Author Topic: 1/72 Curtiss Sea Hawk floatplane fighter  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Curtiss Sea Hawk floatplane fighter
« on: December 08, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »
In late 1939, a purchasing commission from the recently independent Lozenge Islands approached Curtiss and asked if they could modify their wildly popular Hawk 75 pursuit by adding floats. Fortunately, the good folks at Curtiss were happy to oblige and thus the Curtiss Sea Hawk floatplane fighter was born.

Deliveries of the new Sea Hawks began in the autumn of 1940 and by 1941, the Lozenge Islands could boast a force of 35 of the new floatplane fighters. This would prove fortunate indeed for the Lozenge Islands and for yet more forgotten history.

Sitting in the north-central Pacific roughly between Formosa and the Philippines, the Lozenge Islands would prove a thorn in the side of Japanese expansionist ambitions and the Sea Hawk would play a pivotal, if almost unknown, role in events.

In late November 1941, the Japanese Admiralty had finished planning their coordinated assault on western and U.S. interests in the Pacific and the gears were already set in motion when it was realized the Lozenge Islands had been completely overlooked. This was an unusual oversight and the commanding admiral of the north-central attack fleet took it upon himself to fix it.

Admiral Sugaru-Dale Hamamoto was a Japanese naval strategist of some renown, mostly known for his proponence of "No-U-Go" small attack fleet tactics. Admiral Hamamoto was one of the most honored men in the Imperial Japanese Navy.

His Toyota flying boat took off for the Achoo atoll, just south of Formosa, home base of the 45687th Sentai bomb wing. Admiral Hamamoto would personally order them to obliterate the tiny Lozenge Islands.

Unfortunately for Admiral Hamamoto, poor navigation caused by storms put him off course. Before the crew could even start evasive maneuvers, a flight of four Lozenge Island Sea Hawks had the flying boat dead to rights. It was forced down and its crew along with the admiral were taken into custody.

It is hard for us today to understand the reverence the Japanese public had for military figures like Admiral Hamamoto. Even the Emperor himself bemoaned his loss and decreed that no military action be taken against the Lozenge Islands lest harm come to the captured Admiral.

Admiral Hamamoto would spend the duration of the war as an "honored guest" of the Lozenge Islands. Periodically, he was visited by representatives of the International Red Cross who assured the Japanese Emperor the Admiral was well cared for. Thus the tiny island republic was never attacked by Japan and became a lone outpost of democracy in the Pacific.

While obsolescent from birth, the Sea Hawk became a legendary bugaboo of the IJN and fills its pilots with much fear & self-loathing.

Having grown used to the luxurious treatment, Admiral Hamamoto resisted being repatriated to Japan after the war. He would return to the Lozenge Islands in 1950 and open up a sandwich/notions stand right on the beach where one could get both a ham on rye and a box of 5 Brothers.

The last Sea Hawk was retired in 1954 and sold to an anonymous buyer who, it was rumored, replaced the floats with spatted landing gear.

No evidence of it exists today save for this crude model with locally-produced, short-fun, err short run conversion parts that was available only during the 1968 holiday season in select Lozenge Island stores.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:27:45 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Curtiss Sea Hawk floatplane fighter
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 09:24:43 AM »
This all started when I picked up a 1/72 Mattel-ogram Curtiss P-36 recently. The box art speaks for itself, really.

What can I say? While it's not got many bells or whistles, it's definitely a classic kit and probably still the best, most widely available P-36 in this scale. Not bad for being around as long as I have. Of course, mine would be a little different. Oddly enough, a pair of floats off a 1/72 Sieran were a great fit! Otherwise, the rest of the build was OOB. Here's how things looked before decals.

The model was brush-painted by hand, Poly Scale "WarPac Gray" and Model Masters RAF Sky were used on the uppers and Model Masters RAF Sky Blue on the undersides. The canopy was tinted with Model Masters Insignia Blue.

Now about those decals. The blue parts were RAAF SEAC markings but the lozenge parts were from a sheet for a W.W. I Fokker Flying Razor monoplane.

Sometimes it's almost eerie how two things that aren't supposed to go together can combine so well.

The fuselage codes are almost as old as the P-36 kit. They're vintage 1/72 Matchbox Siskin decals and it's a minor miracle they worked so well after 40 years.

I had a lot of fun building this model which took about a week from start to finish.

I hope you enjoyed my Curtiss Sea Hawk and reading a little more forgotten history of the Lozenge Islands and Admiral Hamamoto.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 07:15:37 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 04:25:27 AM »

long live floatplanes !

and using lozenge patterns in the roundels is a nice idea!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
Brian: You are the prince of plastic! You can take any sleeping kit and with kiss of glue and paint awaken it from deep sleep and turn it into a flying princess.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 08:46:28 AM »
It looks awesome, Brian! You can really make those senior citizen kits look "on fleek" as kids today say.

Are those Serian floats from the Arii 1/72 Serian? If so, they're the best part of that kit!

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:28:54 AM »
<snip>
Are those Serian floats from the Arii 1/72 Serian? If so, they're the best part of that kit!

Yup, they're from the Arii Serian. Many thanks for the warning. The rest of that kit is lurking for me in the basement, just waiting to for the right moment to strike.

Oh, and in my attempt to corner the 1/72 P-36 market, I recently acquired two of  the Arii version (one re-boxed by UPC). I might need to re-stock the bar before I tackle them...

Very interesting, the differences between the Monogram, Arii and Heller P-36 kits. All seem to have their merits, but I think the Monogram one is the best of the lot.

I'm really chuffed you guys liked this one. I had a blast with it!

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:35:24 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 04:26:53 AM »
Brilliant work, Old Man! The roundels are inspired, and that is a sweet little build and concept. I hoist a mango to you, sir!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »
Sitting in the north-central Pacific roughly between Formosa and the Philippines, the Lozenge Islands
I enjoyed this floatplane and unknown roundels  :) but... being close to the Philippines is not being "in the middle of nowhere" but close to the center of the World (my wife is Filipina, like most beauty queens)...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 03:53:06 PM »
So that is other part of Hawk 75 saga.
Another great build, another piece of history. :)
Appreciate the geography information.  One of those things I had missed.
Might ask travel agent about trips/stays there.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 04:44:14 PM »
Looking good Brian.  With that set of floats your Curtiss could almost be a companion for the Northrop N-3PB that were built for the Norwegians. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 02:32:34 AM »
Perhaps the Lozenge Islands should also have float-equipped A-17's or SBD's for the offensive portion of their defense forces?