Author Topic: Tamiya king George v  (Read 18656 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Re: Tamiya king George v
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2018, 03:47:15 AM »
Finally got the pompoms done on this part (get less and less modelling time these days)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2018, 03:30:13 AM »
Hi all teeny tiny bit more done 

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2018, 03:06:36 AM »
Hi all nearing the end now ( I say that hopefully) 

As is now

With all the PE on the decks

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 05:21:05 AM »
Hi all, well apart from the Oerlikons all the deck furniture is done, i think, hope?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2018, 05:53:58 PM »
"Miniscule" is a word that keeps popping into my head when I look at these images, closely followed by "optometrist" & "psychologist". :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2018, 04:00:06 AM »
Bit of a catastrophe on this one missus knocked one of the sub assemblies off the bench, i can't find the pe range finder also can't find the bit the crane is held between on the 2 bits that both broke off to say I'm annoyed is an understatement, i was going to try and finish the Oerlikons this weekend, also some of the pe mast stuff is missing or bent (hopefully I can straighten that out.

Not sure what else is missing I'm hoping anything else won't notice.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2018, 04:26:32 PM »
Oh dear! :o
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2018, 02:16:39 AM »
Maybe use the old nylon over the end of the vacuum cleaner trick to suck up everything on the floor and then sift through it to find the missing PE?

Let's face it., it hasn't disintegrated, it's down there somewhere.

???

Paul

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2019, 02:49:27 AM »
Hi all well I finally got some modelling time and I've fixed what I can and I've now glued the sub assy's to the deck (I know it will make adding further pe problematical but I figure the whole ship will have to be knocked off the bench to damage bits in the future)

So now I have about a gazillion bits of PE to add to the  Oerlikons, then all the railings, build and add the last set of pompoms to the stern big guns, add the pe to those guns and the job should be a goodun.

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2019, 01:23:46 AM »
Wow - I'm close to speechless. And me chickened out adding PE handles to a 1/72 canopy. Excellent job  :D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »
Mostly do aircraft builds.  Considering a ship in 2019.  Turned attention to study of King George build pictures.  Is complex-intricate when drilling down to fine detail you are.
What happens to most of PE ?   Is it painted to ship color or left bare ?   Never used it; certain adhesives you do or don't recommend for PE ?
Some parts look too fine to manipulate.  Impressive crackerjack build.  :o  :smiley:

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 04:47:46 AM »
Hi all well all the Oerlikons are finally done as is the last of the pompoms (I accidentally stuck the shields on the wrong way round on the first of this set of Oerlikons and thought the brass showed up better so I've done all the rest the wrong way round (if you use the etched detail side you can hardly notice the pe)(here's a challenge try to find the ones with the pe the right way round they hardly notice) 

Hi mate normally the pe is painted after attachment (some pe detail is so fine painting will hide that detail) also some is so small as to be pointless to add (as an example on my warspite build)(warspite gets a few scars) there is a small gusset (acctually 4, 2 each side)under the catapult that  measure 1.5 by 1 millimetre, what is the point of them once on no one will ever see them,. My personal opinion is use what you want of it to avoid hours of frustration.
I use Poundland superglue unless the part might take a while to get in the right place in which case I use pva glue, i use a cocktail stick to apply the glue to either the part or the area the part is supposed to be placed (sometimes the latter is easier especially when using pva glue)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2019, 04:06:48 AM »
Oh how I wish I hadn't glued the sub assy's on putting the railings around them is proving to be a royal pita, I've even tried prying them off (why is it that you really glue something well and it falls off if you sneeze, you just tack something and it's stuck fast) grrrrrrrrr I think I've just made this a million times harder, i should not have got paranoid that the sub assy's would get knocked to the floor again.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2019, 03:37:43 AM »
Hi all here is the best tip you will ever get, never ever glue the sub assy's to the deck if you're using pe this piece of pe took 2 hrs and ive left a piece out as I see no way of bending it and getting it in place (tbh it's so small even if I added it I doubt it would show anyway) 

Once again DO NOT GLUE SUB ASSYS TO THE DECK IF USING PE.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2019, 07:37:50 PM »
Gotcha! :smiley:

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2019, 11:46:12 PM »
Hi all that's all the PE attached just the rigging to do now (not looking forward to that) I say all the PE there are some steps and platforms to add to the sides but I will add them after it's on a stand as I already broke the platform off the one set of stairs which I added and lost the platform for them, i figure it will be safer to leave them till last.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2019, 12:03:17 AM »
She's a big beastie! :smiley:

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2019, 02:41:25 AM »
Well she's finally finished, now I can get on with some of my other stalled builds.