Author Topic: 1/48 Sea Beau  (Read 36976 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/48 Sea Beau
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2018, 12:24:58 AM »
Thank you all, gents! It's nice to know people are looking & thinking about a build. :smiley: :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2018, 01:03:26 AM »
I'm hoping it looks a bit better under paint but it does, to me, look reasonably like a simplified/primitive version of the Tracker wing fold that inspired it.

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2018, 01:35:20 AM »
This build is so ambitious.  Way beyond me.  Best wishes for success.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2018, 02:46:47 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »
That inner wing detail is most impressive!

Totally agree ----- and very interested in what you come up for the hinge itself ----

The hinges or the fold mechanism? ???

The hinges are the little white bits protruding above the wings.

For the folding mechanism I'm cheating, big-time, & using the unused bits from the Tracker I chopped up to make the Grumman Grebe. ;)

Hinge/fold mechanism   :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2018, 07:53:18 AM »
Thanks, Greg! :smiley:

Edit: Oops! :-[ And Bill! :smiley:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:35:20 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2018, 11:42:34 PM »
You mean something like these?
Just and exactly like those.  ;D

You have things well in hand.

And what wing fold stay braces have you got experience with, if I may ask? Trackers?

Paul

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2018, 12:04:35 AM »
Yup! RAN FAA Able Seaman ATA (Air Technical Aircraft = Engines & Airframes) VS-851 playing with Grumman S2E/G Trackers. :))

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2018, 07:35:42 PM »
Damned impressive how symmetrical it all is.
Well done

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2018, 08:49:20 PM »
Thanks, Brian! :smiley:

Here's hoping I can do the same for the outer wing. ;)

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2018, 10:54:23 PM »
Yup! RAN FAA Able Seaman ATA (Air Technical Aircraft = Engines & Airframes) VS-851 playing with Grumman S2E/G Trackers. :))
Cool!

When I was in university in the late 70s/early 80s back in Newfoundland we used to get regular flyovers by two twin-radial aircraft. The Ex-RCN Trackers operating on fisheries patrol and Canso waterbombers.

And even within a building, you could tell the difference between the two. The Canso was very "blappy" in the exhaust noise while the Trackers had a better radial growl. That and the fact that the Canso noise seemed to hang forever in the air as the aircraft took about an hour and a half to cross the visible sky at low altitude. I sear I could see a Canso come into view as I stepped into class, attend the full lecture, finish the problem set and leave the room to still see it just passing the other horizon. I'm sure I could walk faster...

Paul

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »
Back onto this build. I hope to have it finished in time for the SA Scale Model Expo. :smiley:

Working on the outer wing elements of the wing-fold system. :o

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2019, 07:48:22 PM »
You know that SA expo is only two weeks away  ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2019, 08:34:40 PM »
Yes, I do, Brian, which is why I have leave from the 3rd, so I can get into some serious modelling time before the big weekend. ;)

SWMBO will, obviously, try to disrupt that as much as possible but I intend resisting vehemently. ::)

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2019, 09:54:06 PM »
SWMBO will, obviously, try to disrupt that as much as possible but I intend resisting vehemently. ::)
Where should we send the flowers and when is the funeral...

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2019, 06:45:27 PM »
For the back-seater's .50-cal, should I go with the lots-of-little-circles perforated cooling shroud or the fewer-slots-along-the-barrel perforated cooling shroud? ???

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2019, 09:36:25 PM »
For the back-seater's .50-cal, should I go with the lots-of-little-circles perforated cooling shroud or the fewer-slots-along-the-barrel perforated cooling shroud? ???
Metal, resin, or plastic?  At 1:48th scale, the details are going to be a challenge.  Sharp details to be had with the metal aftermarket replacement barrels but do they even offer the other "slotted" version of the Browning barrel?  I do not recall seeing anything recently so I am curious to know.  Also considering actual ability to see the difference is lost on some people due to lack of knowledge or visual impairment [Bi-Focals SUCK]. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2019, 07:05:34 AM »
Hi, Jeff!

I have GasPatch 1/48 Flexible Mount .50-cal's & they come with both barrel types, it's just a matter of deciding which to use. :smiley: ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
Well, color me absent minded.  Completely forgot about the GasPatch product line. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »
I'm leaning towards the lots-of-little-circlular-holes version because that's the only version I've seen in photo's but the fewer-long-slots version is my favourite & is what is referenced in the photo images in the US Army manual.

Decisions! Decisions! :-\

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2019, 05:06:36 PM »
Wing fold as is (I noticed a few things that need fixing when taking these photos);

Port side:

Starboard side:

Cheers! :icon_beer:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »
Looks good to me
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2019, 08:12:12 PM »
Terrific details! Coming along nicely!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »
Ta, lads! :smiley:

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2019, 09:57:59 PM »
Nothing improves a model more than building it on the sports page !  ;D

Love the detail going into this one

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............