Author Topic: 1/35 Luchs/MLRS kit bash  (Read 10350 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
1/35 Luchs/MLRS kit bash
« on: January 17, 2019, 11:28:41 AM »
Working on another Dragon 1/35 M270 MLRS but this time kit bashed with the Revell SPz Luchs 8x8.

Not sure which way to put the MLRS front cab though. It looks too high when it sits on top. I am leaning more towards the cab in front of the wheels. Looks more streamlined.
Which version do you like better?

I was going for something similar to this. I would need to build the rear cabin area and will probably use the MLRS rocket housing for the top and sides.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: 1/35 Luchs/MLRS kit bash
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »
Cab in front of the wheels with adequate support structure and closeout structure.  Something like moving the cab in the RL picture forward, with all that is underneath it, until the back of the cab is in front of the front wheels.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:09:26 PM »
Definitely go with the lower version. Could the corner of the cab be notched out to allow it to be moved back further?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:22:47 PM »
Definitely go with the lower version. Could the corner of the cab be notched out to allow it to be moved back further?

My thinking, too!

As you say, the cab sitting on top looks way too high but the cab all forward of the wheels looks way over-extended at the front.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 10:00:31 PM »
Thanks! Yes, I thought it stuck out too far forward a bit as well and I might be able to notch the cab a bit where it wouldn't interfere with the seats. Only thing is, if I notch the cab to go back a bit further it might interfere with the wheels.

Here are some other photos I looked at with the cab in front of the wheels. The HEMTT isn't too far forward but the other two go pretty far.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 01:53:24 AM »
The cab up top gives it a very amphibious ops look. Out in front, its is more traditional as per HEMMT etc

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 02:20:45 AM »
Interesting
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 02:24:10 AM »
Thanks all!

The Luchs had an amphibious role but I removed the rear section where the props attach to.

Here are the two different options with the rear area shown. It actually doesn't look too top heavy with the rear section on. In the first photo I want to make the top of the cab level with the rear section so I have to lower the cab a bit. In the second photo I would need to extend the rear area to fill in the rest and I also have to lower the rear section to make level with the top of the cab.

Which looks better?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 03:50:42 AM »
That Luchs/MLRS Cab combination right now looks like the perfect combination for a logistics vehicle. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 04:30:04 AM »
I kinda like the high mount version, its so different. It reminds me a bit of an alvis something-or-other?? Stalwart?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 05:29:03 AM »
The low cab version would have an easier time going under bridges, etc. while also providing a lower profile.
Guy - you're right; The high cab version looks like an Alvis Stalwart, plus it provides a higher profile/better target. Ramba's vehicle looks larger than the Stalwart and taller.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 06:59:33 AM »
The low cab version would have an easier time going under bridges, etc. while also providing a lower profile... The high cab version looks like an Alvis Stalwart, plus it provides a higher profile/better target. ...

All true but the higher cab would provide much better protection from IED, mines, etc.  So decisions, decisions ... cool-looking or survivable  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 06:27:06 PM »
Well, I have a like for all them, but leaning for the higher, more Stalwart type

Offline Kerick

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 11:38:47 PM »
I think both would work. I’m leaning towards the higher version as it fits the length better. The lower would work if you could not have the cab and move it further back.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 12:07:34 AM »
So I am going with the cab in front of the wheels because, I got a Hobby Boss ZTL-11 which looked fine if you just looked at the top of the box. Once you turn the box over, it was crushed. You can actually see a foot print on the box. YUP! Someone stepped on it. Anyway, after opening the box, the upper hull was completely snapped off and the lower hull was also broken but not completely off. I contacted the seller for replacement parts or kit and still waiting for a reply. I am going to put the upper hull on top of the bed and try to fit the turret so it is more centered on the back.

Photos of the box and broken parts.

Test fitting to see how to fit the upper hull and turret. If I put the rear end towards the cab, the turret sits too far back. In the second photo I have to trim the front broken part off at the line just in front of the turret. That might put the turret too far forward though. Going to trim the front part off now and test fit it again.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 05:08:51 AM »
That's some mighty fine thinking and a nice save on the tank hull!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 07:04:59 AM »
That's some mighty fine thinking and a nice save on the tank hull!

Indeed it is. Interested to see how this proceeds ... and here's hoping that you get a bonus replacement kit outta the deal too  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 07:16:34 AM »
I contacted the seller last week but still waiting to hear what they are going to do about replacing the kit or the broken parts.

OK! Here is where I am at the moment. I cleaned up the front of the broken upper hull on the ZTL-11. I will fill in the gap between the rear of the cab and the ZTL hull with plastic card. The holes on the sides will all also get filled in. The turret looks like it sits a little further forward than I like but I aligned it with the Luchs crew access door so it will have to stay. The gun barrel might go past the front of the cab though.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:18:23 AM by Ramba »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 07:35:49 AM »
One fine concept.  :smiley:
On track, keep going as is.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 12:50:05 PM »
Of course if you were to add a third axle in the rear it would solve much of the length problem. I’m not helping, am I?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »
Do you need all of the engine deck at the back? If not you could trim it back a bit.

I play that game sometimes, you can end up with some very complicated cuts to keep the bits you really want to keep but the final result can look very good.

Or you could fit it as per the first variant you showed & have all the mechanicals between the cab & the fighting compartment.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 11:18:24 PM »
Thanks again for the comments.

Good news, the seller is replacing the ZTL-11 upper and lower hull. Bad news is that I have to put the ZTL turret back onto the ZTL-11 kit so the what if MLRS/Luchs needs a new turret. I really like the look of the PLA ZTL-11 so keeping it as is. 

I do have a Revell SPz Puma I am thinking of using the turret from that. The Puma wasn't high on my list of kits to do and the turret is more futuristic looking than the ZTL turret so maybe the Puma turret will be of some use now. I also have the Trumpeter Type 87 Recon Vehicle. This also was not high on my to do list so I could also use the turret from that but it is similar to the ZTL turret but with a 25mm gun instead of the 105mm. The Puma I think is a 30mm gun. Unfortunately I don't have the Puma or Type 87 on me at the moment. They are in NJ at my sister's house so I have to go pick them up. That is a 4 hour drive though so not sure when I am heading back that way. I moved from NJ to PA a few years ago but left some boxes at my sister's house and never bothered to pick them back up and now regretting it hahahaha! I also have a bunch of Model Master enamels sitting there too which I need to get as well. Anyway, I think the Puma turret will look good on the MLRS/Luchs what if.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 11:20:30 PM »
Yes, the Puma turret would look quite the trick, there.  I suspect it also has the advantage of not sticking out beyond the cab.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 12:41:41 AM »
So I went and picked up the Revell Puma from my sister's house and started the turret over the weekend. After fiddling with the location, I think I will settle for where it is shown in the photos below. Not too far forward where the barrel sticks out past the roof and I might still be able to add a secondary M240 by the passenger side hatch on the cab. The rear will be filled in with plastic card.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 06:25:35 AM »
That's looking great!

I think you positioned the turret quite nicely.

Brian da Basher