Author Topic: Airbus A310/A400 Un-prepared Airfield Airliner  (Read 45635 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Airbus A310/A400 Un-prepared Airfield Airliner
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2019, 02:02:23 AM »
 :smiley: thanks

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2019, 02:48:27 AM »
impressive !

It is indeed! I love your eye for detail - like that Beluga-type dorsal fin  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2019, 03:41:06 AM »
Thanks Steven, I had compared the A400 fin/rudder to the A310's, and it dwarfed it, so thought my project needed a bit more fin. But until you just told me about the Beluga fin, I hadn't realized it had a dorsal fillet. Looking at photos just now I see what you mean, it's almost the same isn't it   :-\
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 03:44:12 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2019, 04:38:04 AM »
The spinners come in two halves, front & back ends. The back end I've already glued to the pin in the nacelle and I've glued the props to the front ends of the spinners.

Here I've just taped the prop/spinner to the nacelle/spinner,   just so I can see it as it will be   :P   

I'm not going to glue them on for a while yet, I want to get the sponsons and some of the main paint on first before I do that.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:40:46 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2019, 07:05:34 AM »
Looking like a right and proper aeroplane! :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2019, 07:12:24 AM »
Looks very right!
Some left over fuselage parts there. Submarine? Spaceliner?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2019, 08:25:48 AM »
Thanks Jeff, kerick -----

When I first started this project I had realized that there would be quite a bit left over. So what to do with them ? Well the box under the model should maybe give you a clue  --- that's because it's another one I picked up. My plan is to do a 'stretched' A400, I'll call it an A400-30 and it will be for the RCAF. I've already got some neat decals for it, the Revell box art calls it a Grizzly, in RCAF service it would be called a Kodiak, a bigger grizzly.

So here's a paper print of the decal I've got for it already, I'll work it into a camouflage scheme. The decal I've got is actually one of the greys that RCAF transport aircraft have. CanMilAir did it for me after I sent Bill a file of the bear I made up. And the spare parts from the second A400M will go towards the BAe 844 I have plans to make. I've got parts of another A310 to do that.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 08:32:20 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2019, 12:00:57 PM »
That bear looks awesome! Nice idea.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2019, 11:14:01 PM »
Do you have just the one Kodiak or two mirrored ones? ???

I'm not a great transport fan (I realise their importance, I just don't find them that interesting) but this build is looking great! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2019, 01:25:02 AM »
Two mirrored ones Guy, I had made the bear image and then asked Bill at CanMilAir if he could print it for me, along with some modified CC-177 decals. I had him scale those down to 1/83 scale so they would fit the A400M. You can see the size difference in the pic below.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2019, 08:22:50 AM »
Cool! 8) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2019, 04:19:17 AM »
Cool! 8) :smiley:

It is indeed! So, Airbus CC-179 Kodiak?

Thanks Steven, I had compared the A400 fin/rudder to the A310's, and it dwarfed it, so thought my project needed a bit more fin. But until you just told me about the Beluga fin, I hadn't realized it had a dorsal fillet. Looking at photos just now I see what you mean, it's almost the same isn't it   :-\

I love stories like that. How many times do we whif something only to find out that it's already Real World  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2019, 04:50:28 AM »

So, Airbus CC-179 Kodiak?

I like the sound of that   :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2019, 04:26:20 AM »
Got some more done but not all to the plan   ::)

Originally I thought I could put the nose u/c leg from the A400 where the nose u/c leg is on the A310. It seemed to work when I was offering parts up so I could get a visual on it. So I cut out a hole in the underside of the nose for the A400 nose wheel bay to fit, then assembled the nose gear and then did a measurement.  It didn't work -----  I then had to move the wheel bay back down the fuselage until it would work, I did this at 10mm at a time.

Top pic show just how much I had to cut it back (you can also see where I had to dig out all the Gorilla Glue I had poured in to fix the nose weight back in place). Second pic shows where the wheel bay fits in and the bottom pic is the piece of styrene card that will have to be put in to fill the hole up. I've used some thick card here, shaped it as best as it would go, and once it's all glued in so that there's more sticking out on the outside, I'll then have to sand it down to the shape of the compound curves the nose has.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:50:25 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2019, 04:30:41 AM »
Top two pics here are of the nose wheel bay I assembled (but not totally glued together yet). Bottom pic shows I now have the two main gear sponson at the same assemble point. There's some more painting to the landing lights at the front, then there's a couple of decals to go in each one which is also part of the landing lights, then the landing lights windows have to be glued in before I can button it up.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2019, 05:54:29 PM »
That's damned good work, mate! 8) :smiley:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
Landing gear is toooo good.  Know the rest will be.  :smiley:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2019, 08:57:54 PM »
Thanks Guy, Bill ---

The nose bay and styrene card are now all glued in yesterday evening, I'm letting the glue thoroughly dry before starting the sanding process. Meanwhile I'll press on with the sponsons. I really need to get these fitted on so I can glue the wing in place. I think I will paint up the nose gear and get the nose wheels glued on, going to need them so they don't fall apart while I'm fitting the sponsons. After that, on to the main painting ---- at least that's the plan   ::)

I bought a set of the Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal landing gear but I'm a bit disappointed with them, the metal is much too soft. I'm now wondering if it will hold the weight over time, I had some sets like that before (not SAC ones by the way) where I left the model sitting on the shelf (a couple of P-47's), came back a few months later and all the models u/c legs had all folded forward by themselves.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 09:30:54 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2019, 09:37:27 PM »
The nose bay area sanded up quite well, I was going to spray the area up with primer outside today but it's pissing down with rain so it will have to wait.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2019, 03:45:33 AM »
Got some more done but not all to the plan   ::)

Youch ... plenty of extra work there! Nice looking work though (the irony being that, when finished, all this trial-and-fit will be invisible!).

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2019, 04:57:30 AM »
It's always a great pleasure to see your incredible kit engineering and follow along.

Many thanks for the play-by-play!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2019, 05:23:20 AM »
Thanks Steven, Brian ---

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2019, 08:01:13 AM »
So I've figured out how much the sponsons have to be to the fuselage ---- but I've hit a snag.  The Plan was to sand the inside of them to suit the fuselage using my pipe sanding block. Problem is I'll have to sand way too much off the top side of the sponson which will then reduce the width of the track because the bottom of the wheels have to be at a certain measurement from the bottom of the fuselage.  Not what I wanted --- so on to Plan Delta  ;)  Just have to figure out how to make Plan Delta work   :-\

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2019, 05:09:11 AM »
Some pics of where it's at:

After sanding the nose gear bay to shape I sprayed it with white primer, it changed the perspective and/or reference marks and I think I've got to redo where the bay is located  :-X it looks a little off now  (top pic). I also had to do some adjustments to the tail group which means I've got some tidying up to do there as well. To help with the references, I photo-copied the windshield decal and taped it into position after cutting it out. This definitely helps orientate things better. I've got to figure out how I'm going to mark the outline of the decal now so I get it in the same position when I actually apply the decal but the forward fuselage will be all white.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:45:50 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2019, 05:20:53 AM »
That's some fine progress and I like the livery you've got planned.

Brian da Basher