Author Topic: This build is to shut Scooterman up! A patrol bomber Spruce Goose. Sort of.....  (Read 26450 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Started work now on the fuselage. Wow, this thing fits like hell. I'll have an easier time fitting a pair of sea urchins into a Speedo. The easiest way is to work from the tail forward in increments and sling Squadron White at any gaps. I may need to use some internal shims to get the forward fuselage to match up. I can assure you that when the time comes to put the wing assembly on, there's gonna be gaps fore and aft of the wings. Some dry fitting out of curiosity tells me I may also need to use some styrene shims to get the wing to sit right on the fuselage.

I don't remember having all that problem with the HK-1 I built a few years ago SC, and I painted mine all silver too  ---
Mind you, it was the Minicraft kit that I had
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:55:09 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Dang nice.  What a wing with those engines.  Right on !
I agree, fuselage is not so "precise" fitting shall we say.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane

fit this assembly this side up & props to the rear !!  (B-36 style :) )  Perhaps a bit late for this model ..... but maybe the next ? .......

Sentinel Chicken

Today's progress:

Got the fuselage finally all buttoned up as best as I could. I found that as I fixed one seam/joint and re-aligned another, it cracked open the seam I just fixed. That's right. Sea urchins in a Speedo. The main problem area topside was above the flight deck. What I did here was to use clamps to hold in position as best possible and then glue a thin sheet of styrene over the area and then slinged putty at it to try and contour it into the fuselage lines as best as possible. When I paint this beast, that's still going to be visible but I sized it so it at least looks like it belongs there. Once it was dried, then I removed the clamps and the area held up nicely.

The second area that was pissing me off was just aft of the step on the underside. Same technique here, I cut a sheet of styrene to fit the area, glued it over the seam and then faired it in with putty as best as could be done. Since this is the underside, I wasn't looking for that styrene sheet to match the whole area, I just needed it to look plausible enough since no one's really going to be looking under there who doesn't want to get kicked in the junk.

No, just kidding about that last part. I haven't had to assault a JMN since my last restraining order at a show, wink-wink.

As you can see from the first two shots there's some work being done on the nose. I found my Cobra Company 1/144 Privateer conversion set- picked this one up back in the 1990s at a place in Maryland called "Nostalgic Plastic" that I think's long closed. I'd used some of the parts years ago on a half-finished conversion of the Minicraft Liberator into a Privateer before I gave up on it. So those teardrop blisters are a lost cause thanks to me being more ham-fisted back years ago but the ERCO nose turret was untouched. I cut away a section of the nose and then filled it in with strips of styrene built up in layers that I'll sand down to recontour the nose to fit the nose turret.

The flight deck transparency fits like hell into the the space in the fuselage. I'll have to do a bris or something to that part of the fuselage to get the transparency to fit, let alone sit right.

I'm thinking of taking the waist blisters from the Minicraft 1/144 Catalina kit to use as waist gun positions on this build in addition to other gun positions.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
That's coming along very nicely, Mr Chicken! With six engines, the waist blisters and nose turret, this baby's gonna be a real head-turner!

Brian da Basher

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
Pair of sea urchins in a speedo... that makes me cringe so hard...

The build itself looks ... challenging, but I get the impression the finished product is going to look great!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
The nose turret will make a fine addition!  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
I am amazed by your abilities to build in such a tiny scale.  No matter what the outcome of this project, you sir, have a gift for tarting up the tiny stuff. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
What Jeffery said !!   :D

Sentinel Chicken

Progress shots from yesterday:

The 1/144 Cobra Company resin ERCO nose ball turret in place. When the transparency is in place, you won't be able to see much of the opening behind it. Not sure where the gun barrels are from the original conversion kit, but those are easy crafted from styrene rod. You can see the flight deck is gonna need some work.

Side view of the ERCO turret. I may need to some touch up sanding work to improve the way the sidewalls fair into the rest of the fuselage. If I still have the motivation, I may add a spray guard below the nose turret.

Dry fit of all the major assemblies. It's always great to get this point in a build when you can start to flesh out what you've had visualized in your head. I may decide to stick with the tall single tail as opposed to kitbashing a twin tail assembly. While the Consolidated PB2Y Coronado had twin tails, the even larger Martin PB2M/JRM Mars had a single tail. I may go with some of the features of the Mars like adding smaller cantilevered struts off the floats. There'll be a radar in a "doghouse" fairing above the flight deck which should help camouflage the seam work I needed to do there. The Catalina waist blisters will go behind the wing (obviously) but now jugging what to do about the rest of the defensive armament. I was going to add the B-29's tail gun position under the vertical fin plus a dorsal turret from the Minicraft B-24 kit. The PB4Y Privateer in its later variants had two dorsal turrets, I thought about doing that as well.

I thought about adding a gun turret just aft of each inboard nacelle on the tops of the wing, but that may require more slinging of putty than I want to do as I'll need to a lot of work on the wing/fuselage junctions and possibly the tail gun position depending upon what I did there.

I was reading that the waist turrets on the Privateer when depressed fully downward converged on a point 30 feet below the aircraft which meant that the ventral ball turret could be dispensed with. I'll need to position the Catalina blisters to try and replicate the same effect.

Also now thinking about options for the weapons bay. I was originally going to build bomb bays into the wings, but then I thought with as large as the PBK-1 Tarpon is, I could do it Sunderland style with doors on the sides of the fuselage that open up to rails under the wings that torpedoes, bombs, and mines could be rolled out onto for dropping. I'll need to figure something out before I attach the wing assembly for good.

I loves me the holiday weekends, I can get lots of building done.

Offline finsrin

So interesting to see how this coming together.  Much like I have in work converting Spruce Goose to 1/72.
Am doing same with a Lancaster turret mounted in nose and Catalina side blisters.
Been busy with Spring outdoor stuff.  Inspiring me to get back to building.
Bill

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Wow that nose turret looks great! Detail like that in 1/144 is amazing! Love the "money shot" of it all together too!

You've got me looking very much forward to your next installment, Mr Chicken!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Wing turrets would be natural for this...perhaps a couple of the B-29 remote turrets?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
The 1/144 Cobra Company resin ERCO nose ball turret in place. When the transparency is in place, you won't be able to see much of the opening behind it. Not sure where the gun barrels are from the original conversion kit, but those are easy crafted from styrene rod. You can see the flight deck is gonna need some work.

Amazing amount of detail in that Cobra Company ERCO ball turret. 

Wing turrets would be natural for this...perhaps a couple of the B-29 remote turrets?

Mounted on top and underside of wing would be absolutely wicked in providing a strafing option with anywhere where from *eight to sixteen guns firing forward to service targets of opportunity. 

*If the aircraft is armed with two turrets on each wing containing four-machine guns or two-machine guns would give you eight to sixteen machine guns firing forward plus nose gun turret with two machine guns provides ten or eighteen machine guns.  With all weapons aimed at the same spot it would certainly shred anything in a matter of seconds. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:49:34 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
This is looking great! I wonder if the Minicraft kit is the same as this one. While not impossible, I find it unlikely that two companies would come up with a model of the same unusual aircraft in the same non-standard scale.

The step on the flight deck canopy is going to be fun! Fill in the gap or cut down the step? I guess it depends on which way the transparency fits best. Nice job on fairing in the nose turret!

Offline finsrin

This is looking great! I wonder if the Minicraft kit is the same as this one. While not impossible, I find it unlikely that two companies would come up with a model of the same unusual aircraft in the same non-standard scale.

The step on the flight deck canopy is going to be fun! Fill in the gap or cut down the step? I guess it depends on which way the transparency fits best. Nice job on fairing in the nose turret!

Minicraft is same.  Same step on the flight deck canopy.  Every thing I see any where in pictures is identical.
Only construction techniques here are cleaner and more refined than mine.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
I'll second this suggestion, much like the remote-control ones on the Piaggio P.108 which worked well (the engines, well, that's another story).

Sentinel Chicken

Time to work on the tail gun position. This is the first weekend of the summer for the kids, so after breakfast they all stampeded upstairs to play Xbox, leaving me a bit of undisturbed time to do some work on this kitbash. I used the tail gunner's position from the Minicraft B-29A kit. That kit's vertical fin sucks, so I'd never build the kit as a B-29 anyway so it's now a what-if parts donor as well. I cut away the aft fuselage and removed the vertical fin with a good old fashioned Dremel attack. I found that in 1/144 scale this part of the B-29's fuselage did fit quite nicely as a replacement for the Spruce Goose's tail cone. Fortunately I got the cuts right on the money which should help minimize the amount of putty-sand-repeat-putty-sand-repeat.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
Using a B-29 tailgun is absolutely inspired, Mr Chicken! It looks like it belongs there and those cuts are indeed excellent!

Brian da Basher

Sentinel Chicken

Got a bit more time after the kids all went to bed to try and finish up the tail gunner's position on my kitbash. In this shot I've dry fitted the tail gunner's transparencies as well as the guns and gun fairing. What passes off as the twin guns in the Minicraft B-29A kit is a joke and a half, I'll probably just make some out of styrene rod which will look better. Sprayed the assembly with a light coat of gray to help visualize any spots that might need more putty-sand-repeat. I think I'm about done here, though.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
^ That came out great!!  :D
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
Agree with TT. Looks like it belongs there, too!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Nice bit of kit bashing all around SC'

Offline finsrin

Am following your postings and the agree with the above comments.
This build in 1/144 is soooo much what I have started in 1/72.  Like we read page out of same book.
Six engines, nose and tail guns.  Quite similar kit bashing.

Sentinel Chicken

Working on one of the wing weapons bays:

Had I thought further ahead, it would have been easier to cut out the hole and build this weapons bay before I put the wing halves together, but oh well. I drilled out some pilot holes in the wing where I wanted the weapons bay to be located and then used a razor saw (with Dremel back up) to cut open a rectangular opening just a shade larger then I needed. I was going to do external rails and doors on the fuselage so that bombs and torpedoes could be rolled out under the wings just like the Short Sunderland, but had my fill of working on the ill-fitting fuselage and didn't want to hack more openings into than I already have. So for this what-if PBK-1 Tarpon, there are weapons bays under each inner wing and bombs, depth charges, and torpedoes are rolled into them from fuselage racks.

The weapons bay is just a simple styrene box. I like to use the tiled styrene sheet as it makes it easy to get the rectangular piece for what I'm trying to make- sort of prescored sheet, if you will. I have some other styrene rod and strip pieces for the interior (like the rails) and then I'll more details once I have the weapons bay fitted into the wing. I put in a piece of scrap sprue so the weapons bay has something to support it and it doesn't fall further into the wing.

Weapons bay now in place. I made it just a bit taller than needed so I can sand it down to match the profile of the wing undersurface. Squadron White will be putty-fooed into the gaps and sanded down. I've scratch built undercarriage bays this way, so I know it should work out just fine. On the opposite side I'll have some scratchbuilt doors in the closed position to indicated where that wing's bay is located.