Author Topic: A submarine of sorts  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: A submarine of sorts
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2023, 05:05:19 PM »
It sprouted a guppy tail when I wasn't looking!

So all the paint is on now so it will be decal time here quickly.

I need to get on with this as next Saturday is the club's "Get out of your comfort zone" challenge reveal.  Decals, touch ups, mount on the base and assembly the band.
At least it doesn't look like this thing.

And you Aussies thought you had all the strange animals! Commonlly known as the Tully monster, it's the Illinois state fossile. Its only found in the Mazon Creek Lagerstätte which is only about 30 miles from my house. A very interesting place if you're into palentology.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullimonstrum

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2023, 09:17:01 PM »
That Tullimonstrum gregarium is certainly a weird one & just goes to show that there ain't nuthin' so weird that Humans can make that Nature can't do weirder! ;D ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2023, 12:13:32 AM »
Thank heavens it’s extinct!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2023, 04:40:54 AM »
Heh. The original was only about two~three feet long, if memory serves. But its very oddness has inspired much, from decorating the sides of U-Haul trailers, to one of the wonkiest theories about the identity of the Loch Ness monster...

(Holiday goes to great lengths to prove that Nessie is a gigantic specimen of Tully monster. Naturally, the cover conveys no hint of this. Anyway, back to the model.)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2023, 03:31:03 PM »
I’ve gotten the decals on. Couple of touch ups and some gloss then the stand. End is in sight

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2023, 04:32:58 PM »
Come to this one late, looking good that Victor fuselage is a perfect shoe-in for a sub :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Kerick

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2023, 05:11:17 AM »
To me it had to be built as a sub or space ship. Then the generous Mr Fontaine sent me a box o parts which included the sub sail so sub it was.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2023, 06:45:43 AM »
<snip>Then the generous Mr Fontaine sent me a box o parts which included the sub sail so sub it was.
There is another pile-o-parts accumulating if you want to go for another round of "whats in the box"...  ;)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2023, 04:08:43 AM »
I'm declaring this model finished!

I'll try to complete the band in HO scale. New paint and a left handed guitar player. Maybe some equipment around the band.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2023, 04:30:45 AM »
Looking 'very finished'.   Such a stand and font, perfect for display.    :smiley:
Beatles made enough money to buy and convert Victor class sub to personal Yellow Submarine.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2023, 05:27:51 AM »
A most outstanding build Ken!

Bravo Zulu!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 05:35:49 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2023, 06:23:55 AM »
Oh, WOW, man! That looks awesome! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2023, 06:45:46 AM »
Looking 'very finished'.   Such a stand and font, perfect for display.    :smiley:
Beatles made enough money to buy and convert Victor class sub to personal Yellow Submarine.

Could you imagine that? And having in dry dock to paint it yellow?

Thanks guys!
The hull was the Victor bomber fuselage, the sail was the only submarine part, rudder and rear plane were junk aircraft parts, the diving planes on the sail were horizontal stabilizers from an Apache helicopter with all the rivets sanded off, the periscopes were pieces of sprue with a curved end and the base was from the back of an old printer I junked. So I didn’t have to buy anything. The decals were printed on my inkjet printer and the color density was a little thin so the orange and yellow background tinted the decal colors. I’ll live with that.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2023, 08:49:59 AM »
Dang, that is a looker! Stunning paint/decal work  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2023, 01:30:37 PM »
Still working on reconfiguring Paul’s arms. George is finished painting as he has the simplest costume. John and Ringo need stripes but I don’t know how that will work. It would be hard enough in 1/35th but HO scale? I managed a fairly decent bass for Paul plus microphones for everyone. I need some shade of purple for Paul’s jacket.