Author Topic: Tamiya 1/48 Douglas skyraider  (Read 6019 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Tamiya 1/48 Douglas skyraider
« on: August 19, 2017, 02:39:20 AM »
Hi all I don't normally do planes (to be honest I'm rubbish at them) but I remember building the airfix one as a young lad and I remembered it had so many more parts than any other plane I ever built, well I saw it and it bought back happy memories so I bought it, it's been in the stash for a while and since I'm starting to get bored of the ships at the moment and looking in the stash no cars took my fancy I thought while I'm waiting for my pocher 1/4 ducati I would pull this out and have a go. I'm not intending to try and build some great model as i dont have the knowledge or skill with a plane, I am intending to do the Knight Rider 300 version from the kit.
Anyhow here is the kit and my start on it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Tamiya 1/48 Douglas skyraider
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 05:23:11 AM »
A very nice kit overall but the one thing that always bothered me about both versions of the Tamiya AD-6/7 (A-1H/A-1J) were the plug-in attachment features for the large bomb shapes and fuel tanks. 

Good luck with the project!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »
I wish you will have fun like we have... ;)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 02:47:02 AM »
Hi all well I'm still doing it and here is the next update.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 03:35:01 AM »
Hi all done a bit more on this. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with tamiya they only give the option for landing gear down and I wanted it up but the doors are a really bad fit when you cut the unnecessary bits off to have them shut, I've bodged it up as best I can.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 07:52:08 AM »
Looks like a lot of filling/sculpting and scribing ahead of you regarding the gear doors.  Surprised they make it with only a gear down option.  I've always really liked the Skyraider.  Looking forward to more updates.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:53:18 PM »
Hi all well I've developed a bad habit of starting models and not finishing them(I get to a boring bit or a tricky bit, or it's just not going very well (like this one) and I shelve it)

Well I've decided this yr I'm going to try and restart, and who knows maybe even God forbid finish a few.

Well this one not being a subject im very good at got left as soon as the going got even slightly tricky, when I left off (The kit dose not have the option for landing gear up but that was how I wanted it, simple enough I thought) the landing gear doors would not shut properly so I valiantly struggled for about 5 mins then shelved it and gave up.

Well I've started it again and ive done my best with landing gear doors, had a go at doing the panel lines with a pin wash ruined it, stripped the paint off had another go, same result so this time I repainted it and tried my own idea I got some 600 grit and a piece of black pastel which I sanded over the wing I then rubbed it in with my finger, then wiped the mess off with a damp cloth, i am quite pleased with the effect.

I've added some weathering (probably not great as I know little about planes but I'm happy with how it's going)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 02:59:31 AM »
Next update, last one for a fortnight (holiday of a lifetime cruising the Caribbean)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 09:44:20 AM »
Enjoy the holiday, mate! :smiley: :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 11:35:01 PM »
Looking great!  That is one of my favorite kits!

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 01:32:37 AM »
Hi all here is the next update, i was fairly sure I would make a mess of trying to do the exhaust staining with the airbrush so I opted for doing it with a brush, i know it would be better with the ab but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

Offline Lord Voyager

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 02:39:04 AM »
I think this little project of yours is coming along quite nicely!

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 07:34:58 AM »
Looking really good to me! I say stick with it. That area in one of the photos between the landing gear on the underside of the wing looks like it came from an armor kit!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »
I like the color scheme and especially the weathering.

It looks like so many I saw on TV when I was growing up.

It's easy to over-do weathering (and don't get me started on the Verlinden method), especially on a SPAD, but you got it just right!

Brian da Basher

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 05:37:46 AM »
That exhaust staining looks just like the real ones, good job. How was the Caribbean?
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 06:05:06 AM »
Thanks, the Caribbean was amazing

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 03:27:48 AM »
Well got a bit more done on this.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 06:15:46 AM »
Reminds me of cousin building Monogram 1/48 Skyraider back in '60s.
Doing super job on details, panel lines etc.  Specially like treatment of exhaust pipe tips and soot on fuselage.  :smiley:

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 03:52:22 AM »
 Hi all another bit done.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »
kerick:
That area in one of the photos between the landing gear on the underside of the wing looks like it came from an armor kit!

Wikipedia provides a quick explanation of that armour feature on the underside of the Skyraider - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A-1_Skyraider
To allow low-level operations to continue without unacceptable losses, a package of additional armor was fitted, consisting of 0.25–0.5 inches (6.4–12.7 mm) thick external aluminum armor plates fitted to the underside and sides of the aircraft's fuselage. The armor package weighed a total of 618 pounds (280 kg) and had little effect on performance or handling.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:14:49 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 04:01:16 AM »
Hi all well it's done, another stalled build finished, never been good at planes but quite pleased with this, yes lots could be better and I really should do more research on a subject I know so little about.

Well I suppose I can only get better with any I do next (As it happens I've got a flying fortress calling me, I'm thinking of doing it as a cutaway)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 04:02:55 AM »
That sure finished up a treat!

You should build more planes.

More planes is always good.

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
Nice job! :smiley:

Practice makes perfect, they* say, therefore the more aircraft you build the better you'll get at them! ???

(*; which "they" I have no idea, hasn't worked for me, so far, however it does seem to work for others. Maybe I should just stick to one or two types of aircraft? ::))
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
That 5.0"/127mm HVAR load is intimidating.  Nice work!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 02:33:27 PM »
Congrats on conquering landing gear doors.
Captured the "used" look fine.  :smiley: