Author Topic: BSG Pegasus - take 2  (Read 5653 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
BSG Pegasus - take 2
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »
hi guys

This will be the perfect GB to my my arse into gear and get the Moebius Pegasus done.
I had made a brief start to it here: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=5165.0 but never got very far with it

I have ditched the home made hangar bay walls in favour of the PE set from Paragraphix. They are way more accurate a fit than mine were

I've spent most of tonight fixing the hangar bay entrance fibers into place and have even done one of the engines - well, almost done. I still need to fix the main LED into place yet

I shall update again once I have taken some pictures tomorrow
MH
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
Re: BSG Pegasus - take 2
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:42:18 AM »
greetings everyone

Well the Pegasus has been started again - hopefully this time I'll finish it. As always, I had to buy yet more stuff including some 3mm green LED's and the other PE set from Paragraphix. Well, I didn't HAVE to buy the PE set but it seems the logical choice. I'll only be using the inserts for the head and the sides of the hangar pods., The rest will not likely be used

So a few pics of where I am currently up to - which is to say not very far.

First up - the fibers in the hangars. Here they are at certain stages. Only one is actually finished - although it still needs to be painted black to stop light leakage - which is kind of ironic when you consider that in later pictures, that's exactly what I am trying to achieve!

The hangar pod PE above is a little bit bland, so I'll add some external details to it just for interest. I don't really care about screen accuracy here

Next up is the first of the engine tubes. The wiring is a little messy, but it'll be hidden and it functions - so it doesn't really matter if it's pretty or not

Those should look pretty cool under a light layer of paint. At least, I hope so :)I need to find me some Aluminum tape to out over them and then spray the rest of the insides black

Lastly, a quick shot of the fibers at the entrance to the hangar bays - not terribly exciting but I had the battery out so I thought I'd take a shot

Well, that's all I have for now. Hopefully, the next update will be a bit more interesting

Thanks for looking

MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »
YAY !!!!!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »
If there's progress, it's interesting! :)

Lighting ..... Something I'm afraid will sent the missus over the edge, if I start delving into it. :-X
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:23:30 PM »
Looks interesting!

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 11:33:01 PM »
Great detail !!
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 09:10:25 AM »
Hi all

Quick update. I have finally finished off the entrance lights last night and they are currently drying after spraying the insides black to prevent light leakage. It took so long because I had to cut the 0.9mm tubing into small bits, thread the fibers through and secure them to the plastic. Sounds easy, and it is, but it's very time consuming. Such a lot of work just for a few fibers. Anyway, they're done now and I can move onto the next part which is finding a way to install some fibers into the panels on the sides and then the name plate lighting. I'm hoping to install the plate lights today/tonight and then I will look at detailing the inside PE and adding some lights to those then the rest should be pretty easy from here on in.

The biggest challenge I think will be lighting the head section. There are lots of little lights on the inside tranches on the top and I'm not entirely sure on how I will do that. I bought the PE parts for it, but I don't know how I'll get some lights in behind them and have them bright enough but hide the light source at the same time. I could build light boxes but I don't want the LED's facing directly behind them. I may yet resort to fiber optic but that could get very cramped very quickly and may not result in completely straight lines. I shall ponder more

In the meantime, here's a couple of pics to show how my time was used with the entrance lighting.

The arms fit nicely inside with no modification required. I'm glad I went down the route of placing the LED's into different arm cavities rather than mirror each other. There would not have been enough space to accommodate that many LED's

Well, will update again soon

Thanks for looking

MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 10:49:23 AM »
That is first class routing of Fibre Optic and wiring.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
I want to learn to light things someday  :) great work here!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 08:13:13 AM »
Well, another quick update. I spent a while last night installing the name plate lighting and I even got the spot lights done for the bottom plate of the top part of the head. They'll look quite cool once they're all lit together

This is what the underside of the top half of the body is looking like presently. Now all I need to do is tidy up the wiring and join them all up. I'm going to lay down some Al Foil over the tops of the SMD's to disperse and reflect the light more. I'm not concerned about shorting them as the hot glue will protect them and there are no other exposed wires.

I'll build some little hoods to cover the name plate SMD's so the light is more directed rather than being splayed out like that.

Anyways, that's it for now. I'll try and get some more done on this today while the boy is at school and I've done my housework :)

Till next time

thanks for looking

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 11:44:23 AM »
Sorry guys - there's no way I'm getting this done anytime soon. Other things have come in that I am more excited about. I will finish this, but not just yet
Not a good start to my first GB here :)