Author Topic: Lockheed Project XO and the Roswell Incident  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Lockheed Project XO and the Roswell Incident
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:13:13 AM »

In the late 1940's, the world was gripped by UFO mania and extraterrestrials seemed to be everywhere.

Fortunately for the U.S. southwest, a potent new prototype was able to answer the call to guard against an intergalactic invasion.

It all began during World War II when Lockheed came up with their revolutionary L-133 Starjet fighter design.

This would lead to the little-known yet infamous failed YP-78 prototype.

Which in turn would lead to the aircraft seen here, top-secret Lockheed Project XO.

The XO project had to be kept top-secret as Lockheed was still in the dog-house over the YP-78 debacle and if it got out they were developing yet another iffy interceptor, heads would roll.

Never given an official designation, the new point-defense jet fighter was simply called The Product in the few surviving government documents.

Internal Lockheed company correspondence refer to the radical design as Project XO.

Since neither Lockheed nor the military ever officially acknowledged this aircraft's existence, we're left to speculate if the XO stood for Xperimental Operations, Xtreme Operations or just Xtremely Odd.

Fortunately for the Free World, Lockheed Project XO was undergoing extensive testing in New Mexico at a secret air strip near the White Sands testing range which is not too far from a small town called Roswell. On July 7th 1947, things would get a little more interesting in sleepy Roswell.

For all appearances, the local military was taking it all in stride even if they couldn't say what they were really thinking.

Publicly, they did their best to explain away anything that might spark panic.

But they knew the truth...

So convinced were they of the threat that the only air asset available at the time was diverted from gunnery tests to interdict the invaders from outer space. The Lockheed XO disengaged from the target range and vectored to an intercept course.

Finally spotting the unidentified flying object, the Lockheed XO tried to get in for a closer look.

At that moment the saucer accelerated and climbed away from the fighter at high speed. All the XO pilot was left with is this recently discovered gun-camera footage.

The Lockheed XO was sent out on additional sorties until other, more capable and numerous aircraft could be called upon to take up patrol.

As far as can be determined, nothing more of the alien invaders was ever found and in 1967 the Air Force finally released its findings to the public in the notorious "Project Brown Book".

We may never know for sure exactly what happened that July in Roswell, New Mexico or who or what was responsible for it all.

As for Lockheed's Project XO, it would meet an ignominious end, having been superseded by more cutting-edge aircraft. All that exists of it today except for a few scattered records is this overly-optimistic desk model found in an abandoned Calabasas, California office park.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:24:22 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Lockheed Project XO and the Roswell Incident
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »
This all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when I picked up a real classic, the 1/72 MPC/Airfix Northrop F-5E Tiger II. This one has been in the pile for at least a decade and I can't remember if it was an evil-bay find or something I picked up at a swap meet. Isn't that box art great? They sure don't make 'em like this anymore.

What's inside the box may not be that impressive by modern standards, but sure looks like it'll build up to a fine Freedom Fighter.

Of course, mine was going to be a little different.

I was stumped what to do with this kit until I found two spare 1/96 Vickers Viscount fins & rudders. The first set replaced the F-5E kit part and halves of the second set backed with card were used for the wings.

All I can say is thank goodness for modern, high-tech adhesives and Mr Tamiya's miracle putty. Once the PSR was done it was off to the paint shop.

The old hairy stick was trotted out again and loaded up with acrylics, Model Masters Primer Gray mostly.

A custom olive mix was used on the anti-glare panel and the nose was painted Model Masters Flat Black with Aluminum on the tip of the probe. The guns were given a custom gunmetal mix.

The canopy was tinted on the inside with Model Masters Insignia Blue. Speaking of which, that canopy isn't for an F-5 but came with a bagged Lavochkin La-15 that it didn't fit. It fit like a charm here which allowed me to save the original for an Italeri kit missing its canopy.

The burner cans were done in Model Masters Jet Exhaust.

Decals were a mix from spares but those large XOs were cobbled together from XC letters with a small slice used to turn the C into an O.

It only took me three days from start to finish and once the wings were on, things went very smoothly.

Before I forget, here's a couple of "money shots" (U.S. penny for scale):

I almost neglected to mention that I drilled out a hole in the bottom so I could use my original monster Airfix stand.

I'm always delighted when I can pose a finished model on this fine armature. Few things in life are as satisfying.

The flying saucer might look familiar since I built it out of spare kit stands to accompany my YF-94 Moonfire.

I hope you enjoyed this model and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history even if the Lockheed XO makes the so-called "experts" reach for the Haley's MO.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:24:12 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 10:42:09 AM »
Beautifique!!  I love both the model and the back story.  Yet another tidbit of artfully hidden history you've teased out.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 05:24:05 AM »
Very cool

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 10:20:30 AM »
Nice one Brian, another good looking kit bash

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 11:52:05 AM »
 ;)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
That sir, is wonderful!!

Gorgeous build and story!!

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 03:32:21 PM »
Errr, why was the RAAF at Roswell, New Mexico of all places?

Nice model, BTW, Brian.   :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 04:31:20 PM »

Sshh! It's a SECRET! ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 02:11:11 AM »
So thatz what XO looked like.  One swift jet and a fine build  :smiley:
Appreciate you gathering up right parts to this keen model of XO.
Yes --- "Yet another tidbit of artfully hidden history you've teased out."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:14:14 AM by finsrin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 02:49:30 AM »

Roswell Army Air Field (RAAF)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 08:24:20 AM »

Roswell Army Air Field (RAAF)

Ah.   That explains...everything.  I can feel the mind-control lasers taking control...  ;)

Offline JayBee

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 03:47:07 AM »
You know ther are some people on this forum who are truly INSANE, or OUT SANE as you might prefer. Define SANE please.
Keep going guys and Galls.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 04:48:21 AM »
I resemble that remark ----    ;D

Offline Robomog

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 02:29:55 PM »
You know ther are some people on this forum who are truly INSANE, or OUT SANE as you might prefer. Define SANE please.
Keep going guys and Galls.

I'm holding out for eccentric  ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 01:12:13 AM »
You need money to be eccentric...otherwise you're just daft! ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 08:34:30 AM »
You need money to be eccentric...otherwise you're just daft! ;D

I just checked my lottery tickets today. I’m daft....... :(

Offline Robomog

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 02:30:13 PM »
<sigh>  looks like I'm daft after all ........ or a poor eccentric  ha haaaa!  ;D ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<