General Category > Good/Bad Trader Alerts

Humbrol Acrylic Spray Varnish - Doing My Head In!

(1/3) > >>

Claymore:
Not sure if this has been covered before, but I would be surprised if it hasn’t. 

I am sick to death with Humbrol acrylic spray varnishes (satin and matt in particular) and their crap finish - both leaving a dusty white residue. I have read many, many times that it is because they put too much matt agent in their product and that it tends to separate out - really?  Why haven’t they changed their mix?

I have always regarded Humbrol as being a classic and trusted company but the number of complaints I have come across makes me wonder. Only a vast amount of time and effort has potentially saved my latest model project from being declared a complete write off thanks to their dreadful product.  I will not be using them again!

Yours,

Mr Very Pissed-Off of the Highlands! 🤬🤬

raafif:
Had the same result from bottle Tamiya acrylic paint.

Now that Testors has gone, I stick to tins of Humbrol enamel. :icon_nif:

Claymore:
I don’t mind their paint although I tend to stick to acrylics - Tamiya for airbrush and Revell for the old hairy stick. It’s Humbrol’s acrylic matt and satin varnish I have the real issues with!

Frank3k:
I've been using the AK Interactive Matte Varnish (3rd Gen) as well as their Satin and both work well. The Vallejo Matt Varnish works well, too - although don't mix the AK nd Vallejo; even though they're both acrylics, the chemistries are incompatible.

The Big Gimper:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on August 18, 2023, 12:46:17 AM ---I've been using the AK Interactive Matte Varnish (3rd Gen) as well as their Satin and both work well. The Vallejo Matt Varnish works well, too - although don't mix the AK nd Vallejo; even though they're both acrylics, the chemistries are incompatible.

--- End quote ---

Good to know this Frank.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version