
Cool!
I suspect it would benefit from larger tail surfaces. Got any scraps that might fit?

Offline b29r

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 12:57:35 AM »
Well, in my universe, . . . .

Yes, it certainly would with all that power up front.  My scrapbox is pretty deficient on even tailplanes so I just closed my eyes and stuck on the kit ones.  But they would be easy to change out if I did find something bigger and better.  Or what about some card fin fillets Ala late D's?   Plus maybe sand off those cheesegrater rivits, too  ;)  When I attempt this again in 32nd, I certainly will.

Thanks!

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 02:03:49 AM »
Well, in my universe, . . . .
Of course!
(I seem to be prone to offering suggestions whenever any happen to pop into my mind  :o )

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 04:46:29 AM »
WOW

Offline TurboCoupeTurbo

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »
Great work on such a rough kit.  I have something similar in the works.