Author Topic: Flying Tank  (Read 8231 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Flying Tank
« on: October 24, 2013, 02:54:54 AM »
While history has recorded that Italian military actions in Ethiopia were a walk-over, the facts are a bit more complicated. The invading Italians faced many challenges, not least of which was the often inhospitable and impassible terrain. While light forces and horse-cavalry could be moved, heavier units, especially artillery and armor, had a difficult time of it. The Italian Army, the Regio Esercito needed an answer and fast. Fortunately, the Fiat company had a solution: the world's first flying tank.

Il Duce, Benito Mussolini, was ecstatic at this incredible leap in Italian technology. He issued a decree in January, 1936 that would soon become famous.

The new flying tank was just your bog-standard Fiat M9/35 tank with an upgraded turret mounting both a 37 mm gun and a heavy machine gun. However, long wings, a tail and a huge engine & prop were added so this armored nightmare could take to the skies.

The Fiat company undertook strenuous testing of the new wonder weapon under the watchful eyes of officers from both the Italian Army and Air Force (Regia Aeronautica). Often, Il Duce himself would show up to see how his new pet project was getting along.

While the flying tank was getting along just fine, the officers from the Air Force and Army weren't. This would bode ill for the future of Italian armor in the air.

The Army insisted it should get the flying tank because, well, it's a tank. The Air Force, with some justification, argued they should get the flying tank because, well, it flies. Soon this inter-service bickering would reach a fever pitch with severe political ramifications.

It soon became apparent the flying tank would never enter service until this argument was solved. Unfortunately, circular reasoning rarely solves arguments. Fiat's chief flying tank engineer had a nervous breakdown over this and finally Mussolini himself had to issue a decision. Unfortunately, he was asked while suffering from an almost-fatal case of hemorrhoids and wasn't in the best of moods. He said since the services couldn't agree, both would get nothing and cancelled the flying tank.

The Fiat flying tank is mostly forgotten today except for a few old posters trumpeting Mussolini's decree which many think is actually an internet hoax despite overwhelming proof of its legitimacy.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:57:12 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Flying Tank
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 03:10:09 AM »
This all began innocently enough with the wonderful 1/76 Airfix Japanese Type 97 tank kit.

Isn't that box art just stunning? Makes you feel like you're in the thick of the action, doesn't it?

Of course, I can never leave well enough alone. Modifications had to be made. First I swapped out the kit turret for one from an Airfix Grant/Lee tank which fit so well, I could line the new turret up with the hatch on top of the Type 97 hull. Some wings left over from the venerable 1/72 Airfix Lysander were a good fit too. Next, I used old pieces of sprue for tail booms and cut a horiz. stab. out of card. Finally, since I knew this would be Italian, I used the horiz. stabs. from a CR-42 as twin rudders.

I found an old 1/72 Airfix P-40 prop and a nameless radial engine rattling around in the spares box which I tacked on to the end of the engine pod which is part of the belly container from the Lysander. The entire model was painted by hand with acrylics, Poly Scale Italian Green mostly. The decals are from a 1/72 Italeri CR-42.

I hope you enjoyed my flying tank and learning a little bit about the forgotten history of the Italian Armored Corps.

Brian da Basher

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 03:41:22 AM »

beautifully made!

I think I quicly recognized the Lysander wings (maybe because of the recent Floatplane Lysander discussion, and Delanne-related questions)

I guess you know about the existence of the real-world Antonov 40 :

and Japanes Ku-6 :

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 03:59:41 AM »
Outstanding my good fellow.  A flying tank... now that is something I have yet to try!! Great inspirational work  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 05:18:23 AM »
 Dash it all, Brian, stop inspiring me!  ;)

Nicely done, old man...wouldn't it be wonderful if there were a decent kit of the M11/39...

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 07:02:01 AM »
Wow Brian, a second tank! This is starting a trend.
Great job, too - I like the wings and the mix of the Japanese tank with the Grant/Lee turret. They really do look like they belong together.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 08:28:44 AM »
Damned if it doesn't look Italian!!!!  Great stuff, especially like the Lee turret swap, tis a good fit for the Ch-Ha hull.
 :icon_beer: :icon_beer:

Online Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:32:49 AM »
Like that one.

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »
That's freakin' awesome, Brian! Clearly, the Italians had the Soviets beat in flying tank technology although I'm sure some Soviet apologists will dispute this.

Sadly, this story echoes the US Army's Flying Sheridan program of the late 1960s. The whizzing contest between the Army and USAF was so loud and heated that the USMC got a seat on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.... Not really sure how that happened but Johnson was drunk and a relative of mine suggested it to him as a way to solve the Army-Air Force meltdown, so there you go.

Anyway, the program ended soon after when the Army decided to test fire the 152mm gun in flight. Thankfully, this was done by remote control so no one was killed when the tank crashed in Nevada... and California... and Arizona....

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »
Valid as any flying tank concept I seen.  Yes, it does pass as having an Itallian look.
Your warped yet fertile kitbashing mind has done it again  :)

My concept of operation is tanks sit ready on a catapult arm.  Something like Bomarc and Nike launch pads only the launcher includes a catapult.  When tanks are needed in a 200 or so mile radius the prop engine is revved to full power and catapult launches tank.  Flying at ~120mph tanks reach vicinity of battle quickly.  Not slowed by hills, valleys, rivers, etc the tank has arrived.  Fitted with an overdrive gear in transmission, tracks are spun up super fast and tank does a rollout landing.  Once slowed to a stop the wings and propeller engine gas tank combo are detached.  Tank is ready to reinforce local forces.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:12:33 PM by finsrin »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »
... and of course old J. Walter's notion ...

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/flying-tanks-that-shed-their-wings

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 02:19:14 AM »
Wow!  I mean seriously WOW!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 05:32:17 AM »
The more I see this the more I like it. Truly an outstanding build.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 02:47:06 AM »
Dude................. That is an awesome model and story behind the development. ;D
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 11:48:09 AM »
I used old pieces of sprue for tail booms
Wonderfully illustrating the site's title "beyond the sprues", thanks :-*

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 11:47:20 PM »
Ahh, great work mate, wonderful idea, great implement....GAAH!!  What am I saying - where's the SPATS!!!