Author Topic: Litvyak's profiles  (Read 203970 times)

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
Re: Litvyak's profiles
« Reply #300 on: July 02, 2012, 05:29:03 AM »
Here's another:

HMCS Lord Stanley of Preston - Canada's first nuclear-powered submarine, based on a modified Oberon design with a CANDU-type reactor modified for submarine use. Lord Stanley became the first and so far only Canadian sub, and only the second nuclear sub in the world, to sink a ship in anger after sinking the ARA Piedrabuena during the Falklands War.
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #301 on: July 02, 2012, 11:28:29 PM »
And a couple more AltCan subs, though these correspond to RW subs, too; the only real difference here are the ensign/jack and name marking on the hull...

HMCS Grilse - the first submarine commissioned into the postwar RCN. Modified Gato-class, ex USS Burrfish, in service 1961-1969 for training and gaining experience with submarine operations. Returned to the USN in 1969 and scrapped.

HMCS Okanagan - one of three British Oberon-class subs commissioned into the RCN - HMCS Ojibwa in 1965, HMCS Onondaga in 1967 and HMCS Ojibwa in 1968. These formed the RCN's first active submarine force. After introduction of the Prince Rupert-class SSKs between 1971 and 1974 the O boats were shifting to a training and proficiency-maintenance role, seldom leaving Canadian waters. Onondaga was the first to decommission in 1986, Ojibwa in 1987 and Okanagan in 1988. Onondaga is preserved as a museum.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #302 on: July 03, 2012, 06:51:17 AM »
Here's the last batch of AltCan submarines!

HMCS Rainbow - ex US Navy submarine USS Argonaut was leased from the USN and commissioned into the RCN in 1968, replacing HMCS Grilse in the training role from 1969. After the commissioning of the fifth and last of the Prince Rupert-class SSKs in 1974, Rainbow was decommissioned and returned to the US, as the training and proficiency-maintenance role was taken over by the three Oberon-class boats.

HMCS Sir Wilfrid Laurier - The decision to commission a fleet of nuclear subs was made in 1983, based on the generally positive experience with HMCS Lord Stanley. The decision was made to use a British or French design to save time and avoid having to reinvent the wheel; the decision finally went in favour of the RN's Trafalgar class, and eight were ordered and commissioned between 1987 and 1994, named after early Prime Ministers. The first two were built in the UK, the remaining six were built by Canadian Vickers in Montreal and by Versatile Pacific in Vancouver. The primary difference between the MacDonald-class boats from the original RN design is the design of the reactor - the Canadian boats are powered by a CANDU-type reactor. The lead boat, HMCS Sir John A. MacDonald, is to decommission in 2013, and the remainder will be decommissioned one by one as the class' replacements, the Laura Secord-class, is commissioned. The last two MacDonald-class boats, HMCS Sir Robert Borden and HMCS William Lyon Mackenzie King are to be decommissioned in 2020.

HMCS Laura Secord - In 1995, the RCN unveiled its "Navy 2020" plan, which called for the replacement of the MacDonald-class of nuclear submarines, with nine to be in service by 2020. It was decided to purchase a licence to build vessels of the French Barracuda design, and the first two, to be called HMCS Laura Secord and HMCS Major-General Sir Isaac Brock, were laid down in 2004. They were launched in late 2010, underwent sea trials through 2011 and were commissioned this year.  As with the MacDonald-class boats, the original design was modified in terms of the powerplant, the Secord-class boats receiving a CANDU-type reactor. HMCS Laura Secord and HMCS Sir Isaac Brock were commissioned into the RCN on Dominion Day, July 1, 2012 at Halifax. Brock is to set out on a round-the-world goodwill tour at the end of July, 2012; scheduled port visits include Washington D.C., USA; Stanley, Falkland Islands; Auckland, New Zealand; Sydney, Australia; Cape Town, South Africa and London. The first two boats are to be followed by one new boat each year from 2014 until 2020. The third boat, to be called HMCS Joseph Barss is to be launched at the end of 2012 and commissioned in early 2014, and the fourth, HMCS Tecumseh, has begun construction at Versatile Pacific Shipyards in BC, and is to commission in 2015.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #303 on: July 03, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #304 on: July 04, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »

HMCS Bonaventure (CV 22) - two ships built to a modified Forrestal design, HMCS Queen Charlotte (CV 23) and HMCS Bonaventure were commissioned in 1971 to replace the modified Majestic-class HMCS Bonaventure (CVL 22). The image here is illustrative of Bonnie during the Falklands campaign (as suggested by the Army CH-147 Chinook helicopter on the lift). Somewhat shorter than the Forrestal-class, the Queen Charlotte-class carriers deleted the forwardmost lift and replaced the guns with four Sea Cat SAMs. Queenie is flagship of the Pacific Fleet, while Bonnie is the flagship of the Atlantic Fleet. These ships can carry up to 72 aircraft operationally; at present, the standard air wing consists of 70 aircraft - 36 CF-201N Seafire II fighters in two squadrons, 8 CEF-110N Spirit combat jammers, 4 CE-121 Hawkeye AEW and 6 CP-170 Viking ASW aircraft, 4 CC-121A Greyhound transport aircraft, along with 8 CH-148 ASW and 4 CH-148 minesweeping helicopters. Both took part in the Vietnam War, HMCS Bonaventure played an important role in the Falklands War, in NATO operations against Yugoslavia (Operation Allied Force) and in the 2011 operations against Libya, while HMCS Queen Charlotte took part in the first Gulf War and in operations in Afghanistan.

Close-up view of the island. In the early 1980s, the standard air wing comprised 36 CF-110N Spectre fighters in two squadrons, 4 CE-121 Hawkeye AEW, 6 CP-121 Tracker ASW aircraft, 4 CC-121 Greyhound transport aircraft, along with 8 CH-124 Sea King ASW and 4 CH-124M Sea King minesweeping helicopters. During the Falklands deployment, Bonnie carried only 36 CF-110N, 2 CE-121 and 2 CP-121 of the standard complement, the remaining aircraft being left in Canada to make room for the CH-147 Chinook helicopters of 706 Transport & Rescue Helicopter Squadron (Canadian Army) and two companies from the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #305 on: July 04, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »
I hope that phantom is going to drop its landing gear soon... :o

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #306 on: July 04, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
I hope that phantom is going to drop its landing gear soon... :o

Unless of course the RCN perfected the rubberised deck concept that the RN abandoned in the 50s.

Great looking ship by the way.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #307 on: July 04, 2012, 09:15:07 PM »
Not rubber, antigrav!

Anyways my CF-110 profiles were done gear up and I couldn't be bothered to draw tiny wheels under it... though that might be a bit ironic there considering the boat... :P

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #308 on: July 04, 2012, 10:15:37 PM »
Ehem...its a "ship", not a boat!!!  Submarines and surface craft under 50m in length are boats, anything over is a ship.  You've been warned  ;)

Nice drawing man!  I do have some designs for smaller carriers I want to show you though if you want to play with around with it.

"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #309 on: July 05, 2012, 06:48:08 AM »
Ehem...its a "ship", not a boat!!!  Submarines and surface craft under 50m in length are boats, anything over is a ship.  You've been warned  ;)

In the Royal Navy parlance a submarine is always a boat. Her Majesty’s Submarine never a HM Ship. The definition being a ship is something one can strut the deck of but a boat being something one hops into. Which would make for an interesting committee meeting if a RN descended Navy was ever to acquire some kind of full stealth vessel like the Sea Shadow. Is it a boat or a ship? Then there are launches and barges…

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #310 on: July 05, 2012, 06:54:44 AM »
Just about all, if not all submariners refer to their subs as boats.  My comment was supposed to reflect that, guess I missed a comma.  Textbook definition I've always heard is a vessel's length is the determining factor.  If the RN is different well they certainly have a right to be.  They have been doing it a lot longer than most of the rest of us  :D

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #311 on: July 05, 2012, 08:19:31 AM »

Nice drawing man!  I do have some designs for smaller carriers I want to show you though if you want to play with around with it.

Sure, could be worth looking at! :) Right now I'm working on the carriers in which there's overlap between RW and AltCan - Warrior, Maggie and Bonnie (CVL 22), while I figure out just exactly what I want to do for the Magnificent-class CVNs that are to replace the Queen Charlotte class carriers. All I know so far is that it's a nuc-powered scale-up of the RW RN QE class.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #312 on: July 05, 2012, 09:07:51 PM »
Here are some AltCan profiles I'd forgotten I'd finished!

The CH-136 Kiowa (serials 136201-136428) entered service with the Canadian Army in 1971, the first ten being delivered from the USA, while the remainder were built under licence by Fleet Canada. The first few dozen Canadian-built Kiowas were sent directly to CA units in Vietnam, where they were used primarily as light gunships, and occasionally in the MEDEVAC role until the withdrawal in 1975.

The ten American-built Kiowas remained in Canada for familiarisation and conversion training, while many more Canadian-built units, remained in Canada for use in various roles. The scheme seen here is the first used on home-deployed CH-136s, overall green with yellow lettering, used between 1971 and 1984.

The first overseas CA units not in Vietnam to receive the Kiowa were those stationed at Fort Wonju, South Korea, in 1972; subsequently, CA units in Europe also received the CH-136, all wearing the standard overseas camouflage. The yellow lettering was used from delivery until 1984.

In 1984, the CA replaced the yellow lettering with black, but otherwise the paint remained unchanged until 1988.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #313 on: July 05, 2012, 09:11:19 PM »

In 1988, the CA did away with the overseas camo, standardising all tactical helicopters - including the CH-136 - in overall green with loviz lettering. This scheme was in use on all Kiowas until the type's retirement in 1995.

And, here's something new:

HMCS Warrior - the Royal Canadian Navy's first post-war aircraft carrier. Leased from the Royal Navy and operated from 1946 until 1948, it carried 37 aircraft operationally, a mix of Fairey Firefly, Fairey Barracuda and Hawker Sea Fury aircraft.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #314 on: July 06, 2012, 02:08:20 AM »

Offline stephenmiller

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2012, 08:01:24 AM »
I love your postings on an alternate Canada.  Do you not have a timeline-history on how this came on about and on the foreign affairs in this scenario?

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »
Thanks, glad you enjoy it! :)

I don't really have a timeline made up (yet)... there's just been the tidbits that come up here and on the AltCan site (http://altcan.webs.com/ ). Haven't really got to compiling a timeline yet, what with there also being other projects going on concurrently (especially now with the AltBC project, too!).

Divergence point is basically the end of WW2... foreign affairs haven't worked out too much beyond little bits and pieces - like, far more and more extensive cooperation between the Commonwealth Realms, Canada took part in the Vietnam War and in the Falklands War, Canada to this day recognises the Taipei government as the legitimate government of all China, etc.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2012, 05:42:37 AM »
Nice drawing man!  ...

Ehem ... that's the "1st lady of whiff" yer talkin' too. Now you've been warned   ;D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #318 on: July 08, 2012, 06:43:35 AM »
Well she apparently didn't care so....  ;D

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #319 on: July 08, 2012, 07:53:06 AM »
I myself say "man" and "dude" without regard to gender of the listener... by this point, I think those have become non-gender-specific terms, at least when used as an interjection... :D

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #320 on: July 08, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
And here begins the latest instalment of AltBC stuff...

Supermarine Swan Song
The last indigenous BC combat aircraft

The RBCAF entered the jet age operationally in 1951 with the Supermarine Attacker, as manufactured by Supermarine BC in a de-navalised version. Intended as a fighter, it wasn't greatly suited for the role, and by 1955 it was relegated to the ground attack role after the Supermarine (BC) Swift F.1 entered service.

In 1959, the BC-ised version of the Supermarine Scimitar entered service with the RBCAF in the FGA role; these aircraft were built in BC by Supermarine as a de-navalised version of the British Scimitar, and apart from the different cannon fit (Tobin AC.2 30 mm cannon instead of Aden) and the lack of naval equipment, the Scimitar FGA.1 was quite similar to its RN counterpart.

Almost as soon as the Swift F.1 entered RBCAF service, work began on a replacement, a further development of the Swift. Unfortunately, problem after problem came up, continually delaying progress on the project, and in 1958 de Havilland BC proposed to the RBCAF a land-based version of the de Havilland (UK) Sea Vixen then in the late stages of development; DHBC promised that the type could enter service in BC by 1961. Supermarine also insisted that the new Swift-based fighter would be ready by 1961 as well, but the RBCAF was sceptical of this claim, and so they turned to DHBC, promising an order for the Vixen if a prototype to production standards was ready by January 1960. DHBC delivered - early, with the production-standard prototype taking to the air in September 1959. The RBCAF kept its word, placing an order for 80 Vixens that entered service from late 1960; the Swifts, which had been problematic, were retired after only 5 years in service.

The procurement of the Vixen bought Supermarine time to continue work on the new Swift-derived fighter, after the RBCAF said that it would expect to be looking to replace the Vixen around 1970. In mid 1963, the RBCAF gave the go-ahead to a Supermarine project called "Skookum Scimitar". This official go-ahead was actually just the first public acknowledgement of a "black project" that had been in the works in Supermarine's "Dark Corner" since 1960 - a Scimitar-based multirole fighter. The stated intention of the Skookum Scimitar project was to field an aircraft that would eventually replace both the Scimitar and the Vixen in RBCAF service.

Once the go-ahead was given, all work on the Swift-based project was stopped, and all of Supermarine's capabilities were focussed on the new project. In May 1964, a Scimitar test mule flew with basic Skookum Scimitar electronics, followed in June by another Scimitar test mule with an interim radar set. By November, the first aerodynamic prototype was ready, a modification of a Scimitar airframe. This underwent several tweaks before the first flying prototype Skookum Scimitar was rolled out in August 1965. This was a two-seat version of the Scimitar powered by two Rolls-Royce Spey 202. A modification of a Scimitar airframe, it retained the original Scimitar nose as it did not have a radar fitted.

The second flying prototype took to the air in early September 1965; this was essentially identical to the first, but it incorporated the new nose, designed to house a new radar system then in development at Ferranti. The flights of the two prototypes produced much data to study, and over the winter and following summer a great deal of work was done in further refining the design.

In October, 1966, the first pre-production Skookum Scimitar made its maiden flight, and glamour shots of the aircraft taken from a distance were released to the public in November. These showed the major, immediately-noticeable difference between the prototypes and the refined design - the empennage had undergone a complete redesign.

The RBCAF ordered a batch of five pre-production Skookum Scimitars on 8 November 1966, and extensive trials of the five aircraft were undertaken in northern BC between December 1966 and September, 1967, while in March of 1967 the aircraft was given a formal RBCAF designation, and the Supermarine Shukopoots ("Rattlesnake" in Chinook Wawa) was born.

(tbc!)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:33:28 PM by Litvyak »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #321 on: July 08, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #322 on: July 09, 2012, 03:10:28 AM »
Supermarine Swan Song, continued

In October 1967, the first production-standard Shukopoots FGA.1 made its maiden flight and began service trials, with three more taking to the air over the subsequent three weeks. The four LRIP aircraft, BC7600 through BC7603 were temporarily fitted with a Blue Circle radar set (that is, concrete ballast) until January 1968, when Ferranti finally delivered the first production AI.23 (Blue Parrot/AIRPASS II) radars. These sets were installed onto BC7600 through BC7603, and radar integration trials were completed in April 1968. 1 OTU accepted the production Shukopoots FGA.1 in May, and production began to fulfil the first RBCAF order for 66 aircraft. The Shukopoots FGA.1 was IOC declared on 17 August 1968 with No. 101 Sqn RBCAF.

Through the remainder of 1968, aircraft were delivered to No. 101 (S) Sqn, based at RBCAF Cranbrook, and No. 10 (S) Sqn, at RBCAF Terrace. The aircraft of both these units were delivered in the standard RBCAF strike camo scheme of Forest Green (BCSI-59-403), Dark Green (BCSI-59-404) and Dark Slate Grey (BCSI-59-606) over Sky (BCSI-59-503). The production Shukopoots FGA.1 retained the twin Tobin AC.2 30 mm cannon of the pre-production examples, and for air-to-air combat were capable of carrying Firestreak and Red Top missiles. In the air-to-ground role, the Shukopoots introduced two new weapon systems to the RBCAF - the French AS-20 ASM and the American AGM-62 Walleye glide bomb, which greatly improved the RBCAF's ability to effectively attack surface targets. Various iron bombs could also be carried.

The third unit to convert to the Shukopoots FGA.1 was No. 5 (MS) Sqn, which had since 1959 been a dedicated maritime strike unit based at RBCAF Comox. 5 Sqn's aircraft wore a distinct camouflage scheme of Blue Grey (BCSI-59-508) and Dark Slate Grey (BCSI-59-606) over Haze Grey (BCSI-59-603).

(tbc)

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #323 on: July 09, 2012, 04:00:53 AM »
The Shukopoots look great

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #324 on: July 09, 2012, 08:47:56 AM »

International interest in the Shukopoots FGA.1 was disappointing, but it was well known that Supermarine was working on an improved variant even as the first FGA.1s began to roll off the production line; this is perhaps a factor in the limited interest. In the event, the FGA.1 found only one foreign customer - the South African Air Force. The SAAF ordered a total of 60 aircraft - 54 fully combat capable FGA.11 and 6 T.11 trainers, which replaced the aft bombardier/radar operator's equipment with a second set of flight controls for the instructor. The SAAF operated their Shukopoots until 1991, and through the late 1970s and the 1980s they saw considerable action in the Border War with Angola. Shown here is an FGA.1 of No. 3 Sqn (SAAF).