Author Topic: Douglas A-3 (A3D) Skywarrior and B-66 Destroyer  (Read 35077 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Douglas A-3 (A3D) Skywarrior and B-66 Destroyer
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 01:18:24 AM »
Thanks Talos,  why was the radome so big though ?

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 01:26:44 AM »
The radar was mounted pretty far forward, the radome forward of that is pretty normal.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 08:21:59 AM »
How about an operational version of that?  ;D

There should be enough space for internal carriage of at least two AIM-54s in a shallow internal bay or four in a deeper bay. With folding fins you could probably even do a revolver magazine for five or six missiles.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »
OK, so what's the story behind this great big radome ?

Source page: Flevo Aviation Hobby
BuNo.144834 RA-3B Skywarrior

Converted to NRA-3B July 1974 and to TNRA-3B Jul 1985. To AMARC as 2A0125 Sep 7, 1990. Bailed to Raytheon.  Last served with VAQ-34 based at NAS Point Mugu, CA.

Extra Info: As many as six RA-3Bs were modified as NRA-3Bs for use for various test purposes. One of these NRA-3Bs (144834) was again modified to be the sole TNRA-3B as a two-seat training aircraft. However, dual controls were not actually fitted before the aircrat was delivered. 144843 was bailed to Raytheon and used for tests and evaluation during the Patriot surface-to-air missile program.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »
How about an operational version of that?  ;D

There should be enough space for internal carriage of at least two AIM-54s in a shallow internal bay or four in a deeper bay. With folding fins you could probably even do a revolver magazine for five or six missiles.

That looks really cool. The only thing I would change is strip off the gun (unneeded for a Missileer), maybe the IRST too, and tweak the nose some so it matches the real-world test birds a little more.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
A-3 Missileer is one sweet concept.
Deserves to be kitbashed.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 11:10:28 AM »
The Missileer makes me sorry to have donated my 2 Hasegawa Whales.... ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GaryF

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2016, 01:09:57 PM »
Anyone find any images of the A-3 FAD Missileer proposal?  Especially the J-79 engine pods?  Wonder if a pair of B-58 engine pods would work? Guessing they wouldn't have had AB's ...

thanks

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2016, 02:20:12 PM »
Hi Gary!  Good to see you surface here at BTS. 

I suppose you could get away with using the B-58 engine pods and just skip the AB features.  Maybe even shorten it up on overall length of the nacelle to account for no AB?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GaryF

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »
Hi Jeff.  I'm around just quiet, but should be getting some build time more often.  Been wanting to do an A-3 for a while and then found this thread.  Could be some fun. Now to find some engine pods.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2016, 01:36:16 AM »
Hi Gary,

Lurking is okay too.  I had not seen or heard from you in a while.  Figured your move to the California desert was taking up most of your time.  Nonetheless, great to see you here at BTS! 

I was excited to see Trumpeter release the TA-3 but that soon turned to bitter disappointment when I discovered the wing stores pylon (shown on box art) was not included in the kit. 

Have had a strong interest in the A-3 but not OOB :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »
Anyone find any images of the A-3 FAD Missileer proposal?  Especially the J-79 engine pods?  Wonder if a pair of B-58 engine pods would work? Guessing they wouldn't have had AB's ...

thanks

See here:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GaryF

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 05:08:28 AM »
Thank you!!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2016, 07:57:27 AM »
I like that inboard (between engine and fuselage) stores pylon. 
Perhaps a fuel tank could be mounted in that position?  :)

Offline GaryF

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »
Yeah I like the extra stores station too.
Trying to decide which way I want to go ... the big bulbous radome or the one with the Tomcat radome (and maybe tandem canopy as in CherneyAkula's profile).
Btw Jeffry, I'm still here in WA although I've gone down to China Lake for a few visits. Now also have 4 feral kittens we found in the yard down there. Got them all fixed, shots, bloodwork, etc, and trying to turn them into pets so eating a lot of would be model time but fun still the same.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2016, 12:55:59 PM »
Wish Steel Beach would consider producing the missing wing pylons.  I have asked him a couple of times to consider doing this but I guess it all comes down to good reference drawings and images to make it happen.

@GaryF - Good luck with the kitten project.  Hope they all convert to domesticity without issues. :)

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
What if a Business/Pasenger/Cargo version of Skywarrior?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »
What if a Business/Pasenger/Cargo version of Skywarrior?

Carlos,

The TA-3 would work for that mission as it had no bomb bay and that area was fitted with seats and controls to train bombardier/navigators.  Some were actually converted to carry passengers as VIP aircraft for general officers/flag officers.

Offline GaryF

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2016, 03:38:32 AM »
Hi Jeffry,

Digging in my resin stash and found an ERA-3 conversion which has the wing pylons (72nd).  They are identified as Aero 7 pylons/release units, if it helps any. I probably have everything I need to do this in 72nd but would have to dig deep to get it all out, but would rather do it in 48th.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2016, 05:00:13 AM »
In my own research I noticed a very strong similarity in shape between the A-1 (AD) Skyraider pylons and the A-3 (A3D) Skywarrior pylons and it might work for a 1:72nd scale kit to try and use the 1:48th scale pylons with a 1:72nd scale A-3.  Unfortunately there is nothing I know of in 1:32nd scale that is cheap or available to do the same for a 1:48th scale Skywarrior.  I mention this as it might be a means for anyone building the A-3 in 1:72nd scale to source said pylons for a similar project. 

Offline GaryF

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2016, 04:09:25 PM »
 Anyone aware of any AEW Skywarrior proposals or testbeds?

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2016, 07:21:54 PM »
Anyone aware of any AEW Skywarrior proposals or testbeds?
Well, not exactly AEW, but there's that one with the AWG-9 in the nose and there's one with a "small" rotodome on an extension of the fuselage past the vertical tail.  Both were originally USN aircraft but were later sold to, and flown by, Thunderbird Aviation.

Offline GaryF

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2016, 04:54:28 AM »
Yeah the one with the Tomcat radome and Phoenix would be interesting. Guess they've also been fitted with F-111B, F-35 radomes and one pic I found sure looked like a Global Hawk radome.  Bu I was thinking more along the lines of an E-1 or E-2 type roof mounted system ... picked up a TA-3B and the bomb bay area crew setup would work out great for something like that.

***edit to add image for GaryF that he sent to my eMail from his phone.-jjf
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:14:44 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2016, 05:09:02 AM »
one pic I found sure looked like a Global Hawk radome. 

Can you post that here?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »
Definitely an odd looking A-3 with that strange radome attached.