Author Topic: LF: 48th scale IFR Probe (source kits would be H-60, H-53, H-47, and H-3)  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Diavel

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
I am in need of an IFR probe from an MH-60 Blackhawk, to fit to my US. Marine corps MH-101 Merlin, in 1/72nd scale. I have built it to look like a modern version of an HH-3 with fuel tanks on pylons fitted to the main landing gear pods, and will fit a radar pod on the nose, so I thought an IFR probe would be a fitting addition too. I am in the UK too.
Cheers
Chris
Just call me the thread killer.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: LF: 48th scale IFR Probe (source kits would be H-60, H-53, H-47, and H-3)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:14:47 AM »
I am in need of an IFR probe from an MH-60 Blackhawk, to fit to my US. Marine corps MH-101 Merlin, in 1/72nd scale. I have built it to look like a modern version of an HH-3 with fuel tanks on pylons fitted to the main landing gear pods, and will fit a radar pod on the nose, so I thought an IFR probe would be a fitting addition too. I am in the UK too.
Cheers
Chris

Does it really have to be sourced from a Blackhawk kit?  There are several siimilar IFR boom/probes in 1:72nd scale that you can find in the HH-53/MH-53/CH-53 Sea Stallion/Super Sea Stallion and the HH-3 Jolly Green Giant kits that might work too.  The parts are all about the same in length and have very similar features. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:25:34 AM »
Cheers
Chris

I left a post on the What-If forum Chris, but I'll do it here too.   I've got a CH-53E probe that's spare, I'm building this model as a 'Marine One' variant

Offline Diavel

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »
Cheers
Chris

Does it really have to be sourced from a Blackhawk kit?  There are several siimilar IFR boom/probes in 1:72nd scale that you can find in the HH-53/MH-53/CH-53 Sea Stallion/Super Sea Stallion and the HH-3 Jolly Green Giant kits that might work too.  The parts are all about the same in length and have very similar features.
Hya Jeff,
It is the way it fits to the fuselage and it is longer than the item from the MH-53, plus it looks more of a bolt on extra, and that is the look I want the Merlin to have. The Merlin will be a medevac helicopter with high speed and long range in mind, to either get wounded personnel from the battle to a land based hospital or to a ship.
Cheers
Chris 

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 01:17:36 AM »
If memory serves, it's teh same probe, just a bolt-on installation on the MH-60 (very "bolt on", the interface fitting with the aircraft fuel system is on the rear dorr frame - had to change out some hardware on it due to corrosion issues while I was contracting at Sikorsky) so you could hse that probe and scratchbuild the rest of the installation.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:40:01 AM »
If memory serves, it's teh same probe, just a bolt-on installation on the MH-60 (very "bolt on", the interface fitting with the aircraft fuel system is on the rear dorr frame - had to change out some hardware on it due to corrosion issues while I was contracting at Sikorsky) so you could hse that probe and scratchbuild the rest of the installation.
@ Evan, commonality of the parts makes sense since it is  the same firm manufacturing both aircraft so the boom would no have to be different just the point where it mates to the airframe. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:59:40 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Diavel

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 01:51:32 AM »
I have been looking at my CH-53 and MH-53J kits, and both of them, the probe glues directly onto the front of the chin/chin bulge. I have built 3 MH-60's with the IFR Probe on and these fit exactly how I want them to fit on the Merlin, hence my choice really.
Cheers
Chris

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 01:57:38 AM »
I have been looking at my CH-53 and MH-53J kits, and both of them, the probe glues directly onto the front of the chin/chin bulge. I have built 3 MH-60's with the IFR Probe on and these fit exactly how I want them to fit on the Merlin, hence my choice really.
Cheers
Chris

If you were pursuing this project in 1:48th scale I would be more than willing to provide assistance as I have a couple extra IFR booms from the Academy MH-60/HH-60 kits.   ;)

*** There is another possible source with the 1:72nd scale Revell of Germany and Italeri MH-47 Chinook kit which includes a rather long IFR boom.  Considering the scarcity of the part in question it never hurts to broaden your search criteria just in case what you are seeking is not available

Offline Diavel

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 02:03:16 AM »
I will dig my MH-47 out of the stash and look at the one on that too, as one of those could well be used instead, and no, I can't steal the one out of the kit, as the Marines would be very annoyed with me  ;D. I have just been up in the loft too, and actually glanced at the MH-47, should have clicked to look at that too. ???
Chris   

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 02:26:04 AM »
I will dig my MH-47 out of the stash and look at the one on that too, as one of those could well be used instead, and no, I can't steal the one out of the kit, as the Marines would be very annoyed with me  ;D. I have just been up in the loft too, and actually glanced at the MH-47, should have clicked to look at that too. ???
Chris

Networking can be fun as it helps provide solutions and it never hurts to explore all options.  I have similar issues when it comes to an idea and I determine that "Part X" is what I need and start the quest for that part and along the way stumble upon something else that works just as well.  Sometimes it is the assistance provided by a fellow modeler that gets me to my objective. 

Offline Diavel

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 03:57:00 AM »
Your absolutely right Jeffry, everyones take on things in our hobby is a worthy piece of advice, and I do my best to remember the help people have given me along the way, as it is priceless wisdom. Now I should widen my scrounge parameters, to include The MH-47 IFR probe, and also a probe for anything else U.S helicopter.
Cheers
Chris 

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »
Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine

Networking can be fun as it helps provide solutions and it never hurts to explore all options.  I have similar issues when it comes to an idea and I determine that "Part X" is what I need and start the quest for that part and along the way stumble upon something else that works just as well.  Sometimes it is the assistance provided by a fellow modeler that gets me to my objective.

Not only that, but few are such knowledgeable resources as you for bouncing ideas off of, Mr Fontaine.

Brian da Basher