Author Topic: dy031101's Mental Notes  (Read 318250 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- In The Meantime......
« Reply #400 on: November 28, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »

In units that are hastily-raised or engaging in particularly-desperate fighting, re-activated reserve vehicles with their main guns rendered unserviceable by age or other reasons are known to be returned to service by simply mounting the heaviest infantry anti-tank weapons those units have access to, such as large-calibre recoilless rifles, shaped-charge projectors, or anti-tank missile launcher tubes.

Illustrated above involves replacing the turret with a simple shielded mounting for a 106mm recoilless rifle.

Comment and suggestions are welcomed.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:05:42 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Another Question
« Reply #401 on: November 28, 2015, 09:51:11 PM »
Not far off from what the Irish experimented with.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #402 on: November 29, 2015, 07:27:20 AM »
Interesting
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- In The Meantime......
« Reply #403 on: November 30, 2015, 01:31:30 PM »

A halftrack testbed fitted with the 2-man autoloader turret.  This setup is a demonstrator and not mass-produced although a halftrack mobile gun system based on a truck chassis is.

Note the Malyutka launcher rails flanking the turret bustle.  Beyond their originally-intended anti-vehicle use, they see much employment as a mean of delivering thermobaric warheads as well.

In this example, the base vehicle's similarity to a certain tank that became famous in the ancient history of the Armies of Frontier Nations' homeworld is not lost on too many people.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #404 on: January 24, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »

Inspired by the story of a captured T-35 being used as a command tank of an Elefant tank destroyer unit.

Now I need an excuse as to how a 120mm rifled gun (as used on Conqueror heavy tank and/or Conway tank destroyer) would find its way onto a KV-5......
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:35:25 PM by dy031101 »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #405 on: January 24, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »
Has its own style and character. :)

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Rushing Is A Bad Idea
« Reply #406 on: March 31, 2016, 10:27:00 AM »

Spent all this time re-thinking the turret configuration of this tank (this project was undertaken in a rush for the sake of the Clear Your Bench GB...... as I've come to realize, rushing is a bad idea.  I still fully-intent on finishing it, however, just gonna use my head a bit more)...... since the height of the hull is taller, the profile of turret itself was kept low via a carousel autoloader and oscillating turret roof over the main gun.  The tank now has a crew of five (commander, turret gunner, hull gun-launcher gunner, hull gun-launcher loader, and driver; the old configuration has a turret loader, who is meant to retrieve ammunitions for the turret main gun completely from the bustle magazine, as well).

Now put a machinegun at commander's cupola and I think I'll be good to go for colouring......

My amateur opinion, of course- comments and suggests are welcomed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:05:11 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #407 on: June 05, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
I am undertaking anti-burnout procedures.  You know what I mean  :-X

During the Sage invasion of Earth 20 years ago, Vittorio Veneto ended up with her superstructure all but demolished when the pan-European naval battle group she was a part of was overwhelmed by a large swarm of suicide drones.  Barely surviving the ensuing retreat, she was then rebuilt with an AEGIS combat system into a command ship for fleet air defense operations, allowing effective coordination of firepower deployed from less-sophisticated wartime-expedient guided missile frigates that such a command ship would spend the rest of the war leading.

Soon after the war, she, along with many other refurbished surplus warships from the national militaries across the Homeworld, were transferred to the then-nascent Taskforce Frontier Nations, becoming part of the Frontier Navy's first-generation capital ships lineup.  As sufficient number of new-construction AEGIS warships begin filling the ranks within the Frontier Navy, those first-generation warships still in service and not yet transferred to Foreign Auxiliary are concentrated within the 7th Fleet.  Although no longer quite the go-to ship to lead expeditionary strike groups nowadays, she is active in testing and developing new technologies and new techniques, including the New Threat Upgrade Mk.II programme that involves full-spec. Cooperative Engagement Capability and CEAMOUNT active electronically-scanned array illuminator.

As part of global emergency naval construction programme during the Sage invasion of Earth 20 years ago, two more Luigi Durand De La Penne class destroyers were ordered.  Both were transferred to the Frontier Navy after the war and ended up, in addition to the New Threat Upgrade Mk.II trial, involved in the evaluation of Sampson radar.

Spruance class destroyers that survived the Sage invasion were transferred to the Frontier Navy upon the latter's establishment.  They received a limited upgrade during the war to allow for the use of SM-2MR missiles, and during Frontier Navy service certain aging electronics were replaced with more-available items from Europe.

Built and acquired in a similar manner as the Luigi Durand De La Penne class destroyers; different from the first batch in the use of European- and American-made sensors and weapons adopted out of concerns over production constraints but ending up offering some degree of maintenance commonality with other Frontier Navy warships when they were declared surplus and transferred.

The design of the Maestrale class frigate was altered to provide a general-purpose wartime expedient, not much unlike the Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate, to equip the global naval efforts against the Sages in the war 20 years ago.  Many surviving examples ended up in the Frontier Navy's inventory.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:08:25 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #408 on: July 25, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
Work on "Leman Russ" MBT is expected to resume next week.

In the meantime......

Another allied "hybrid" cruiser-carrier upgraded along with the airwing she carries under the watchful eyes of the Armies of Frontier Nations by the defense industry of the latter's homeworld.  The ship's outdated subsonic anti-aircraft missiles are replaced with Barak 1 missile system utilizing a trainable box launcher, new command and control system was installed to facilitate interoperability with other allied forces, and her VAK-191 interceptors are upgraded with a new radar and the capability to launch MICA missiles, improving these interceptors' ability against their primary targets- lone or small formations of bombers carrying anti-ship missiles- and giving them a fighting chance against the best fighters fielded by hostile forces, should they encounter enemy fighters in the sky.

==============================================

Allied forces engaged in fighting against the most technologically-advanced client of the League of Kings warlord alliance developed the so-called Standard-Phoenix missile family to better deal with aerial saturation attacks.  Individually they are not as powerful as the AEGIS warships of the Frontier Navy or the newest anti-aircraft cruisers of the said League of Kings client army, but they manage to out-perform most non-AEGIS allied and hostile surface combatants.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:22:08 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #409 on: July 25, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
Nice!

Is that Sadral fitted to the CFA DDGs?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #410 on: July 25, 2016, 11:27:58 PM »
Is that Sadral fitted to the CFA DDGs?

Yes since there is no RAM in the universe those ships come from.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #411 on: August 01, 2016, 08:30:44 AM »
An idea in light of this.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:33:19 AM by dy031101 »

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #412 on: August 01, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »
Nice look
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline dy031101

« Reply #413 on: August 10, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »

The story so far: I want to put a heavy-bolter-inspired weapon on a remote weapon station...... and I've always had an awful sense of scale......

Inspirational reference:

Comments and suggestions will be welcomed.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:58:56 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #414 on: August 17, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »

Lorraine 40t upgraded with T-72 turret.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #415 on: August 22, 2016, 02:47:33 AM »
...... and I've always had an awful sense of scale......

It looks like my awful sense of scale is gonna be the least of my problems here  ;D

Agreed?

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Next post on this matter will come when I either reach a major milestone or hit a major blocker and need some advise (like what I thought this one to potentially be  :-X)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:44:37 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #416 on: August 22, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »
Cool! Breach-loading mortar for indirect fire! Neat! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline dy031101

« Reply #417 on: August 22, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »
Cool! Breach-loading mortar for indirect fire! Neat! :)

The weapon on top of that commander's RWS is a 25mm rocket-propelled projectile repeater with a massive muzzlebrake......

Unless you are talking about the hull-mounted gun, which is a 152mm gun-launcher (HE/HESH/ATGM).

But now that you've come up with the idea......

Which one do you think would be more useful in the commander's sub-turret if I turn this tank into 3D?  A 60mm mortar or a 45~47mm gun?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:21:46 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #418 on: September 04, 2016, 11:55:46 AM »

While it looks like I've been distracted, this is actually me "jotting down" notes of inspiration for my next project.....  The sub-turret is just a place holder, of course, merely to demonstrate that it's to be mostly cylindrical and armed with a 60mm gun-mortar and a 12.7mm MG.  I'll figure out how to do a high-angle mount for that gun-mortar somehow......

Now I can return to the regularly-scheduled work......

Nonetheless, I have a few questions- does anyone know how much bigger or smaller a 60mm Brandt gun-mortar (as used by the AML-60) is compared to the Russian 45mm tank gun?  I couldn't find the silhouette graph for that weapon.

Should I expect a longer or shorter recoil distance for the mortar (compared to the Russian 45mm gun)?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:48:44 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #419 on: September 12, 2016, 09:35:24 AM »
As I continue to slowly juggle through details, it dawned on me that I hadn't paid much attention to crew access......

Do you see sufficient aid for crewmen to climb up from the side to access the hull top hatches?  What more would you recommend me to do?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #420 on: September 12, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
A little guy like him would need more hand & foot holds of some sort, at least 1 more set of each.

I might make it but I'm 190cm tall.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline dy031101

« Reply #421 on: September 13, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »
A little guy like him would need more hand & foot holds of some sort, at least 1 more set of each.

Does this improve the situation any?

Also, how much would the hull armour be compromised as a result of drilling holes to mount the screws?

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #422 on: September 13, 2016, 03:58:59 PM »

Yes, lots! :)

Also, how much would the hull armour be compromised as a result of drilling holes to mount the screws?

Not really. Look how many bits are bolted onto modern armoured vehicles without significant compromise. ;)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #423 on: September 13, 2016, 05:24:57 PM »

Yes, lots! :)

Not really. Look how many bits are bolted onto modern armoured vehicles without significant compromise. ;)

I recall something several years back about perforated armour being as effective as solid panels but much lighter.  Testing apparently demonstrated that if a weapon is capable of defeating the perforated armour it would also be capable of defeating a solid plate of equivalent thickness.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #424 on: October 11, 2016, 02:14:39 AM »
taiidantomcat's several interesting digital kitbashes made me want to get in on the act for a bit.  And since real-life is finally cutting me some break again......

Continuing a previous idea of repurposing the VK4502(P) into a "medium" tank, this one is very-slightly lengthened and widened to accommodate a copy of the Pz68/88 turret:

I am still aware where my priority lies, however  :-X

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:39:10 PM by dy031101 »