Author Topic: BSG Galactica  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
BSG Galactica
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
greetings everyone

Now, I know I am in the midst of building the BR52, but recent inspiration has taken over and I have dug out my Moebius Galactica build that I started last year and stopped due to diminishing love for it.
It took me almost 2 months just to get the top section of the head finished to a point where I was happy.
Now, I have spent the past few days digging out the spaces where the armour plates meet the ribs to make it look like they actually sit on top as opposed to looking like they are molded on. The work is well worth the effort I think.
So, quick catch up form the start, then I'll show where I am up to to present.

First up, digging out the spaces between the armour plates and the ribs. To start with, this was quite tricky for me, but as time and repartition went on, I got slowly better at it and tidier:

Once the spacers were carved out, I began detailing the head using some renders that are not available online anywhere as reference:

And this is where I am now after a few more days digging and scraping:

OOB on the left - mine on the right:

I was really unhappy with my first attempt at the hangar pods:

So I ripped it all out and have begun a new starting with new lighting:

then adding some walls:

Now I just need to add some ribs, pipes and other bits and bobs and I reckon she'll do nicely. Much happier this time around!
I will get back to the 52 at some point, but I have just taken delivery of the triple decked 2199 Carrier, the Gamilas War Ship set #4 and Command Core Ship which may well take precedence over the 52. They're from the same series as the Astro carrier I just finished and I can't wait to get started on them. Also soon to arrive will hopefully be the BSG Pegasus and I want to do that one up too, so there will be plenty of stuff coming from my workspace soon. I hope to share it with you all as I go (if your interested that is ;) )

Thanks for looking

MH
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: BSG Galactica
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »
Looks gorgeous.  Any chance of you tackling a kit of the original series Galactica?  For some reason, I've a fondness for that one.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:13:31 PM »
Yes indeed - I have that one in the stash to do as well, but that'll be later on in the list
I do love the original series one the best though in terms of design - it hasn't aged at all and still looks fantastic - unlike me.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:07:15 PM »
Yes indeed - I have that one in the stash to do as well, but that'll be later on in the list
I do love the original series one the best though in terms of design - it hasn't aged at all and still looks fantastic - unlike me.
Or me, I was a much younger man when it was new.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 09:22:06 PM »
Almost finished the first hangar bay. I was going to add ribs, and I still might, but I  kinda like it the way I have it now. However, in the interests of accuracy, I  suppose I should add them. Just not sure yet HOW I'll do them

I added those airlock looking protruding bits on the side. You have to look closely to see them in this pic:

And I added some FO's to the entrance. The red LED will be housed inside one of the hangar support legs:

On the other side bay, I will rung the FO threads first then add the wall.
Well, that's it till next week. Probably won't post an update till Tuesday if I find time as it's Expo this weekend.
Thanks again for looking

MH

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:31:59 AM »
Outstanding!

One thing I notice though... in some of the pics you can see where the crew park their cars... lousy parking posts on the outside of the ship. :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:52:58 AM »
The details look great, Mr Hatter!

This one looks like it's going to be a real gem!

Brian da Basher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 06:57:05 PM »
thanks guys. Hopefully, I'll have an update again on Tuesday -if I get anything done. Gonna be a busy weekend this one!