General Category > Good/Bad Trader Alerts

Humbrol Acrylic Spray Varnish - Doing My Head In!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Buzzbomb:
Bit of a pity the industry standard for so many years has gone off the boil with quality. Sign of the times I suppose. Still have a tin of Extracolour Satin which still works after 20 odd years.

For dead flat  I now use either Testors dullcoat, when I can find it, or the SMS brand of flat which is an acrylic laquer. I have had a couple of occasions where the SMS went a bit whitish, probably due to humidity, but a light over spray of Laquer thinner fixed that up.

For pure acrylic, Gunze still works most of the time... with the priviso of the above, if you get the whitish haze, an over spray will generally fix it.

Claymore:
Thanks guys, I will try and get my hands on some of your alternative suggestions.

In the meantime, I have placed an order with a new company (to me anyway) down in Manchester for a product called ‘MTN PRO ACRYLIC VARNISH 400ML’ - comes in gloss, satin and matt. Will see what it’s like - half the price and twice the content of Humbrol too… 🤞

Frank3k:
Some of the clear flat acrylics - especially Tamiya's - are meant to be "thinned" or mixed with other paint (or clear). Otherwise, you get that dreaded white haze.

Robomog:
I share your pain.  I've been whingeing about  Humbrol Matt varnishes for some time now

I'm going to get some of the aforementioned and give them a try

Mog
>^-.-^<

Old Wombat:

--- Quote from: Buzzbomb on August 18, 2023, 06:55:43 AM ---I have had a couple of occasions where the SMS went a bit whitish, probably due to humidity, but a light over spray of Laquer thinner fixed that up.

--- End quote ---

Ah! Good to know! That happened to the TC & mg's on the Ukrainian Merkava, now I know how to fix it! :smiley:

Almost definitely humidity related (& I ignored the signs), as the large grains of salt left on the painting table, after the salt & hairspray adventure in weathering, had become little spots of water overnight.

And I've stopped using Humbrol clear coats of any type because, apart from the matt & satin versions going grainy-white, they all cause the underlying paint to re-liquefy & run (no matter how light the coat).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version