Author Topic: M2/M3 Bradley IFV/CFV  (Read 22419 times)

Offline Zaskar24

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
M2/M3 Bradley IFV/CFV
« on: July 07, 2014, 03:42:33 AM »
A thread for all things Bradley related.  As a former Bradley crew member it has always held a soft spot for me as maligned as it is. 

So my thought for a modification is to go with the BUSK hull up armoring.  Remove the turret and armor plate that area.  Install a heavy remote weapons system that can handle up to the 30mm Bushmaster II.  Alternately it could mount an Ma Deuce or a Mk 19.   Have a mix of all 3 weapons in a platoon for variety.  Put the gunner in the hull next to the RCWS mounting and put a hatch behind the driver for the vehicle commander since the dismount position behind the driver was almost impossible to get out of in a hurry when dismounting.  It would drop a whole hell of a lot of weight which could be used for up armoring.  You could also increase the fuel capacity since the tank is on the right side of the vehicle which would now have some free space with the removal of the turret.   
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:50:06 AM by Zaskar24 »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: M2/M3 Bradley IFV/CFV
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 08:29:57 AM »
what if the IDF had accepted the Bradley ? ......

my model from last year ...

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 08:34:54 AM »
high-top variant for comms or ambulance ....
comms type with box-armour & Stryker-style RWS in Afghanistan ....

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:36:02 AM »
ADATS version ....

Infantry-Support type with recoilless rifles ?? ....

and another version of the apc with gun-station shields
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:42:11 AM by raafif »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
So my thought for a modification is to go with the BUSK hull up armoring.  Remove the turret and armor plate that area.  Install a heavy remote weapons system that can handle up to the 30mm Bushmaster II.

As you wish:

That's a Bradley with the Rafael Samson RCWS with 30mm Bushmaster II. Here's a variant that actually entered service, but still seems to be little-known. It's the M6 Linebacker with four Stingers instead of TOWs.

And here are some more turretless variants. Some medical, some command, some APC.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Zaskar24

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »
Those are great raafif and Logan! 

I was hoping that you would post your IDF variant raafif since the pictures are no longer available in the thread.  I do like how you extended the exhaust down low to decrease the IR signature I am guessing.

Logan, I knew about the Linebacker AA version but not the Rafael one.  I am going to have to do more research on that one.  I don't suppose anyone does a 1/35 version of that one?  Is the box Spike AT missiles by chance?  This is what I was actually picturing. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:36:40 AM by Zaskar24 »

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 11:11:08 AM »
I was hoping that you would post your IDF variant raafif since the pictures are no longer available in the thread.  I do like how you extended the exhaust down low to decrease the IR signature I am guessing.

The Israelis do that to keep the exhaust out of the faces of the crew.  They did it on their M113s and it was one of the most sensible mods ever done on that vehicle IMO.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
half Bradley / half Stryker

Offline Zaskar24

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 04:00:13 AM »
I watched that build with interest Gingie.  I was very impressed with how well it matched up and a great looking design you put together.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 04:09:49 AM »
Logan, I knew about the Linebacker AA version but not the Rafael one.  I am going to have to do more research on that one.  I don't suppose anyone does a 1/35 version of that one?  Is the box Spike AT missiles by chance?  This is what I was actually picturing.

Those are indeed Spike missiles. I'm sure nobody does a kit of that at the moment, though. It's tough to even find pictures of it. I was surprised Rafael got its hands on a Bradley chassis to play with like that. Those aren't cheap.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 08:05:27 AM »
It would be in BAE's interest to allow Rafael to produce an upgrade to the Bradley with Spike missiles to increase the likelihood of sales of the Bradley.  As many nations now use Spike, it is an incentive to them to utilise the Bradley as their IFV if it already can use Spike.  All the R&D is done and paid for.

Offline Zaskar24

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 08:55:19 AM »
That is a good point Rickshaw.  Though the competition is pretty stiff with designs like the CV90 and Puma out there. 

I will definitely have to keep my eye out for a 1/35 scale Rafael Samson 30 mm RCWS.

I could also always go with a Puma.  I am also looking at MTB's to turn into HAPCs besides the Achzarit/T-55 and Merkava/Namer designs.  I know the Russians have a version of their own as do the Serbians I believe it is.  Something that can keep up with the current batch of MTBs.  Though the last is a subject for another topic me thinks. 

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 10:58:43 AM »
  I am also looking at MTB's to turn into HAPCs...   Something that can keep up with the current batch of MTBs.

I like the idea of a PzH 2000 HAPC....

http://www.casr.ca/mp-army-combat-systems-hiav.htm

Offline Zaskar24

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 11:24:19 AM »
That is a nice find!  And a good choice as well.  It could in fact be done to any of the currently in service SPGs.  Provide it with a RCWS and off you go.

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »
That is a good point Rickshaw.  Though the competition is pretty stiff with designs like the CV90 and Puma out there. 

I will definitely have to keep my eye out for a 1/35 scale Rafael Samson 30 mm RCWS.

I could also always go with a Puma.  I am also looking at MTB's to turn into HAPCs besides the Achzarit/T-55 and Merkava/Namer designs.  I know the Russians have a version of their own as do the Serbians I believe it is.  Something that can keep up with the current batch of MTBs.  Though the last is a subject for another topic me thinks.

Jordan has IMO built the best thought out conversion in the Temsah.  A Centurion which has been turned around and now drives backwards, with the troop compartment where the former fighting compartment was and a ramp where the glacis was.  It means you don't have to chutes or the passengers exiting over the side.

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 02:18:44 PM »
I notice nobody posted any pics of the Bradley ICFV Variant. The Ice Cream Feeding Vehicle.

As most of you will recall, this variant is a high-top like the ambulance, but features large hydraulically-operated swing up side panel, a massive A/C package and added external speakers.

hmmm... Now where did I leave my meds? :)

Offline Zaskar24

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »
I had forgotten about the Temsah.  Jordan is really doing a good job of creating new equipment with their old stuff.  It is almost like they have taken a page from their neighbor to the West.  Now if only a conversion would come out for the Falcon 2 turret.  I know that one has already been done and is on our forum.  By someone who has already posted in this thread and given me some good ideas.

I am looking at some of the current SPGs right now for inspiration.  Thank you for that Graeme!

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 08:58:55 AM »
How about a Bradley that is fitted with the LAV-AD 25mm Gatling Gun/Stinger SAM turret?  Should be pretty much a drop in modification unless you want to put in internal details.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 12:57:39 PM »
How about a Bradley that is fitted with the LAV-AD 25mm Gatling Gun/Stinger SAM turret?  Should be pretty much a drop in modification unless you want to put in internal details.

They used to have the M6 Linebacker...

M6 Linebacker

M6 Linebacker along the highway near Balad, Iraq, October 2005

An air defense variant, these vehicles are modified M2A2 ODSs with the TOW missile system replaced with a four-tube Stinger missile system. From 2005 to 2006, M6 Linebackers had their Stinger missile systems removed and were converted to standard M2 Bradley ODS infantry fighting vehicles.[36]
[Source]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:02:42 PM by Rickshaw »

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »
M6 Linebacker

An air defense variant, these vehicles are modified M2A2 ODSs with the TOW missile system replaced with a four-tube Stinger missile system. From 2005 to 2006, M6 Linebackers had their Stinger missile systems removed and were converted to standard M2 Bradley ODS infantry fighting vehicles.[36]
[Source]

Is there a reason other than cost (my uneducated guess) for the retirement of M6 Linebacker?
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 05:51:19 PM »
M6 Linebacker

[Source]

Is there a reason other than cost (my uneducated guess) for the retirement of M6 Linebacker?

I would suggest a lack of targets and a greater need for Bradleys in their normal roles.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 03:01:37 AM »

Something like this?

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 05:56:40 AM »
Something like this?

With the exception of the radar, yes, exactly like that :)

Should be an easy kit bash between the LAV-AD and the M2 IFV/M3 CFV kits
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »
CV90AD turret, or even a CV9035 version there of, on a Bradley hull.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 01:09:59 AM »
I know the Bradley turret has been demonstrated on a stretched M113 variant from Turkey.  Has the turret been marketed to Europe in other manners?  One that involves new FCS and even a new main gun?

(I also know that Bradley was tested with Bushmaster III...... but how would the combat endurance for the Bradley be with 35mm ammunitions instead of 30mm?)

I like how Bradley Linebacker is derived from regular Bradley.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?