Author Topic: Shack attack Singapore.  (Read 1477 times)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
Shack attack Singapore.
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:03:42 PM »
The sea's around Singapore became pirate infested in the early 1950's.  WW11 equipment was used to assault shipping including private vessels, and it had to be stopped.
The RAF ordered 52 MR3 Shackletons  but, as is now the norm, the Defence Review of '56 cut that to 33.  This meant it was easy to provide Singapore with 7 MR3S models to replace the 7 Beaufighters gifted in 1954 that were suffering from overuse due to the large area being covered.

The MR3S retained the mud upper turret that was removed by the Brits and South Africans, and added two guns under the tail to keep the heads down on vessels flown over.  These were fired by a gunner prone in the tail and meant a flatter take off to avoid them striking the runway.  Mid upper and tail were .50 cal while the nose 20mm were kept.

To appear less aggressive (failed) SAR was painted behind the cockpit to emphasize the secondary role. 
The MR3S served from mid 1957 to 1978, and is shown in the 1968 to 1973 markings used by Singapore.  Three more airframes were aquired in 1971 for spares reclaimation. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:10:47 PM by pigflyer »
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
Re: Shack attack Singapore.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 10:07:10 PM »
Initially forty ex RAF personnell were taken on, including 17 aircrew, to smooth introduction of the growler into Singapore service, being gradually
cut down after the first year, the last going in 1961.
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 10:27:15 PM »
Great job Porcine-Airborne.   ;D

Real inspiration to one day get around to building my Shack.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:33:39 AM »
That's a great take on the old 'Shack'!

Most excellent, Mr Flyer, most excellent indeed.

Brian da Basher