Author Topic: Profiling Techniques  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Damian

• Some of his profiles take longer to do than kits I've made...
  • Did you miss me?
Profiling Techniques
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »
Thanks finsrin!

Curtiss R5C-2L USN VX-6 by mtpalmer1, on Flickr

Just going through your profiles have you thought about adding a shading layer to thr top of your profiles? I did a quick and nasty of the above pic as an example, it makes the roundness of the fuselage more readable, I also added a high light later above that in overlay to bring the high light you had in place out.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Profiling Techniques
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 12:03:11 AM »
I understand what you're going for there, damian, and I know a number of profilers employe that method, but I actually avoid it in mine since it's unnatural in photos.  I think mine come out alright, it's just a matter of how you do it.  There are multiple ways of achieving the same effect visually.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline scorchio

• Does the odd profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:37:09 AM »
I'd add the shading across the bottom of the vertical stab where it meets the fuselage rather than along the top edge of the fuselage itself.

The effect is similar to the results of an Ambient Occlusion pass in 3D CGI and often runs close enough to that upper fuselage highlight to draw attention to it in the way that darkening the upper fuselage would.

I think adding slightly more muck, oil, dust and dings on the upper surfaces may also help to achieve that effect in a more natural way than artificially shading it as well.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:24:33 AM »
t
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.