Author Topic: Dragon 1/35 M270 MLRS kit bash  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Dragon 1/35 M270 MLRS kit bash
« on: January 15, 2019, 12:14:19 AM »
This is my Dragon 1/35 M270 MLRS kit bashed with the Panda TOR.

I was inspired by the Russian TOR-M2DT. I just combined mine into one vehicle instead of having two separate ones. I cut out the mounting section for the MLRS rockets as I will reuse it for a different project. I scratch built the mounting base that the TOR sits on. It will be a Gundam Earth Federation Ground Forces system. I am now filling and sanding the scratch built section to get nice clean edges, I hope. Going to work on the big rear radar antenna next. I am notoriously slow when it comes to finishing projects but will try to get this one done. Unfortunately my airbrush broke and I needed to order a new one but it hasn't arrived yet. Even if I had an airbrush I wouldn't be able to paint now because I have to paint outside and it is winter here now and currently 10F degrees out so I have to wait till Spring.

I have a few more what if projects going on at the same time as well. One is the Bandai 1/35 M61A5 that I am adding a Live Resin Secutor to the top of the turret. I have a second Bandai 1/35 M61A5 that I am replacing the turret and adding the Panda Tunguska AA turret and also adding some metal M61 Vulcan cannon barrels. Another project is the Takom 1/35 G6 Rhino that I am replacing the howitzer with the Trumpeter JGSDF Type 87 AW turret. Some preview photos.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Dragon 1/35 M270 MLRS kit bash
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 03:26:36 AM »
Interesting...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 05:37:04 AM »
Very intriguing. That's a lot of firepower coming together there.  Keep the updates coming.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 08:49:28 AM »
Awesome projects!  8) We need more in-progress pics, though. 

Really surprised at how small the Tunguska turret looks on the M61. I knew the M61 was big, but didn't think it was that big!  :icon_surprised:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Ramba

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:09:43 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:10:55 AM »
Very intriguing. That's a lot of firepower coming together there.  Keep the updates coming.

Thanks! Hoping to get some more external bits done on it by the weekend but can't do any painting until spring.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 10:13:21 AM »
Awesome projects!  8) We need more in-progress pics, though. 

Really surprised at how small the Tunguska turret looks on the M61. I knew the M61 was big, but didn't think it was that big!  :icon_surprised:

Thanks! Not much else to show right now but hoping to get some more done by the weekend. Yeah, the M61A5 is huge. Here is the M61A5 upper hull next to an Academy Merkava Mk.III upper hull. The Merkava is a pretty big tank as well.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
Great ideas & good looking WiP's! :smiley: :smiley:

The M61A5 is the (Gundam?) twin-gun Hard Graph MBT, isn't it? Should make for an interesting build. 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:50:01 PM »
Great ideas & good looking WiP's! :smiley: :smiley:

The M61A5 is the (Gundam?) twin-gun Hard Graph MBT, isn't it? Should make for an interesting build. 8)

Thanks!

Yes, the M61A5 is the Bandai 1/35 Gundam kit. I got them after cashing out my credit card rewards points and got some Amazon gift cards that I used to get the kit. Luckily at the time, Amazon actually had them cheaper than anywhere else so I got two. I had so many rewards points that I also was able to get a few other kits. The Takom G6 Rhino and Panda Tunguska were a couple of the other ones.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 12:04:08 AM »
I've got an EBay search going on for one of the M61A5s.  They aren't cheap by any measure...

Offline Ramba

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 12:08:55 AM »
I've got an EBay search going on for one of the M61A5s.  They aren't cheap by any measure...

Amazon had them two months ago for $60 shipped. I was lucky to get them that cheap. They are now back up to almost $100 though.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 04:21:10 AM »
Slowly moving along. I started the rear radar section. It needed a lot of cleanup but I finally got it put together. Shown in the extended and stowed positions. Still need to add the PE and a few small bits to the radar. I also still need to add the missile doors to the top of the TOR. Hopefully get to add those this weekend.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 04:34:09 AM »
Some crazy stuff! I like the way you think. This will look great painted up.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 05:31:55 AM »
Nice work on that very complicated looking antenna!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 05:46:46 AM »
What an ingenious idea!!  :smiley: :smiley:
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »
Thanks again everyone!

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 01:51:28 AM »
. Another project is the Takom 1/35 G6 Rhino that I am replacing the howitzer with the Trumpeter JGSDF Type 87 AW turret.

:-) I picked up a Takom G6 and Gepard for the same reason!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 02:24:57 AM »
. Another project is the Takom 1/35 G6 Rhino that I am replacing the howitzer with the Trumpeter JGSDF Type 87 AW turret.

:-) I picked up a Takom G6 and Gepard for the same reason!

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing yours.