Author Topic: Logan's Profiles - 8x8 Scimitar  (Read 367371 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Logan's Profiles - Flying Tigers A-19A Stuka
« Reply #725 on: March 14, 2015, 10:51:13 AM »
Love the AVG Viking Logan!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #726 on: March 15, 2015, 01:24:32 AM »
Wonderful profile!  :-*
That devil looks a lot like the Lightning Demons from Diablo I.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #727 on: March 16, 2015, 09:49:11 AM »
Thanks, guys! He kinda does, ChernayaAkula, though it wasn't intentional. Originally I had intended the feet to be more like the lightning demon in those images, but that was beyond my artistic ability.

My main inspiration was actually the nightmare fuel known as "Chernabog" from Fantasia.

Considering the time period (Fantasia came out in 1940), that might even have been the original inspiration for the figure (minus the wings).

Cheers,

Logan

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #728 on: April 27, 2015, 11:58:16 PM »
That's a great reworking of the Stuka.  :)
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #729 on: May 02, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
Just caught up on this thread.
That Stuka revamp is really, really nice.

Offline DaveyBoy

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #730 on: May 05, 2015, 02:59:55 PM »
Hello Logan, I've not long joined the forum, so I've been playing catch-up with some of the threads, I'm really Impressed with your profiles and especially the stories you have put with each profile.... they so make great sense.

I'm following this now and I eagerly look forward to what ever else you bring forth.

Dave.

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #731 on: May 05, 2015, 08:05:34 PM »
Great work, as always. ;)
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Vought BTU-1 Vandal (Stuka)
« Reply #732 on: June 03, 2015, 05:25:20 AM »
Thanks, everyone! I'm glad you liked that one. Here's another one that's been in the works for a long time!

As per usual with the Vikings, note that this is reduced to 33%. Click on the profile to see it on Photobucket where you can click again and see it at 100%.

The Curtiss Model 84 was declared the winner of the US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics 1938 VSB Competition, but all the designs put forward suffered from serious issues as a result of the demanding specifications. Much like they did with the XSB3U in the 1934 Competition, Vought also decided to propose a more conservative design that was a re-engined variant of an existing airframe. In this case, Vought took their SB4U design and modified it with a new cockpit, a fully enclosed turret, a new horizontal tail, and an 1,800 hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800.

The prototype Curtiss XSB2C-1 Helldiver on its maiden flight on 18 December 1940.

While it was less technologically advanced than the VSB designs, being less streamlined and lacking an internal bomb bay, the Viking variant was smaller, lighter, and based on a proven design. This made it a good alternative to the faster and longer-ranged Curtiss XSB2C. There was no true XBTU prototype, however, just a production SB4U that Vought modified in late 1940 with an R-2800 to be the V-176 demonstrator. Suitably impressed with the performance of this aircraft and increasingly frustrated with the Curtiss XSB2C (which would suffer a major crash on 9 February 1941), the Navy awarded Vought a contract for 370 BTU-1 aircraft which were given the name "Vandal".

In the Vought-Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, Stratford, Connecticut, 1940.

The aircraft was given a new designation (BTU - Bomber, Torpedo, Vought) and new name in part to reflect the changes to the Viking design, but also as a result of Vought lobbying with the Navy. Vought wanted to promote the aircraft as a new design to better compete with the more advanced Curtiss product. It was also fitting since the increased power made the carriage of a torpedo far more practical, but all the extra weight reduced the range, making the aircraft a less effective scout.

Since there was no true BTU prototype, the first BTU-1 Vandal was BuNo 00001, which first flew on 30 June 1942, less than a week after the first production F4U-1 took flight. Unlike many of the other new Navy aircraft entering service around this time, however, production ramped up quickly since it was a modification of the existing SB4U Viking airframe and many of the components were unchanged. The cockpit was raised to help with visibility around the new, larger R-2800 engine. A new horizontal tail was created to replace the draggy, externally braced horizontal stabilizer that was a holdover from the original Junkers Ju 87 V4 prototype purchased by Vought back in 1936.

Boulton Paul 'Type A' Turret

The other major change was the addition of a power-operated turret. The problem was that the Viking had also inherited the narrow fuselage of the Ju 87, and there were few suitable turrets that were both small enough to fit the fuselage and allowed the operator to bail out quickly if necessary. Vought opted for the Boulton Paul 'Type A' Turret used on the Defiant turret fighter. The Bendix Corporation had licensed production of the turret in the United States, Boulton Paul having itself licensed the turret from the French aviation company SAMM. Bendix made a number of changes to the turret, most notably replacing the four .303 Brownings with twin .50 cals.

The combination of German airframe, American engine, and French & British turret would prove to be a fruitful one, well-suited to the US Navy's operational needs.

Thanks to Talos for help with the new R-2800 prop and engine lines.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #733 on: June 03, 2015, 11:21:27 AM »
That's one nice looking aeroplane, Logan (& Talos)! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #734 on: June 03, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »
That Vandal is absolute a hit, Logan! Very nice development on the SB4U! :) :)

regards
Lauhof

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #735 on: June 04, 2015, 02:20:23 AM »
It would be interesting to have a go building that.  We have a bit of Ju87, F6 Hellcat, F4U, BP Defiant...what else?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #736 on: June 04, 2015, 02:56:03 AM »
Thanks, Wombat!  I knew that you would like it, Lauhof! You'll like some of the late war schemes even more, I think.

It would be interesting to have a go building that.  We have a bit of Ju87, F6 Hellcat, F4U, BP Defiant...what else?

Shouldn't be any F6F Hellcat needed, the F4U Corsair should get you most of what you need. For a Stuka donor kit, I'd recommend the otherwise hideous 1/48 scale Lindberg Stuka. Nothing on it is accurate, but it would work well as a basis for the highly modified one in my profiles, especially given it's very low price.

The Boulton-Paul turret with a couple of .50 cals and the cockpit fairing is all you'd need there. The rest should come from the F4U Corsair.

The raised canopy on this early one was inspired by the one on the Vought V-173.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #737 on: June 04, 2015, 02:59:35 AM »
Oh, ok.  I mistakenly thought the cockpit canopy was derived from the F6F:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #738 on: June 04, 2015, 03:37:00 AM »
It's close enough that you could certainly use it and it would likely work just as well as anything else.

I looked at the Grumman products, but it was directly inspired by the F4U-1A with some additional bracing. I was able to justify the curved form with added bracing because of the V-173, which follows a similar line.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #739 on: June 04, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »
Alright, I'm working on a year and a half old request right now, but after that, I don't have a specific profile lined up. Is there a profile that any of you have been absolutely dying to see? Any subject I've done recently is an option.

• Heinkel He 46G
  • Conwing L-16 Sea Duck
  • Vought SB4U Viking
  • Heinkel He 100
  • Hitachi A9He1
  • Nakajima Ki-63
  • Vought BTU Vandal
  • Northrop P-61F/F-15A Reporter
  • Martin B-51 Panther
  • Handley Page Panther B.2
  • LTV V-507 Vagabond
  • Mil Mi-24V Hind
  • Sukhoi Su-39 Frogfoot
  • AeroTAM L-239 Skorpion

Cheers,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #740 on: June 05, 2015, 02:17:59 AM »
Alright, I'm working on a year and a half old request right now, but after that, I don't have a specific profile lined up. Is there a profile that any of you have been absolutely dying to see? Any subject I've done recently is an option.

• Heinkel He 46G
  • Conwing L-16 Sea Duck
  • Vought SB4U Viking
  • Heinkel He 100
  • Hitachi A9He1
  • Nakajima Ki-63
  • Vought BTU Vandal
  • Martin B-51 Panther
  • LTV V-507 Vagabond
  • Mil Mi-24V Hind
  • Sukhoi Su-39 Frogfoot
  • AeroTAM L-239 Skorpion

Cheers,

Logan

Well as you know Logan I choose the SB4U and the BTU vandal! My favourites!
And I love to see the later schemes of the BTU!

friendly regards
Lauhof

PS: Working myself on a P-66 variant, the FV-1

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - USAF V-507 Vagabond - 318th FIS
« Reply #741 on: June 05, 2015, 02:38:11 AM »
As always, click on the image below to see the picture at 100% or view it at my DeviantArt page.

By 1975, the Convair F-106 Delta Dart was showing its age and the USAF began looking for a replacement. USAF General Daniel "Chappie" James, Jr. had just become first African American to reach the rank of four-star general, and assumed his position as commander in chief of North American Air Defense Command/Continental Air Defense Command. As the new head of NORAD, Gen. James flew a few test flights in an LTV F-14A Vagabond and loved it. LTV was offering the baseline V-507 with a few Air Force-specific modifications such as boom refueling receptacle and USAF compatible radios, and Gen. James convinced the USAF to buy some as soon as possible. Special funds were allocated for their acquisition and NORAD's new interceptors became the last aircraft purchased during FY 75.

After passing the service's flight testing, the first aircraft were assigned to the 318th Fighter Interceptor Squadron at McChord AFB, Washington to complete the follow-on operational test and evaluation program. The new F-14As soon received the iconic compass rose on the tail to match the squadron's F-106s they replaced. The impressive endurance, radar performance, and Phoenix missile range was appreciated by NORAD and the new aircraft began to attract a lot of attention—not all of it positive.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #742 on: June 05, 2015, 03:10:20 AM »
Thanks to Talos for the gorgeous tail markings. That compass rose wasn't easy to tailor to the V-507's massive tail, but it was really worth the effort. It looks fantastic and the F-106's scheme fits the V-507 better than the F-15s that really replaced them.

Also, I forgot to include this originally, but here's a version of the profile with the wing tanks and the 318th's nice arrowhead that Talos also created for this profile.

Cheers,

Logan

« Reply #743 on: June 05, 2015, 04:56:26 AM »
Arf... Still a big fan of your V-507 profiles Logan  :-*

If you have more of it, I'm interested  :)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #744 on: June 05, 2015, 09:36:56 AM »

• Heinkel He 46G
  • Conwing L-16 Sea Duck
  • Vought SB4U Viking
  • Heinkel He 100
  • Hitachi A9He1
  • Nakajima Ki-63
  • Vought BTU Vandal
  • Martin B-51 Panther
  • LTV V-507 Vagabond
  • Mil Mi-24V Hind
  • Sukhoi Su-39 Frogfoot
  • AeroTAM L-239 Skorpion

Cheers,

Logan

Conwing L-16

In WWII Colors? Namely Navy/USMC Blues?  ;) maybe some other WWII nations? RAF? Japan?

Marveling at the USAF Tomcat, Great choice of markings, that is sharp.  :-*  I like how you preserved the F-106 nose marking as well

"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Matt Wiser

« Reply #745 on: June 05, 2015, 09:52:49 AM »
Logan, how about a V-507 from the CA ANG, 144th FIW.

And an Mi-24V for the Red Dawn plus 20 timeline: one in Cuban camo but now "acquired" by the USMC. Cuban markings hastily painted over and U.S. insignia applied.
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect. But always have a plan ready to kill them.

Old USMC Adage.

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #746 on: June 05, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »
I'm really pleased with how the 318th insignia came out. Logan suggested it around lunchtime yesterday and I gathered references that afternoon and started and finished it that evening. It took a bit of fiddling to get it where I liked it. I thought I would show a little behind the scenes. This is what the framework for the drawing looked like before I took them into Photoshop to become paths.

It only ended up becoming three layers, the base shape of the compass rose itself (which got colored light blue), the pinwheel looking parts that became the dark blue sections, and the white circle in the center. The last bit was placing the TAC crest.

That also reminds me, this profile is set after 1979, since that's when the FIS squadrons transferred to TAC from ADC, which is reflected in Logan's text on the profile.

Offline Matt Wiser

« Reply #747 on: June 05, 2015, 11:48:49 AM »
Logan: what's the warload? Four AIM-7s, Four AIM-9s, and two AIM-54?
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect. But always have a plan ready to kill them.

Old USMC Adage.

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #748 on: June 05, 2015, 11:52:57 AM »
Logan: what's the warload? Four AIM-7s, Four AIM-9s, and two AIM-54?

Yes, the same mixed MIGCAP load we've been using on the USN V-507s. The other two loadouts we've done so far are 4 x AIM-9s and either 6 x AIM-54 or 6x AIM-7.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #749 on: June 06, 2015, 02:29:06 AM »
Arf... Still a big fan of your V-507 profiles Logan  :-*

If you have more of it, I'm interested  :)

Thanks! I think we're going to make you especially happy, dams301. Talos and I have plans...

Cheers,

Logan