Author Topic: Bristol Bergen I  (Read 16790 times)

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
Re: Bristol Bergen I
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 01:52:07 AM »
I plan on a float mounting very similar to the Bolingbroke's (though not exactly the same).  I will externally mount the torpedo, thus preserving the bombay for use with regular gravity bombs. 

If a torpedo was mounted semi-recessed, the recesses could also hold bombs instead of retaining the bomb bay, just line them up one behind the other. It would also allow larger bombs to be carried than could fit in the existing bay.

Although I like some of your ideas, I am not creating an "improved" Blenheim, merely a straight adaptation to Norwegian torpedo bomber needs. 
Given that the Bolingbroke on floats didn't go into production and was a Canadian prototype, one could easily surmise that Bristol Aircraft, in England, might have gone with a more unitary float if it went into production.

Form your point of view as the modeller, I was looking for a rational excuse to use a single strut float as it's bound to be easier to build and get even than a canted and wire braced set of floats.  ;)

Thanks for the suggestions - I really appreciate them, even if I don't use them right at the time.

No problem. I got all kinds of ideas that I give away for free. I hardly ever think anyone will use them.  ;D

Looking forward to how this will turn out.

Paul

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 06:34:14 AM »
A single-strut (pylon) float attachment would certainly be easier from a modelling standpoint, and I LOVE the look (ever since I first saw a photo of an N-3PB). But I think the multi-strut arrangement is more in line with my vision for this particular WHIF, and I am looking forward to the challenge.  I think I have figured out how to make it "easy" (relatively speaking) - we'll see if that bears out!  I will post photos and comments as I go.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
Some time ago I bought a couple of packets of this product, it would greatly help you with the struts and such

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/struts-tube-rod-for-the-smaller-biplane-con004-contrail-models-pl4-various-conversions/product/?action=prodinfo&art=5508

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »
Some time ago I bought a couple of packets of this product, it would greatly help you with the struts and such

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/struts-tube-rod-for-the-smaller-biplane-con004-contrail-models-pl4-various-conversions/product/?action=prodinfo&art=5508

I just checked the Contrails online store and this product is nolonger listed/available.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »

I just checked the Contrails online store and this product is nolonger listed/available.

I looked there but I didn't get it from them, I'm sure I got it from Aeroclub who used to produce it. It was acquired by John Adams from the original Contrail Models (note no 's' on the end of Contrail)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:35:32 PM by kitnut617 »

Online The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »

I looked there but I didn't get it from them, I'm sure I got it from Aeroclub who used to produce it. It was acquired by John Adams from the original Contrail Models (note no 's' on the end of Contrail)

Bad grammar on my end Robert. I forgot the apostrophe.  :(

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline Acree

Re: Bristol Bergen - Finished
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
I ran into a few setbacks along the way, but overall I am quite happy with how it turned out.  Enjoy!

Bergen by cacree, on Flickr

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
Nice, very nice indeed!  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
Wow what a stunner! Sure looks great up on floats and those neat Norwegian markings are the cherry on top!

Well done!

Brian da Basher

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 07:56:29 PM »
I ran into a few setbacks along the way, but overall I am quite happy with how it turned out.  Enjoy!
You have reasons to be satisfied,this is an excellent result !
Alex

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2017, 09:04:45 PM »
Got to echo everyone else's comments ---  :) :) :)   that looks terrific!

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »
Bad grammar on my end Robert. I forgot the apostrophe.  :(

No worries Carl, it's actually two different companies. Contrail Models was a vacuform kit outfit way back when (1970 with owner the renown Gordon Sutcliffe), the outfit that calls itself Contrails Models is a newer one. I've dealt with them a couple of times.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:36:34 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 12:26:58 AM »
Great build & the markings are very different! :) :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 03:52:20 AM »
Damn fine work!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Acree

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »
Thanks, all!  I truly appreciate the encouragement!

Online The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 08:13:23 PM »
A wonderful WHIF!!!

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 12:11:45 AM »
Id does look the business, to be sure. The floats all lined up well, too. That must have been tricky.

Offline Acree

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 03:27:14 AM »
Id does look the business, to be sure. The floats all lined up well, too. That must have been tricky.
Properly aligning the floats was one of my biggest concerns.  I built a cardboard jig to hold the plane and the floats in proper alignment.  But I found this to not be a workable solution for two reasons: first, I could not keep the cardboard rigid enough to stay aligned - I really needed to build it out of something more rigid like glued plastic or word or even metal (like an Erector set). Second, Once the parts were in the jig, I could not get my fat hands in there to place the struts. 

So, I in the end, I carefully marked the 16 places where the strut met the airframe or floats and cut strut-shaped holes.  I then put the struts in without glue, and manipulated everything until I got the position I wanted, then added gap-filling CA glue that flowed into the joints.  Once the first float was permanently mounted in this way, I did the same thing with the other float - getting the alignment by a combination of measuring and "eyeballing" them. 

Online The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 04:45:44 AM »
Nothing beats the Mark 1 eyeball for detailed work like this.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 03:54:04 AM »
I do enjoy, very very much! Gorgeous work!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 10:41:42 PM »
Properly aligning the floats was one of my biggest concerns. 
See??? That's why I suggested the mono-strut!   ;D

Really, you did a great job on that tricky task.

Paul

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2017, 06:51:17 AM »

Oh my! I was expecting great things but that is truly lovely  :-*
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »

Oh my! I was expecting great things but that is truly lovely  :-*

One of those 'just right' builds